Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Commuter Purchase Dillema

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a recently graduated student and am on a budget. I don't have a car and do not yet have a desperate need for one (especially when the gas is so $$$!). The places I visit most often are my workplace and the grocery store (I heart Whole Foods!).

I went to my LBS and looked at a beaaautiful Trek 7.2 FX WSD but I'm having trouble justifying spending $400 on a bike that is going to be left outside to be rained on/snowed on, etc. I know I would use it and I currently live and will move to a place where I can store it inside while at home.

A couple questions for you regular commuters:

1) How do you keep your commuting bike in good shape? I might be able to keep my bike inside while I work, but what about commuting to other places?

2) Did you replace the stock saddle on your commuter bike?

3) Do you use clipless pedals on your commuter? I'm considering an spd/platform pedal (spd on one side, platform on the other).

4) Is the maintenance cost for a commuter bike comparable to that of a road bike?

Thanks!!!
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Hi Ana. For my specific case...

1) How do you keep your commuting bike in good shape? I might be able to keep my bike inside while I work, but what about commuting to other places?

I park in a busy outdoor/uncovered bike parking area, at the store it gets chained to an exposed bike rack.

I have a Trek 7.5FX in the guys model so I swapped the seat for a Terry Liberator. The guy seat was a torture device.

3) Do you use clipless pedals on your commuter? I'm considering an spd/platform pedal (spd on one side, platform on the other).
    I use plain old platform pedals, I can't do clipless on any bike (bad knee problem), and they seem to work just fine.

4) Is the maintenance cost for a commuter bike comparable to that of a road bike?
    I find my maintenance cost are a little higher than my road bike due to the exposure to weather and the road debris that likes to eat my tires on my commute route. Keeping the bike waxed and well lubed seems to help quite a bit. And just an FYI, maintenance costs could be lower if I would learn how to do some stuff myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    I'm having trouble justifying spending $400 on a bike that is going to be left outside to be rained on/snowed on, etc. I know I would use it and I currently live and will move to a place where I can store it inside while at home.
    OK, now I'm confused. You currently live in and will move to a place where you can have the bike inside when at home.

And you say you might be able to keep the bike inside at work. Why would it be outside in the snow?

Keep your bike inside Rain, snow, salt if they salt the roads .... all the enemy of your bike. Sure, you can leave it outside but much more work and cost to keep it in shape.

1) How do you keep your commuting bike in good shape?
    I keep it inside Also regular routine maintenance, cleaning & lube, lube and clean. A tune up about once a year.

Yes. But the ancient POS saddle the bike came with was comfy. I kept it for 10 years. Finally began wearing out so I replaced the seat and seatpost.

3) I'm considering an spd/platform pedal (spd on one side, platform on the other).
    That's what I use on the commuter, good choice My freewheel has BMX pedals. I love them. If I was replacing the pedals on the commuter or had another commuter, that's what I'd get.

Yeah. I think so. A good bike is a good bike
    Last edited by Trek420; 03-31-2008 at 06:00 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Welcome to the wonderful world of bike commuting -- it really is the best way to travel.

I bring mine inside both at home and at work, although I have in the past left it outside but covered. I routinely wipe the whole thing, chain and all gears included, and will occasionally wax it if I'm feeling ambitious.

It helps to clearly lay out your expectations about how good of shape your bike will be in: Do you want it pristine? Is some cosmetic gunk/rust acceptable? Is lots of rust acceptable? Rust looks bad, but it isn't a real problem except in a few places (particularly you'd want to avoid a rusty chain), so if you're willing to compromise and accept some cosmetic rust, which is almost inevitable if you live in a place where they put down salt on the roads during the winter, probably leaving it outside won't be too bad. If you want it pristine, you'll have to bring it inside and wipe it down after every single ride.

You bet I did! If you're expecting to spend a lot of time commuting here and there, it's well worth finding a saddle that's right for you and going with it. Be warned, though: Saddles can be remarkably spendy.

Yes, I have eggbeaters on mine, but my commute is mostly long stretches without stopping. You definitely can get a lot more power from using clipless shoes, although they take a lot of getting used to, and they, too can be pretty expensive. The spd/platform ones seem like they could be a good option for you.

I can't say, because although I have a road bike, I use it for commuting in the summer, so both my bikes are commuting bikes. I know for the winter commuting bike, I have to replace brake pads, the chain, and every occasionally (eep!) the rear cassette after a bad winter.

I guess in short this depends on you: Your riding style (you can avoid putting undue wear on the chain/cassettes by riding a certain way) and your ability to do minor adjustments and repairs yourself.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

I am lucky that when the hospital (including the med school where my lab is) went no smoking, they converted the old smoking shelters into covered bike racks. At home I keep the bike in the garage.

Going places besides work, she just gets left out wherever the bike rack is. If it is raining, I tie a plastic grocery sack over the seat, protects the brooks leather saddle and also keeps my butt dry when I get back on the bike.

But in the winter, with the salt and sand on the roads, the drivetrain (chain & gears) requires a LOT of attention. My chain was constantly rusty this winter, sometimes I was cleaning it every night.
    She's an old bike, 15 years, and I have replaced everything over the past two years except the frame, the fork and the stem. The saddle is one thing I'd strongly recommend spending money on. I begged my parents to give me a brooks saddle last year ($84).
    I wanted to, but it was a low priority, and eventually I decided I'm glad I didn't get them. Maybe if some day I have 2 bikes, one for recreation and one for commuting, the road bike could have spd pedals. But the commuter bike just has toe straps, which means I only have to worry about one pair of shoes. Otherwise, I'd have to bring an extra pair of shoes to work, or keep a pair, and only wear clothes that matched the pair that lives at work, or something else complicated.
    Like everyone else said so far, I don't know. I hope someone knows, I'm curious too.

I have learned to do a fair bit of the maintenance myself. Get yourself a good friend in the bike shop. I think most of the mechanics are really happy you take an interest and don't mind letting you use their stuff and showing you how to do it if they're not busy. Some places you might have to pay a fee but it would be worth it.

It is certainly far less than maintenance costs on a car.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I keep my commuting bike in good shape by keeping it clean (wiping it down after rides) and lubing it kindof regularly (monthly for me, your situation may be different). I also keep it indoors.

I actually liked my saddle but it eventually got a hole in it. If it's comfy, use it. If not, change it.

I use campus pedals--platform on one side and SPD on the other. That way, I have a choice.

Maintenance costs depend on how much you ride. You'll want to consider replacing tires when they need it, extra lube, another tool kit to keep on your commuter bike, a bell, a light, high-visibility clothing, panniers or some sort of bag to haul your stuff in.

You don't mention how long your commute is, and through what kinds of conditions. Some questions to consider:
    1. Will you ride year round (extra $ for winter and rain clothing)?
    2. Will you ride at night (lights)?
    3. Will you need to lock your bike outside or can you bring it inside to a secure location (like your office)? You'll likely need a chain or U-lock anyways if you go to the grocery store on your bike.
    4. What will you need to carry (office clothes, laptop, groceries)? Panniers are my choice, but some folks like messenger bags or backpacks.

Commuting by bike is really great. I commuted for 6 years in DC 28 miles round trip year round. I don't do it anymore since I started working from home, but I do use my commuting bike for errands and groceries.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Oh, and you might be able to get a used bike, depending on the distance of your commute.

I'm going to answer this based on my new location and what I *think* will happen to my commuting bike!

I bought an older bike to commute on. At home we have a garage, but at work, it'll be chained to a bike rack exposed to the elements. Same would be true if I rode it to run errands, of course. Because of this, I didn't want to use my road bike or my old 'commuter' which is actually a touring bike. I hope to keep it in working condition by keeping it well lubed and fairly clean when possible. I don't expect it to ever be pristine. The bike I bought has some chipped paint, so I plan to seal those areas with clear coat to avoid rust (and leave the paint looking chipped...I don't want a bike that looks TOO nice out there!).

2) Did you replace the stock saddle on your commuter bike? Yes, immediately.

3) Do you use clipless pedals on your commuter? I'm considering an spd/platform pedal (spd on one side, platform on the other). Both of my commuters (my old one and this new old one) will have the same pedals you are investigating. I use the clipped in feature for longer rides and the platform for quick trips.

4) Is the maintenance cost for a commuter bike comparable to that of a road bike? Not sure. It was pretty much the same on my old commute. My commute was a bit tougher on my bike than my road rides, but I did WAY more miles on my road bike...so the costs and wear were similar. I expect that my new situation will be similiar. It's a tougher bike, but I'm putting it through a tougher situation...so it'll likely need equal maintenance.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

What's your climate?

I generally can't keep my bike inside at work... and I'm not really good at the cleaning and lubing (just got chastised at the LBS for bringing the Xtra in with an orange chain ). However, it's doable. So when I go home tonight I am going to bring the silly thing *under* the carport instead of sticking out (I have four bikes so I didn't ride it today, but I didn't think ahead and parked it badly), *and* take a rag and tri-lube to the chain. I am going to try to get into the maintenance habit.

I have fenders and that helps.

The saddle matters. I have only met one person who kept the stock saddle on a Trek I have a 7500 FX (older version of 7.5) that I basically don't take out into the rain; it's my fast bike (skinny tires). Get a saddle that works

I'd be inclined to see what's available used (we've got a bike co-op where a person can get a working bike for a hundred bucks or so), tho' if I didn't have an easy way (getting a used bike has so many possible complications) I'd get that 7.2 and learn to clean it and lock it well.

I also am not a clipless person. I'm too cheap and heavens, shoes would be one more thing to remember and bring along. IT's toe clips.

The maintenance issues can be different. For one thing, maintenance is different if you're riding more and under adverse conditions... and if you're doing more miles... My LBS is on the way to work so I've managed to develop a relationship with them so I can drop in with questions or minor emergencies, but this is a small town, and they're good people who do little things for lots of people, not just serious groupies like me.

Today it's really rainy so I took my folding bike that cost me $600 - but I could have gotten a last year's Dahon Speed D7 for less than $400 and it could stay inside (and it comes with rack and fenders, which I still have to get for mine). So look at all your options!

I want to make one more comment. It may seem at first that commuting by bike is awfully expensive. Some of the stuff seems outrageously expensive to me. It's tempting to get the $10 Planet Bike front & rear blinkies instead of spending $20 each on slightly better front and back lights, for example. And $10 Planet Bike blinkies are worlds better than what most folks use (nothing). But you find that if you spend a little more up front, you have reliable equipment that lasts longer.

It sure hurts spending more up front. And sometimes you simply can't afford to spend a little more, and you have to get by on the $10 blinkies or go without (really dangerous).

Just keep reminding yourself how much the equivalent expendature would be on a car.

Smile Another bike find!

Just what I needed.....another option!

I just found a Cannondale Adventure comfort 5 which is comparable in price to the Trek 7.2 FX WSD! The Cannondale has a much more upright riding position but has fatter tires and can go on bike paths Plus it has pretty welding....

Any opinions/comments on the Cannondale Adventure Comfort 5 vs. Trek 7.2 FX WSD?
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

I just found a Cannondale Adventure comfort 5 which is comparable in price to the Trek 7.2 FX WSD! The Cannondale has a much more upright riding position but has fatter tires and can go on bike paths Plus it has pretty welding....

Any opinions/comments on the Cannondale Adventure Comfort 5 vs. Trek 7.2 FX WSD?
    Is there any bike that cannot go on bike paths?

I know nothing about the Cannondale you describe, but if you want to commute on it, you should consider that the "comfort" bike with wider tires is likely to be less efficient, i.e. to not go as fast for the same effort. If your commute is a mile or two that's one thing. If it's more like 5-10 miles, then it matters a bit more...

Also check whether you can add a rack on the Cannondale.

Have you test ridden the bikes?

"Comfort" translates into "lots more work." Honest. The 7.2 will go anywhere you want

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    Just keep reminding yourself how much the equivalent expendature would be on a car.
    Just remember the above. Always. I have saved a freakin' amount of money over the past 1/4 century , if you read on, below.

We don't have a car. By now, I probably sound boring and repetitive to this forum since I've mentioned it before: I've lived in a carless household for last 25 years. (I'm 49). Cycling for fitness, commuting and transportation last 17 yrs. I've always lived in cities with good public transportation systems.

I've always owned and rode a hybrid. I keep my bikes (I have 3) indoors at home..have been fortunate to live in buildings that had communal bike locker rooms. I should maintain my bike more often..more like a major tune-up annually. I ride with toe clips..even on touring rides, etc.

At first it might feel abit expensive with a cycling jacket (you will want one after you sweat in other types of jackets), cycling gloves, etc. but if you spread out the purchases over a few months, it's not so daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    $10 Planet Bike blinkies are worlds better than what most folks use (nothing)
    I have one of these and it may be the best ever. I've had people who were riding behind me tell me so.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034.html
    I know I didn't pay that much, though.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager