Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question for Yoga Instructors

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm thinking of taking Yoga teacher training and I'm wondering about other people's experiences of teacher training. I realize there are different options available depending on where you live, but I'm just trying to make an informed decision.

For instance, did you take a shorter duration but more time intensive course, or one that stretched out over 9-12 months? How much does YA certification matter? What would you do differently if you had it to do over? How has it changed your life?

Thanks,
    Kate

I know this post is a little stale, but if you're still interested...

Yes, it absolutely changed my life. I highly recommend it, even if you never intend to teach.

I think the biggest thing in picking a program is the style of yoga the program teaches, and whether you enjoy the teachers. You don't want to sign up for a certain style and then find out you don't enjoy it, and the same goes for teachers. I wanted to teach Ashtanga and Vinyasa Flow (the styles I practice), but I chose a training program that incorporated many styles and many teachers and I feel I was much better off for doing it. I have gained a lot of appreciation for certain other styles, and found out which styles I don't enjoy. I was able to do mentorships in my styles with my favorite teachers so I still really got a lot of work in that area, but there are things that I did not learn as in depth because I didn't spend my entire program focused on a certain style.

As far as how long of a program you should choose, I think that depends in part on how advanced you are already as a yogi. If you have a good comprehension of yogic philosophy and a strong and consistent practice, including a home practice, and you have the ability to take a month away from other responsibilities, a shorter program may be a good option for you. If you only practice guided (never on your own), don't have an advanced practice and/or don't know much about the non-physical side of yoga, or if you only have so much time in a week that you can dedicate to your training, go with a longer program. A longer program will give you a chance to digest everything you're learning, while a shorter program has the benefit total immersion. Either way can be life-changing.

As far as YA, I did a YA program from a studio that pretty much hated YA. The YA requirements are a base - a good school will use them wisely and you will get a lot out of the program, but a YA-approved program is not automatically a good program. Similarly, there are many non-YA programs out there that are excellent. If you're thinking you want to teach, go with a YA program as it can be easier to get your first job with the registration and the letters after your name. Many gyms require some sort of certification and they don't really see a difference btw. registration and certification, and YA is nationally recognized.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or want to chat more.

OMG I just noticed you're in Minneapolis. Which programs are you looking at?

Thanks for the reply.

I've been practicing for about 3 years, and mostly do a classes, but will do yoga at home if I can't get to a class. I've read lots of books on the philosophy of yoga and I'm deeply interested in both the body and mind aspects.

I'm considering Core Power right now, because it seems to be the most convenient for me, but I don't know much about the other options around here.

Do you recommend any particular one? I'm not able to take a month off work to do yoga training, so it would have to be spread out over several weeks/months.

Thanks!

Kate

I did the program at the Yoga Center of Minneapolis. I absolutely loved it, but the program I did is not the same program they are now offering - the teachers are different, the structure is different. Their program is now a 9-month program. I think Core Power's program is a bit shorter? I believe there's also a program in Mankato, but those are the only ones I know of in the Twin Cities area. I'd recommend finding out who the main teachers are for any of the programs and taking class from them - make sure you like them, otherwise you'll be unhappy.

Also, your first training program should be thought of as the beginning of a journey. There is so much to learn and even if you take 2 years and do a 500-hour program (like I did, I followed the 200-hr with a 300-hr advanced program) you'll still find that there is more to learn both about teaching and your own practice. And if you do decide to teach, that's definitely it's own learning experience.

If you know Kai from CorePower in Uptown, you could talk to him about the training programs. He's taught at both CorePower and YCM and may have a good perspective, especially as he trained at YogaWorks, which is one of the best programs in the country. Too bad they don't have a training here