Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I bought a pair of very lightly padded cycling "underwear" from REI. They are for cycling but not for public display. I usually wear a knee length skirt with either some short cycling shorts or my REI underwear. I'm in and out of the grocery store, bank, library, LBS, etc. and feel more comfortable being "dressed."

The REI thing is an actual chamious but not very thick so I can wear it under pants, skirt, etc. My in-town riding is usually between 5 to 12 miles a day. Sometimes I wear a lycra scort that I bought from Terry this is not padded (dumb me -- I bought it for cycling) so I can go without a chamious but don't think I'd like to try jeans.

Occasionally I'll wear my regular clothes on my bike, but I like to wear a pair of cycling shorts as well as a quick dry shortsleeve shirt under whatever top I'll wear. This way if I'm going someplace where I can't change my clothes I'll be comfy on my ride and hopefully not too sweaty. A fast trip to the washroom and I can mop up excessive sweat and reapply deodorant.

Kit and I did a nice 24 mi. on Sunday in jeans. My butt felt okay - no brooks. Her butt hurt - brooks saddle. She mostly rides in jeans around town, usually 5mi and under, no problems then. I ride 10mi one way to work on a nonpadded saddle, nonpadded tri shorts - no problem. I personally can't put my behind on a brooks. It kills me. Everyone is very different. Try switching out the saddle or maybe just wearing undies that don't have a seam running across your sit bone area, like boxer briefs.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Try switching out the saddle or maybe just wearing undies that don't have a seam running across your sit bone area, like boxer briefs.
    Ibex Roaster Boxers (women's) are absolutely heavenly on the bike. As are UnderArmour women's long inseam compression shorts. Fit great under regular clothes, and no chamois to over-pad or get soggy.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Though I don't wear street clothing anymore on bike and haven't for eons, it's still interesting to read this thread.

I'm still trying to figure out how some women can cycle in longish swirly skirts. I guess it must the chainguard protectors...and something to cover spokes partially. However one doesn't see such bikes hardly here even in cycling-intensive North American cities.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how some women can cycle in longish swirly skirts. I guess it must the chainguard protectors...and something to cover spokes partially. However one doesn't see such bikes hardly here even in cycling-intensive North American cities.
    When I do ride in a skirt (extremely rare) I tie it up with an elastic band or a knot if it's long enough...

I biked in my wedding dress but it was relatively short (just below the knee) and the bike had a chain protector.

I commute 4 - 5km each way and don't have problems, and I do ride in "regular" clothes - you know, jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    I biked in my wedding dress but it was relatively short (just below the knee) and the bike had a chain protector.
    Do you believe in polygamy? Marry me!

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Yes, my bike when I was at Uni had a chain guard and these plastic things that went from the mud-guards over the top of the wheels. I had no problem cycling with longish skirts (and my academic gown streaming out behind).

Just now, my partner reported to me that while he and his cycling buddy were cycling Paris for past 2 days, he did notice several different women all in wonderful long leather boots with a significant heel and dressed decently, in some cases looking model-like.

To him, seeing this several times, he wonders if it's a in-vogue thing for some cycling ladies in Paris.

Reminds me just last week, I saw a cycling woman wearing a beautiful set of tall leather boots, matching thigh-length coat, and she had a very large gorgeous matching leather large zippered and expensive-looking tote on her one shoulder... she was in this gear, mounting a 10% grade hill.

I wouldn't wear such an outfit, for fearing of sweating up the outfit quickly.

I saw tons of women in Florence and Siena dressed this way, commuting to work. It was in flat areas, but there were enough hills around to know that they might have had to go up one on the way home.
    I love nice clothes, but I could never ride, even a mile, dressed like that!

This is what he saw in paris when he was cycling around yesterday in the heart of the city.

Now I know it's not black boots that turn him on, it's mini-skirt and tall black boots on bike...and knowing him he would be totally impresssed if I did hills in this outfit..
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-17-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Fun in boots!

OMG I love this thread, I'm gonna have to dig me up some boots like that chic in Paris! What a great pic!

I originally came on here to find out info on my wonderful UTI that keeps coming back when I ride, but I think it might be the chamois that's making matters worse. I rode 12 miles one day with a friend and didn't put on my shorts, no problem. I have been trying to get 'prepared' to do 32 miles round trip to work on a commuter bike but I got sidelined with a UTI. I think most of it was dehydration, however, I think there is something to the no chamois. I don't do much road riding but since I came to New England for work, I'm kinda like a bear out of the mountains But I'm finding dirt when I can...

I'll probably try it without as soon as I can get back in the saddle.

BTW I'm in New England right now, if you are in this area, Ocean State Job Lot, believe it or not, has cute Russell skorts that are $10. We don't have the Job Lot in Calif. I wish! No padding but I'm going to try it sans padding, and maybe check out the REI underwear someone was talking about...

In all likelyhood, your 'bum' is just not accustomed to the pressure. Time and repetative riding will take care of that, probably with whatever saddle or clothes you ride, if you're only riding 2 miles. I agree with the ealier quote "Maybe you just have to (re)build up the appropriate butt callouses???".... yes, ditto here.

For the longer distances, I have found that narrower saddles, and not too padded, are most comfortable. My favorite saddle is Terry Liberator (for men) and I have two and keep switching those two on the bikes I ride most (have 4 alltogether) . I am too fat right now, but when I am even 20 pounds lighter, I can wear Gramicci pants comfortably, and they have a nice gusset so I'm not sitting on any big knots of seams in the crotch. So, one or both of those tricks, helps me stay comfortable longer.
    Last edited by jayjay; 05-05-2008 at 06:01 AM.
    Saving Myself ~ One Bike Ride At A Time

I did my first 'official' commute on Baby Blue today, but wore pants. That was mostly because it was chilly. I plan on trying it in a skirt soon though. I'll let you know how that works.