Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by nancyBug View Post
    Earlier in the week I emailed someone from a biking club here in Knoxville - also all women - and she replied earlier today. I have heard this group of women are really strong and very good so I'm not sure if I will be able to ride with them for a while - just depends on what type rides they have upcoming. I hope they will be open to an overweight person like me - it kind of sounded like these ladies are quite athletic - way beyond my current situation.
    Maybe not, but you'll never know until you go out and see what they're like. I shied away from riding with the local club for a long time because I'm not fast by any measure. Also, their distances (which seem normal to me now) scared me. Just by chance I found myself riding alongside one of the club's women by herself on a local trail one day, and she encouraged me to come out the next Saturday. Sure, most of them were--and still are--a lot faster than me, but I found a couple of riders who are just right for me. They challenge me some, but not so much that it's not do-able.

It took some courage to make that first club ride, but I've never regretted it. Yesterday, on a quick 20-miler, I was able to keep in front of a couple of the guys!!!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Hey Nancy
    I was so encouraged to see your post. I live in Knoxville too! I found TE by googling the exact question that you had. I am so happy to know that I am not the only one out there with the same concerns and questions as you. Like you I also require a "girls" bike at 5'2" with a 28" inseam it seems like there aren't a lot of bikes out there. But have hope. Right now I have a Haro mountain bike, and it's really a beast to try and ride. I am looking at getting a bike I can sit up right on. Also I know that it is a bit farther but try West End Bikes in Farragut. Very nice people and didn't give me the "look" you know what I mean..the "why are YOU in here" look. I know I hold myself back in a lot of ways because of low self esteem. I have been very over weight my whole life and made fun of, so it's sort of scary to get out there. I hope to see you around.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Welcome to TE, yael! Feel free to ask all sorts of questions here. These women are a great resource, and a whole lot of fun. I've even met a few in person! Maybe you and Nancy can get together for a ride sometime.

My unasked for advice is to just ride your bike! (oh, and eat an apple every day--really.)

-Julie

Smile Hi

I am so glad I found this forum you ladies are full of so much information. I am afraid to say I am way to over weight i am 5'5 and about 280. I used to ride all the time, I am hopefully getting my new bike next month. I cant wait. The bike I have now wont hold my weight at least I dont think it will I am afraid to try it. What is a good distance to start out at. I would love to be able to do a charity ride by next sprin/summer.
    I want to thankyou all for any advise you could give me
    Tina

Welcome, '88. I was your weight (and height) when I started, so you CAN, CAN, CAN ride! Your fitness level could well be higher than mine as I had never much in the way of aerobic exercise. We live in a hilly rural area, so I identified the flattest "around the block" loop I could - it was 3 miles. I had to stop a LOT at first. I was also lurking on TE (I also was doing spin classes at the gym.) Then magic moments came - "here's my stopping place, oh hey, I don't feel like I need to stop" "well, my loop is done, I can go home, wow, I'm gonna try it a second time!" The charity ride is a great goal. Listen to your body and don't overdo, and give yourself LOTS of sweet talk for getting started.

Feel free to PM me anytime. bikes = miracles!

Nancy

don't worry about the weight - get out to your local bike shop and try a few bikes, a hybrid, a cross and a road is a good place to start. a comfort or mountain bike will (possibly) be slower than you want. The best place to start is with a test ride. bring your helmet and comfortable clothes. don't buy based on color or brand, buy what feels good. the better it feels (and ask for the bike to be fit to you) the better chance you will actually ride!
    180 lbs and on a road bike...

Overweight cycling newbie

I've found cycling to be the most centering/exhilariting activity I've ever participated in.
    Unfortunately, I'm at the heaviest weight I've ever been, nearing 50 years old, and not feeling good enough about myself to participate in any other group activities that I enjoyed over the years (such as volleyball, softball or soccer). Discovering biking last summer was truly the best thing that has happened to me in a very long time. However, living in Nebraska, the weather is a huge factor...but summer is nearly here, so I'm pumped.

Too all those who pull on the biking shorts and head out, regardless....I raise my water bottles to you!!!!!

TE and encouragement

Last summer I found TE when I was looking for bike shorts that fit. I too hate lycra. So I bought mountain bike shorts (the padding and lycra are against my skin and there is a baggier outer short (which I think looks better and makes me less self conscience) Shorts are very important! The padding can make your ride so much better. Don't worry about what other people think because it doesn't matter. Your doing this for you.

I use to ride a lot when I was younger, my husband rides miles upon miles every summer. So last summer I got on my bike and just started riding up and down my road (just like I would when I was little) I tried to ride at least 5 miles a day and it felt great, some days I would do 10. This summer I signed up for a charity ride in July. I live in New England, count on hills (lots of hills), but the bike tours are very well organized. At least Bike Vermont is.

You will love riding...JUST DO IT!