Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, Nancybug, just a ps about what I do riding in the heat. I do ride in 100+ temps, and it gets quite muggy here in PA - and being a big rider, I can start to overheat on inclines. So, I wear a wet bandanna around my neck - the evaporation/cooling process makes me feel like it's many degrees cooler. I also make sure that one of my water bottles is just H20 so that I can squirt it on my back. Between those 2 strategies, I'm probably more comfortable than the people sitting on their porches watching me ride by!

Hi Nancy!

I can tell you from personal experience that your weight is fine for a road bike. A couple years ago I was over 347lbs. (Not anymore -- yaya me!). I have a Specialized Vita, and I even have some snooty comp wheels my husband put on and it was fine.

Admittedly though, when my husband put the wheels on I was like, "Uh, where did all the spokes go?" "No way is that ever going to hold my a$$!" It did... now at 212 (and still dropping), those same wheels are fine and have never had to be trued-up, but we did check them from time-to-time when the bike was tuned up.

Congrats on your decision to ride. It was the best thing I ever did. I am no pro, but I certainly enjoy it. Next weekend I'll be doing my first MS150.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by latelatebloomer View Post
    So, I wear a wet bandanna around my neck - the evaporation/cooling process makes me feel like it's many degrees cooler.
    You can also sew these into a little pocket and fill it with ice at the start, so it melts down your front or back and stays wet longer. Also, the motorcycle gear catalogs have some great stuff for cooling riders down.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Wow - I am so encouraged !!!

Keeping cool - (which is "one"on my biggest concerns) sounds quite doable and now I know there are bikes that really will support my weight - I was so afraid that would be a bigger issue than it is, I just need to choose wisely.

Earlier in the week I emailed someone from a biking club here in Knoxville - also all women - and she replied earlier today. I have heard this group of women are really strong and very good so I'm not sure if I will be able to ride with them for a while - just depends on what type rides they have upcoming. I hope they will be open to an overweight person like me - it kind of sounded like these ladies are quite athletic - way beyond my current situation.

And - DonnaInHouston - CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and riding !!!! I want to be back here a year from now reporting similar progress - you are amazing.

I am hoping to go by the bicycle stores tomorrow - at least one of them. I have found that there are several in the area. Now that I have a much better idea of the type of bike and some suggested brands -- I am better equipped to shop.

I consider this purchase a little like buying a car, while not nearly as pricey - I have to arm myself with knowledge before I walk in the door.

After the visits to the shops - chances are I will be back with more questions. I sometimes impulse buy - but only smaller things. This purchase needs to last me for a while.... so I won't jump into it but don't won't to procrastinate either by over-analyzing -- which I often do

Thanks again !!!!

Nancy - great on your decision to start cycling!

I have a Bianchi Volpe which is a steel touring bike and I love it. I do my grocery shopping on it and some longer weekend rides. I have panniers and a tail rack and use it as my workhorse. Plus it is light enough for me to lift it onto a bike rack on my local bus service if I need to.

Any of the bike shops which handle Bianchi brand can order the correct size for you. And you can take a look at it if you Google Bianchi Volpe.

As to the heat. riding early in the morning or late evening is one "work around." Plenty of fluids are a must but if you ride less than 30 or 45 minutes, carry water rather than the 120-calorie (or more) water bottle full of sports drink.

The fear about and aversion to the heat, the hills, the wind, the traffic are all more troubling than the reality of actually being out there and riding!

There is something about smelling the flowers, having the time to look at your surroundings and knowing that what I'm doing is so healthy and beneficial for me and the world that allows all the fear and worry to fall away and enjoy how much fun cycling is!

The most important thing is to get started. The best piece of cycling advice I ever got was from Triskiliongirl when I went on a group ride with her: Just keep pedaling!

Hey Lauren, and since that ride we did together I am now 35 lbs lighter. Yes, this sport is great, and together with the right nutrition lets us all achieve optimum health.

I started something new a few months ago. I choose a hero every day. Not always someone famous, not always a human! That feller will be my hero tomorrow. (Today was Maya Angelou, she just turned 80, shine on Ms. Maya!)

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Hi NancyBug! I just wanted to tell you how you are an inspiration for ladies everywhere who shy away from cycling because they think they have to be a greyhound to enjoy it. I hope you find the perfect bike and will soon enjoy the benefits of spinning those wheels down a back country road. I am very proud of you!

I live in one of those humid, muggy, and hot states and I can tell you that having the right clothing will make a big difference in your cycling enjoyment. My husband and I both like to wear Under Armor shirts that are available in summer and winter weight fabrics. The t-shirts really do help wick and transfer moisture from the skin so you'll stay cool as a cucumber as you pedal those miles away. Since the ladies tops run a little small, you might want to consider the men's sizes. TE also offers extended sizes in clothing and they have great sales too!

When you get your bike, please be sure and post lots of pics. We love meeting gals who's lives have been transformed on two wheels. Good luck and enjoy the cycling season.

Quote Originally Posted by nancyBug View Post
    - DonnaInHouston - CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and riding !!!! .... - you are amazing.
    And good luck on the MS 150, welcome to TE
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I just went through the process of buying my first road bike and I learned a lot of stuff (and asked a bunch of embarassing questions). It helped that I had a friend I could ask "Privately" some of the sillier ones. If you want to e-mail me for any advice (I'm a relative beginner having ridden a hybrid for a while), please do so!

It is way harder than buying a car because it has to FIT. A car just has to look good and have the options you want and be in your price range. Bikes are much trickier (in my inexperienced little opinion). I have learned so much about geometries, components, frames, etc. in the last few months.

I'm an engineer by training so I have to do amazing amounts of research. I would love to share what I've learned. Just ask!

Cindy (who is anxiously awaiting delivery of THE bike!)

Ooh, ooh--I'm just seeing this thread now, but if you haven't gotten your bike yet, Nancy, check out this one on eBay:
    Terry Classic
    This is a good-quality bike for a rockin' price.

BTW, I'm no lightweight myself. I have no useful advice to add, since everyone else has already offered plenty, but I do want to add my words of support. And keep this in mind: spandex is slimming!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

I wonder if that Terry Classic would fit someone 4'10"...I am looking for a new commuter...But, alas, I think even 17" is too big for me...

That bike would probably make a great commuter, but I don't know about the size. My old Terry had a 19-inch frame, fit me great, and I'm 5'2", so it's not out of the question, but questionable enough that you'd want to be able to ride it--or something in its size--before plunking down your hard-earned cash.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Don't let your weight keep you from biking. As others have said, plenty of people are overweight (me included). I have foot, knee and shoulder problems that prevent me from doing most common forms of exercise, which is why I started biking. I'm heavier than you are, I ride a Trek 1500, and I put on my Lycra shorts (that make my legs look like sausages!) and head out to the bike paths. I am in deplorable physical shape, but I can ride my bike for an hour on a beautiful day, enjoying the beauty of the bike path and have a glorious time. Even when I seriously over exert and think I won't make it back to the car, I still love my bike! The beauty of biking is that those of us who are not athletes or have "issues" can still enjoy riding a bike. For me it is more about the enjoyment of the ride. The exercise from the experience is an added bonus. Get out there and enjoy yourself!
    The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.