Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini Pumps?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Road Morph and it's come in mighty handy! If I see someone using a mini-pump, I offer the Road Morph and usually they're happy to take me up on my offer.

This weekend, though, I saw something that trumped my Road Morph -- a group of women was stopped by the side of the road and someone was finishing the roadside repair with a FLOOR pump. What the ... ???? How do you attach that to your frame?

It turns out that one of the riders in the group had gotten a flat, and they couldn't get any of the frame pumps to do the trick, so they called one of their husbands to meet them and pump up the tire. Kind of like AAA for bikes. Hopefully they didn't get any more flats for the rest of the ride.
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

here's my mini:
    Topeak Micro Rocket Carbon Mini Pump
    $37.99
    Max Pressure: 160 psi/11 bar
    Barrel Material: Carbon
    Weight:55 g.

Carbon handle and barrel sheath makeup a lightweight, high-pressure pump which inflates to 160 psi. Mounting hardware included. Presta valve only.
    Last edited by MM_QFC!; 12-30-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Shoot. I thought y'all were talking about little high-heeled shoes.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I get sick of taking off my mini pump for races and putting it back on for training rides this time of year. Plus my Topeak mini pump (not the road morph) sucks. I always shred the tube at the valve, and the gauge is iffy.

I just picked up an Innovations CO2/mini pump combo thing on sale at Performance. The cartridges it takes should get my tube up to 90psi, which is enough to get me home on my race tires. It also has a hand pump as a backup. And it will fit in my jersey pocket.

I just hope it works well.

I picked up the road morph this weekend. It is a great pump. All other mini pumps should be illegal. I'm hoping it is sturdy enough not to break.

question though: does anyone wish the rubber tube was just a bit longer?

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    I picked up the road morph this weekend. It is a great pump. All other mini pumps should be illegal. I'm hoping it is sturdy enough not to break.

question though: does anyone wish the rubber tube was just a bit longer?
    You know, that little tube does extend. Loosen the tube fittings, pull out a little bit, and re-tighten fitting (finger tight). When finished - reverse steps. The other thing is Topeak is very good about warranty replacement.

Just make sure you can use it properly, BEFORE you have to use it. My gauge tends to jump in increments instead of move gradually, so I am not sure exactly how accurate it is, but at least it gives a good indication of what you have, instead if guessing. Secure the foot and grasp firmly to keep it from moving too much, and you should be fine.

Topeak Mini Morph for me. It seems to work as well or better than the Road Morph.

Jenn

I have the Road Morph. Fortunately I've never had to use it on the road. At least on my bike. But during a ride a few weeks ago I stopped to help someone with a flat, and naturally they had Schrader valves. It's a bit of a pain to switch things around from one valve type to the other. I also have an issue with my frame being too short. Right now the only place it fits using the bolts is the downtube, but I'd prefer to keep my cage there. I hadn't thought of putting it on the underside of the tube; I'll give that a try this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNo View Post
    I hadn't thought of putting it on the underside of the tube; I'll give that a try this weekend.
    Just be careful it doesn't give you too much toe overlap.

Is there room to mount it on the side of the down tube? I know those pumps are kind of thick, but there's more room between the pedal and the frame than there appears to be.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thumbs up Topeak Micro Rocket Carbon

The claim of 160 psi is,,... well,... someone with stronger arms AND more patience than I have might get 160 psi out of this pump.

The good news is that 90 psi (according to the gauge on my floor pump when I got back home) was not too much trouble at all, and that's plenty to get a rider of my size back on the road. Not too shabby for 55 grams and a pump that actually fits in the minuscule space on my frame.

CO2 is quicker obviously - much quicker - but since I wasn't in a hurry I wanted to give this pump a test run, and it passed with flying colors.

(yes - for those who are keeping score - last night's flat curse caught up with me today. Slow rider, slow curse )

Quote Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
    You know, that little tube does extend. Loosen the tube fittings, pull out a little bit, and re-tighten fitting (finger tight). When finished - reverse steps. The other thing is Topeak is very good about warranty replacement.

I've pulled it out as far as it goes, but unless my valve is at just thr right spot it is a bit pricky to fill up/

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    unless my valve is at just thr right spot it is a bit pricky to fill up/
    wow, an advantage of skinny tires I hadn't even thought of... it's so much easier to pump the tires up while the wheel is still off the bike!

I use a RoadMorph pump (love it).

My bike has a small frame (51) so I mounted it to the left seat stay which has worked out just fine. The only potential issue is that the pump could get dirty if you ride in the rain (which I don't if I can help it). Otherwise, I've had no problems with mounting in this location.

You have to look hard to find it.

Hope this helps.

Jane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame pump 002RS.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	6297