Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Seriously, my head hurts - so many things to learn!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Every time I think I learn something about cycling, it opens up 10 more questions, lol.

My biggest issue lately has been shoes. My bike came with clipless pedals, so I figured I needed clipless road shoes. I bought a pair of SIDI road shoes on eBay...but I don't have cleats (I had no idea the pedals are supposed to have hardware). I asked the guy at my LBS today what type of cleats I need and he said he doesn't even know what kind of pedal is on my bike. It's apparently some kind of older clipless kind?? So now I guess I need new pedals.

Now I have these road shoes, so I guess I need SPD-SL pedals. I wish I would have known, because after reading through some of the posts, I kind of wish I had gone for MTB pedals (don't know how I'm going to walk in these road shoes).

So that means more $$$ - it just keeps creeping up!

Okay, sorry - that ended up quite ranty. I'm just really so confused and none of the people I talk to at the LBS ride road bikes, so they aren't really a ton of help.

My sidi's fit two types of cleats. The SPD ones, and the bigger, bulkier ones from Look. Perhaps you can check the bottom of your shoe and see if both options work? I know that some online bike stores sell the Look Keo Elle pedals with the new cleats from Look, they have rubber pads to make walking easier. Here's the link: http://www.westernbikeworks.com/prod...il.asp?p=LOEL8

Don't go throwing good money after bad.
    Have you ridden clipless before?
    Throw some cheap platform pedals on there, ride in sneaks for a while and do some homework.

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Sounds like the LBS guy is just trying to sell you something. Find out what kind of pedals they are and buy the cleats for them.

If need be, post a picture of them and somebody here could tell you.

What's sad is that I *am* trying to do my homework, lol. It's just that there are so many things I don't know that I don't know. I thought I only needed clipless road shoes with cleats - I had no idea there was supposed to be hardware with the pedals. No one says - "the best choice is to get X shoes with Y pedals and so you will need the following things..." There are so many possible combinations! Like I said, every time I think I have figured out what I need, I find out I need to research 10 more things, lol.

So I was looking over the pedal and I'm wondering if maybe they are SPD-R pedals. It looks like they have have two bolts - and that would make sense why he said they were an outdated style. I'll try to get a pic up later.

So now do I get pedals to go with the road shoes I just bought or try to sell off the road shoes and get a whole new pedal/shoe system?? Oi, my head!

outdated? If they're SPD's old or new, they ought to work just fine.
    A lot of road bike riders have MTB shoes, for that very reason, we need to walk in them.
    YOu're getting an education; in the future, when you're in doubt ASK before you buy. We're here to help!

Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Step one is to realize I should always be in doubt, even if I think I know, lol!

I think the SPD-R will work with my shoes, but I do need to somehow find cleats. The LBS didn't carry them...according to the LBS guy, because they are outdated.

Thanks ladies - this place is awesome and has been a huge help already! Scary to think I'm still this clueless even after the extensive reading I've done on here!

Quote Originally Posted by spotlightmama View Post
    I think the SPD-R will work with my shoes, but I do need to somehow find cleats. The LBS didn't carry them...according to the LBS guy, because they are outdated.
    Translation of your LBS "we don't have them in stock and don't know how to order them". I wear MTB style shoes on all my bikes, and yes, Sidi makes a MTB style shoe (if you wear 38s, you want 'em??)

I've had a series of LBS try to sell me similar cleats that are less expensive than the ones I use. Those I could clip in with .... but not out

When I need new cleats I my old pair of shoes with me or go to my fave LBS who listens to me

Quote Originally Posted by spotlightmama View Post
    Thanks ladies - this place is awesome and has been a huge help already! Scary to think I'm still this clueless even after the extensive reading I've done on here!
    Yes we are. Welcome to TE or as we call it "heaven for women cyclists" Have you surfed on over to the "Getting to Know You" thread yet?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Translation of your LBS "we don't have them in stock and don't know how to order them". I wear MTB style shoes on all my bikes, and yes, Sidi makes a MTB style shoe (if you wear 38s, you want 'em??)
    lol - I think you are very right on your translation! And that is such a very generous offer - thank you! Unfortunately, two babies made my feet waay bigger than that. I think I need more like a 41 - but again, thanks for the offer!!

*off to "introduce myself" in the other thread*

I liked Zen's advice -- ask your LBS for a pair of throw-away (for them) platform petals and ask them to put them on your bike. And start riding.

And maybe shortly you'll find an LBS where there is someone more helpful or get it all sorted out here. (Can you post photos of your clipless pedals? Someone on this forum will recognize them and point you in the right direction.)

I felt overwhelmed trying to buy all the right stuff. Now that I'm settling into my comfortable riding style, I'm finding that most of the stuff that was so "necessary" isn't really all that useful to me. Guess I'm glad I have it all (now that I know what it is all for!) but I could have by-passed the buying frenzy in the beginning. (And saved if for now -- when I really know what I want)

Now I "realize" I need some Sidis (just found out what they were recently) -- will be doing a century soon and the shoes I've been using the last two years won't cut it. But I'm glad I didn't start out in the Sidis because I have really gotten proficient with riding clipless with my very loose and easy mtn bike shoes.

But, a lot of the fun and excitement at first was getting all this stuff figured out and getting all the new gear! Have fun and welcome to the forum.

The ladies here have really gotten me, and many others, on the right track.