Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

So I switched to tubeless....

To disable ads, please log-in.

....and I'm getting a pretty good workout using the pump almost daily. I haven't put Stan's on yet, just wanted to try the Specialized 2Bliss tires first. If I'm on the trail, would I have to stop often and air it up?

The neat thing about tubeless is that you can continue to run such low pressure. Unless you have a slow leak, I'd assume you can continue a ride with the low pressure. What pressure have you been running?

I started with 45 and went up to 50 so it wouldn't feel squishy. However, by the next day, the pressure had dropped by half again. I don't hear air escaping and the tires are brand new, so I guess it's suppose to lose air like that?

I'm using Mavix Crossmax rims with Specialized Captain tires.

I have been running tubeless tires on Mavic Crossmax rims for the past year and rarely have to add any air. Are you running UST tires? Are you sure they are well seated on the rims? We have had to use an air compressor sometimes to get them to seat initially. You should hear a pop when they finally set the bead.

If you can put some Stan's in them you should be able to see where they are leaking. I find that one of the main benefits of using the tubeless tires is to be able to run much lower pressures, providing much better traction on the rough stuff. I run about 30 in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    Are you running UST tires? Are you sure they are well seated on the rims? We have had to use an air compressor sometimes to get them to seat initially. You should hear a pop when they finally set the bead.
    Wavedancer, a bike mechanic did it for us whilst we were away. I don't hear air escaping but then I could dig out the bucket of soapy water and check around the tire and rim for bubbles. What is UST?

UST= Universal System for Tubeless. Or...tires that are specifically made to be run tubeless. It is possible to take some non-UST tires and convert them to tubeless. I doubt that is true in your case, if you bought tires designated to be tubeless, which I assume the 2Bliss are?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Wavedancer, a bike mechanic did it for us whilst we were away. I don't hear air escaping but then I could dig out the bucket of soapy water and check around the tire and rim for bubbles. What is UST?
    If the tires are properly seated, then they shouldn't be leaking. Sometimes it can be a tricky fit between tire and wheel when dealing with tubeless or conversion kits. Don't put any stans in them yet. Take them back and tell the mechanic what the problem is. Also putting stans in certain manufactures tires can void the warranty on the tire. If you can't get this type of tire to work make the bike shop swap out for something that does. Once you are sure the tires are working, go ahead and puts stans in them.....and remember to seat the tire properly (pump them up until they pop....60psi give or take).

I run my tires at 30psi. 50psi is way too much.
    Just keep pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    We have had to use an air compressor sometimes to get them to seat initially.
    I've used an air compressor, CO2 and have even done it the old fashioned way with a pump.....but it was way too much work so I wouldn't recommend it.
    Just keep pedaling.

Our resident shop mechanic is reading this thread over my shoulder.
    He says air it up to 65 and let it sit overnight to make sure that the tire seats correctly on the rim. Then back the pressure off to your desired pressure and that should solve the problem. Also check to see that the valve stem is seated properly you may be losing pressure there.
    Failing all of that- just use Stans... It works like a charm.

Hope this helps

ciao!
    Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    He says air it up to 65 and let it sit overnight to make sure that the tire seats correctly on the rim. Then back the pressure off to your desired pressure and that should solve the problem. Also check to see that the valve stem is seated properly you may be losing pressure there.
    Failing all of that- just use Stans... It works like a charm.

Hope this helps

ciao!
    Denise
    Notubes/stans will tell you not to pump it up to that psi....but I've always done it that way.....where I pump it up, pop it, then bring the psi's down. I usually let my tires sit overnight, but I've been in situations where I couldn't and it has worked out with my particular set-up.
    Just keep pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    He says air it up to 65 and let it sit overnight to make sure that the tire seats correctly on the rim.
    Thanks Denise, I'll go for the pump workout here in a minute. I run it at 50+ psi when I'm on the pavement but I back it down when I'm on the trail. I'll pump those babies up and see if that will help seat it right. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Now this is bazaar!

After inflating my tires to 65 psi over night, the tires were even flatter the next day. I went back to the bike shop and they checked everything--the stem, the tire bead, how it was seated, etc. They took the soapy water and doused the rim and tire and.........bubbles formed on the sidewalls! The tires were apparently bad from the get go.

Bad, bad Specialized!

So now I've ordered a set of Kenda mtb tires and Specialized will be getting a call first thing Monday morning.