Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm #113. That's even older than my Wii Fit age!

I'm getting a little worried about preparation for the ride, though.

#1 - I'm not sure I'll be up to the singing portion. Can I just concede defeat right now?
    #2 - I'm pretty sure I can hold my own thru the whining leg of the ride.
    #3 - If I bring beer and a bottle opener, does that make up for #1?

One big decision to make: which bike to bring? I'm leaning towards the Trek with its Brooks saddle, nice low gears and short reach brifters. Also, I know for a fact that I can ride it all day and stay comfy. But it's mighty tempting to bring the Merlin....
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    One big decision to make: which bike to bring? I'm leaning towards the Trek with its Brooks saddle, nice low gears and short reach brifters. Also, I know for a fact that I can ride it all day and stay comfy. But it's mighty tempting to bring the Merlin....
    Well, I'd love to see the Merlin.

Would it be worth putting a bigger cassette on the Merlin? Perhaps we could talk LeeBob into doing it for you, he swaps out casettes all the time. It might mean putting an XT (or equivalent) rear derrailer on but he's done that a lot as well. He's very easy to bribe.

Speaking of seeing bikes, I saw your Trek at Crank2 today! I think it recognized me.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

It would be worth it.

Also, get up there a day or so early so you can acclimate. I learned this the hard way when I took a train from portland to K-Falls for the start of a bike tour. First night I rode from K-Falls to Chemult and I was whooped. Normally I deal with altitude changes pretty well, but every once in a while, the altitude wins.
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Well, I'd love to see the Merlin.

Would it be worth putting a bigger cassette on the Merlin? Perhaps we could talk LeeBob into doing it for you, he swaps out casettes all the time. It might mean putting an XT (or equivalent) rear derrailer on but he's done that a lot as well. He's very easy to bribe.

Speaking of seeing bikes, I saw your Trek at Crank2 today! I think it recognized me.
    Did you buy anything cool at Crank2? How are Bryon and Peg doing? How's Napoleon (my Trek) looking? Still the old handlebars & tape?

Yeah, the more I ride the Merlin, the more I'm tempted to make it my low gear bike. It's just really solid on the descents and very comfortable to ride. Maybe next weekend work and cars will cooperate and I can take it out for more than 40 miles.

LeeBob can swap cassettes and derailleurs? Oh no, my crush on him now knows no bounds!

Also, get up there a day or so early so you can acclimate. I learned this the hard way when I took a train from portland to K-Falls for the start of a bike tour. First night I rode from K-Falls to Chemult and I was whooped. Normally I deal with altitude changes pretty well, but every once in a while, the altitude wins.
    BIAK, I'm a little worried about how I'll do in the altitude. Unfortunately, there's a work deadline the Wednesday after the ride, so I'm lucky to be getting Friday off to drive up there. My plan is to bring plenty of Vitamin I and drink lots of water. And whine a lot. And remind myself that however hard climbing at altitude is, it's a lot more fun than working during the weekend. I'll let you know how well the strategy works after the ride's over!
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

BIAK, I'm a little worried about how I'll do in the altitude. Unfortunately, there's a work deadline the Wednesday after the ride, so I'm lucky to be getting Friday off to drive up there. My plan is to bring plenty of Vitamin I and drink lots of water. And whine a lot. And remind myself that however hard climbing at altitude is, it's a lot more fun than working during the weekend. I'll let you know how well the strategy works after the ride's over!
    Whining is theraputic. Plenty of water is always useful. Plenty of patience is even better.
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

Starting the whine fest now. Today's ride hurt. Very few hills but a frickin' headwind now matter which way our heads were turned.

Also, just letting you folks know that I'm not sure what Bubba's full ride plans will be. A few weeks ago, he did a spectacular endo in front of the Grand Pois (that would be Mr. MP) and is really just now starting to have a normal pedal stroke.

So roll call?

SK and Bubba
    The Bobs
    aka_kim
    melissam
    The Taters
    The GLCs

California contingent - when do you expect to hit Klamath Falls? For those of you who haven't made the drive in a while, remember that the eats stop in Weed and even the gas stations may be closed in Dorris if you drive through late. Just gas up in Weed, it's easiest.

Grog? We got an email earlier this week that a few registrations were still available. Just in case . . .
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.