Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rear rack trunk bags

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,
    I'm in need of a new trunk bag. I currently have the Trek Interchange but one of the side zippers is going. I think that I've overstuffed it too many times and may have stretched the nylon around it or something. I like using a trunk bag when I don't have much to carry. Perhaps I should just break down and get a pannier.

Do any of you use a trunk bag? Any recommendations?

We use a Arkel as seen here on our tandem:

It's a very nice bag.

http://www.arkel-od.com/specs.asp?fl=1&site=

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I don't have a trunk rack, but if I were to get one, I'd get an Arkel. I have an Arkel laptop pannier and I'm very impressed with it.

I use this one from REI. It does a fine job of carrying safety gear, extra clothing, and my lunch.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

That is nice. I like the adjustable staps to make it even more aerodynamic.

The red really goes nice with your tandem.

Do they just velcro on to the rack?

Yes, attaches with velcro. It also includes a built in rain cover that we've used several times - all unplanned. It's a very nice bag and can expand. It also has some straps on top to stuff a jacket under if needed.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I really like Axiom racks and trunks and it's manufactured in Canada.

I have the REI deluxe version of the one DebW posted. It's a little more ($55), but it's a bit bigger. I love the side zip pockets for quick access at traffic stops and it's also got a built in rain cover.

http://www.rei.com/product/733835
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Wow...Mr. SR500....
    That's a pretty slick Arkel trunk bag. I was checking out that weblink, and a local LBS is a dealer and could order it for me (but I'd have to buy it...I'd prefer to just "kick the tires" first, as I don't know if I can justify such a champagne bag for my beer needs). Sounds like you like it....any other pros/cons to offer?

p.s. Coyote...is the nylon ripped/wrecked? Can you just repair the zipper??
    Last edited by 7rider; 04-03-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Wow...Mr. SR500....
    That's a pretty slick Arkel trunk bag. I was checking out that weblink, and a local LBS is a dealer and could order it for me (but I'd have to buy it...I'd prefer to just "kick the tires" first, as I don't know if I can justify such a champagne bag for my beer needs). Sounds like you like it....any other pros/cons to offer?

We use it for the local tour rides, often around 50 miles. Bag is great size for that. Easily holds all the tubes, tools, CO2, etc... Plus room for maps, snacks, extra clothes, etc... It has waterproof zippers as well, and while it not complete protected for continued exposure, it will keep stuff dry for at least a day in heavy rain. The rear can hold two flashing lights. Has d-rings for a shoulder strap.

We bought ours direct, and they are made in Canada. While not cheap, it's very well made and a quality bag. Also has a lifetime warranty.

P.S. If you buy direct you can return it no questions asked.

The Arkel stuff is gorgeous! I've been coveting the panniers and rack bag for weeks trying to figure out which ones to buy for the C&O Canal trip in October. A friend showed me his collection of red Arkel panniers - he has about 8, assorted sizes. The workmanship is perfect, and the details and pockets seem to be pretty conveniently designed. He had me try riding with a set (empty) to see how it felt. Didn't even notice them. But it was so windy I can see where the wind could make riding a fully loaded bike, well interesting. We did 27 miles in 25kt winds, - 13 miles due east into the wind, and 14 back with nice tailwind.

None of the shops here carry Arkel, but they said they would order it in for me when I was ready. If the price will be the same (or maybe even a little less with club discount) I'll let them do the ordering. I just need to decide what size and if I want the full internal waterproofing or just use dry bags, and the rain covers. So many decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Wow...Mr. SR500....

Bikes at Vienna in Vienna, Virginia carries Arkel bags and they might well have some to kick!

great commuter bag

http://penncyclebuy.stores.yahoo.net/07babrratopp.html

I have a Trek that's like this and I paid $80. This Banjo Brothers is equally as nice and won't break the bank. I bought one for my boss at Xmas and Melalvai (on TE forums) has one and likes it. I think the side bags are actually a bit bigger on this bag than my Trek which would be nice.

Just thinking out loud here...I'm on the verge of ordering an Arkel trunk bag for my France trip...I was planning on using my small Axiom panniers and just use a shoulder strap when I'm off the bike, but they are still a big. I'll only be doing day trips on the bike, so I won't need something so big as my panniers. On the other hand, I already have the panniers, and the trip is already adding up. On the other hand (how many hands do I have?) the Arkel with a shoulder strap can be used just for walking around, too, on the days when I just want to walk around the Marais and cafe-hop. On the other hand, I have a just-fine-thank-you purse I could bring for those days...

I'll ponder it for 24 hours.

Just to toss in a couple more (small-scale) ideas....I just bought two Ortlieb bags for my road bike for a week-long tour I'm doing in a couple of weeks. I only need space for stuff during the day, so don't need a trunk bag or panniers. (Yet, LOL!)....I decided to get TWO bags, one for the handlebar, one for the seat---that way I have plenty of room if I use both. But, if I don't need loads of space, I can grab one and leave the other behind.

After reading various threads here on TE, my solution was to get Ortlieb's Compact handlebar bag, plus their largest under seat bag, both of which pop on and off with ease, neither of which takes up a lot of space.

Ortlieb handlebar bag (compact)
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...p?pid=90&cid=2 ($61-66)

Ortlieb saddlebag (3 sizes)
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...p?pid=39&cid=2 ($35-$44)

I bought both at thetouringcompany.com from owner Wayne. Nice fellow, quick service. He was the only source I could find for a plain black Compact handlebar bag---I didn't want gray or the bright colors. The handlebar bag, by the way, comes in two larger sizes, too.

The Compact is big enough for a wallet, small lunch, tools, spare tube, small camera. Not quite big enough to include a jacket, too. It locks onto the handlebar with a key; or, if not locked, pops off completely with just a push of a button. Looks just like a purse. (Shoulder strap included.)

The other bag---the large saddlebag---will easily hold a light jacket, tools, lunch, wallet, spare tube, camera. Because it has a roll-up closure, it can expand or contract somewhat to fit the contents. Unlike the handlebar bag, the saddlebag doesn't lock onto the bike.

Both were very easy to install. And both got a rain-worthiness test a couple of nights ago---passed with flying colors.....
    Last edited by KathiCville; 04-08-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Adding rain test
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)