Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Heh, when I see mold in there, my first instinct is that it's time to do another organized ride and get the freebie bottle.

-- gnat! (am I the only one that seems to have/get too many??)

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    (am I the only one that seems to have/get too many??)
    Oh, heck NO!
    We have an entire cabinet in the kitchen dedicated to water bottles!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

The problem is I only use a few (the insulated ones...)
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Gnat- I love the freebies! I used to only use Polar until I figured out they didn't seem to really hold their own against the Texas sun. I know the gas stations that will give me free ice on my preferred routes.

We throw out our bottles when they get moldy, they just never seem to get clean. This is another reason I stopped using the pricey Polar bottles. To avoid it they get rinsed with really hot water as soon as we are off the bikes.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Once the weather gets hot, I freeze a polar bottle full of stuff (top off). That really does last.

Me, too, Southern Belle. That way it'll stay cool in the hot weather. I thnk the Polar bottles are great.

I've also just put some liquid dishwasher soap in the Polar bottle and swished it around. Gets rid of the mold. My problem is the lipstick stains. My lipstick has high spf and feels good to me. I can even apply it while on the bike pretty successfully. Any suggestions to get that off? The dishwasher doesn't help much. I try to wipe it off as much as possible before putting the lids into the dishwasher.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Use vineagar instead of bleach.

And, I am currently doing some research on PET and water bottles and I highly recommend buying a stainless steel bottle. Also, not a good idea to freeze water in PET.

I am a big proponent of tap water vs. bottled as well... for some interesting reading about water storage, start here: http://www.bottledwaterblues.com/Water_Storage.cfm

and: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._make_you.html

more in-depth here: http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/20..._water_bottles

some discussion of nalgene here: http://www.sustainlane.com/reviews/b...ZTOU2TUUY9IVYD
    Last edited by indigoiis; 04-09-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    I can do five more miles.

indigo, what do you know about this new bPA-free polycarbonate? Is it safe?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    indigo, what do you know about this new bPA-free polycarbonate? Is it safe?
    I've picked up a few of the bisphenol-a free bottles and I like them a lot. They are also taste-free, which is a big plus.

Especially if you, um, accidentally forget about them and mold grows in them. Once they've been cleaned out they really truly smell/taste clean again. This is in stark contrast to all of the traditional water bottles I've used - once those pick up a mold stink/flavor, it is never gone. Yech.

Back to the OP's question... if you're not actually allergic/sensitive to mold, it probably won't cause you any harm. It's just a little grotty. *shrug*

So...what's the verdict? Are Nalgene bottles safe? Or should they go in the trash? I've read some stuff (including the link already posted), but wanted to know what others think....hard to tell if it's all hype.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    it COULD hurt you, use bleach. But don't worry about what you already drank. there's mold and mold spores EVERYWHERE and you are eating them every day.
    Oh, c'mon mimi! Penicillin was meant for the healin'!
    I enjoy it all.

See Susan Ride Like A Girl.
    http://susancyclist.wordpress.com/

Just wanted to add this article to the debate.

http://www.balancedlivingmag.com/200...0Hydration.htm

I've stopped buying bottled water (kids hate me)...oh well.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    So...what's the verdict? Are Nalgene bottles safe?
    It's funny, but I was looking up something for work (on whether polystyrene leaches in sodium hydroxide... hrm), but came across a lot of documentation about Nalgene that I mentally filed for later use.

What I remember is that Nalgene is great for regular use. It doesn't leach anything so long as you don't take it to any extreme, like:
    - Freeze it with stuff inside
    - Heat/boil it
    - Leave stuff in there too long (i.e., several days)

If all you're doing is filling it and drinking out of it, it's fine.

-- gnat!

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    It's funny, but I was looking up something for work (on whether polystyrene leaches in sodium hydroxide... hrm), but came across a lot of documentation about Nalgene that I mentally filed for later use.

What I remember is that Nalgene is great for regular use. It doesn't leach anything so long as you don't take it to any extreme, like:
    - Freeze it with stuff inside
    - Heat/boil it
    - Leave stuff in there too long (i.e., several days)

If all you're doing is filling it and drinking out of it, it's fine.

-- gnat!
    Gnat- Are you on the Specialized site? There is a thin, young female with Pink Dreds- you?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    I've picked up a few of the bisphenol-a free bottles and I like them a lot. They are also taste-free, which is a big plus.

Especially if you, um, accidentally forget about them and mold grows in them. Once they've been cleaned out they really truly smell/taste clean again. This is in stark contrast to all of the traditional water bottles I've used - once those pick up a mold stink/flavor, it is never gone. Yech.

Back to the OP's question... if you're not actually allergic/sensitive to mold, it probably won't cause you any harm. It's just a little grotty. *shrug*
    Hi D,

Where can I get such a bottle (bisphenol-a free bottles)? What do I look for them... I think they would use some sort of acronym instead of spelling it out.

And I really do hate that plastic taste and that plastic smell of some of the bottles. For hiking I had UDT water bottles from REI. They didn't have that plastic taste nor smell.

I used to pour boilling hot water and let it set and leach out that smell and taste before I used a new bottle.

smilingcat