Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need recommendation for a replacement road tire

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, while cleaning the bike this evening getting all of the water off, I noticed that the rear tire has a slice taken off from the sidewall. I think it'll be ok, but tomorrow, on the ride home, I'm going to pick up a replacement tire.

So, that brings up the question, what's a good 700C x 23 tire? I have Vittoria Zaffiro's on the wheels now. What I'm looking for is low rolling resistance, puncture resistance, but good performance in the rain, since I commute, rain or shine. I'd prefer something that'll last a while, but I know that as longevity increases, something has to lessen, usually performance in the wet.

I also don't want to sell the truck to afford the tires. So, does anyone have any suggestions?

Mel

Personally, I like Vredesteins. One of the best tires I've ever ridden in the wet and they seem to last forever. Retail is ~$40US per tire for folding (kevlar bead).

I'm running Schwalbe Stelvio tires on my road bike. My road bike is a Bike Friday which has 20" tires - but actually the fact that I'm happy with the tires on that bike is a good thing since little tires wear faster (more revolutions for the same distance!). I'd happily use (the larger circumference version of) these tires on a 700c or 650 tire. They are a bit pricey though - I just checked the Schwalbe site, and they are running $32 each for wired tires, and $45 for folding.
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 03-04-2005 at 05:51 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Thanks pedalfaster and Denise. One of the requirements is it has to be available at one of the LBS'. The tire isn't punctured completely through, but the cut is through at least the outer and one other layer. So, it's probably semi-safe to ride on today, but, on the way, definately picking up a replacement.

Another requirement, that came up last night while I was changing the tire, is no wire beads. I spent probably 30 min alone getting the bead off then back on last night. I wanted to reinforce that area of the tire with a one dollar bill.

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    , I wanted to reinforce that area of the tire with a one dollar bill.
    Mel
    Are you sure you're a beginner?
    When you said you wanted to ride the tire one more time I was just about to suggest that trick!

I hear ya on the wire beads!

Quote Originally Posted by pedalfaster
    Are you sure you're a beginner?
    When you said you wanted to ride the tire one more time I was just about to suggest that trick!

I hear ya on the wire beads!
    heh. Well, I did use to ride a mtn bike inorder to get exercise, but it was never on a regular basis. I learned the dollar bill trick, however, when I went to a basic bike maint class that my local LBS held. It was cold and drizzling slightly, but my husband and I decided to ride like we had planned to. We were the only ones in the class that did. :P

The guy teaching it mentioned that he was glad someone rode into class.

Mel

If you want to check out some reviews on the tires your LBS carries, check out this website:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/

That's where I check out the roadie gear, since this stuff is still pretty foreign to a mountain biker like me. I just bought some Continental Ultra 2000 tires (700 x 23) on sale at Supergo. They were about half-price at $14.95, the reviews were OK, and I figured that at that price, I couldn't go wrong. Even with the expense of shipping, they were cheaper than most of the good tires at the LBS. They are wire bead, but I didn't have a bit of trouble putting them on. In fact, I put them on without using the tire irons, something I can rarely do. I've ridden about 40 miles or so on them so far, and they seem fine.

Continentals

I love the Continental 4-season tires. A bit pricey, yes and they have a wire bead (I've heard tossing the tire in the dryer to warm it up & then put it on works...). BUT, for gripping the road they cannot be beat. They last a long time too. My front tire still had that little rubber lip thing in the middle of the tire after 100 miles. What do you call that anyway?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I also ride the Conti's and love them. They see a lot of rough back country roads, sand, salt and glass without any problem.

So, I ended up going with the Kenda Koncept, in yellow. Nice high visibility. I went looking for the Continental Ultra 2000's, but they were out at my local Supergo.

So far, I love the tires. They have a max pressure of 110, which is where I normally inflate my tires too. The tire is also natural rubber and has a nice smooth ride.

Mel

after 9 flats in a 3 week period , and that is AFTER replacing the first tire which flatted the initial 4 times, (5 more flats on next THREE rides!) I finally put a DuraSkin on the back wheel... not as fast as a race tire, but the time I save not stopped changing a flat has made it worth it! I commute too and (knock on wood) have yet to flat on this tire... and have ridden 2 century's on them in the last 2 months too!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

i've had great luck with my michelin pro's. hubby just got the continental 3000's and likes them so far!

Continental - GP Force.