Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cycling downtown Denver

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm going to be in Denver for a conference April 12 - 17th and just found out the pre-conference class I was signed up for on the 12th -13th has been canceled. I'm trying to decide if I should change the dates of my trip and go on the 14th or just go as planned on the 12th and goof off that weekend. I wasn't planning on renting a car and my hotel is on Curtis street. From what I can tell it looks like there's some great bike paths etc in Denver. Here are my questions:

Any recommendations on places to rent bikes?
    Any recommendations for paved bike trails within a close distance of Curtis Street or the Colorado Convention Center?
    Any other general recommendations for a free weekend in the city without a car?

Sorry I have no input on cycling in downtown denver, but I would like to hear about how bike friendly Denver is.
    i know it is near the mountains but is it necessarily hilly?
    and how is driver/ biker awareness?
    how many bike lanes are there in denver around the university/ downtown area?
    or can bikes roam like cars?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts. I'm thinking of medical schools and living carless really influences where that will be.

I can't help you with bike shops, you'll have to google Denver Bike rental, or nightlife but the Cherry Creek trail is close by. It's reasonably flat, basically follows Speer Blvd right along the edge of the Cherry Creek. You can ride it to Cherry Creek Resevoir. The other option is to take the Cherry Creek trail to Confluence Park then go south on the Platte. On a nice weekend the Starbucks at REI (Confluence) is a cyclists hangout.

On the South Platte you can ride all the way to Chatfield Park or take the Bear Creek to Bear Creek Park, a little more climbing. Mt. Carbon is a nice up and down into the Park.

If you want a map check out the Denver Bicycle Touring Club. www.dbtc.org
    They publish an awesome map that you can find at any bike shop. The trails I mentioned are pretty flat but you will feel the elevation and lack of humidity. Drink plenty of water before you come and plan to carry water with you. Also, be prepared for a change in the weather, Denver weather in April can be sunny and warm but quickly change to cloudy and cold.

If you like to shop there is the Cherry Creek mall. My favorite shop is Outdoor Divas off Clayton and 3rd. It's a women's only outdoor shop, no bike rentals, however.

Madscott13, there's lots of bike lanes around the downtown and University areas. Bike to work day has over 27,000 riders. Denver also has a good downtown transit system. There are 650 miles of bike trails and bike lanes so it's a pretty commuter friendly place. There are jerky drivers and also dumb cyclists but many drivers are also cyclists. In my neighborhood on a sunny, warm day in the spring you will see cyclists everywhere.

Check out the advocacy group Bike Denver for more information.

Bicycling in Denver is one of the reasons we settled here. We can ride out of our garage and head in any direction and as far as we want on paved trails or bike lanes. I feel safe on the trails/bike lanes and often ride by myself.

that is great to hear! Although I wish that cars would except bike riders freely, bike paths really add legitamcy to the whole riding thing. I hope to try and visit by next winter. that link you posted makes it sound really great too!

Thanks for the info Kathi

my .02 worth

Madscott, I do not live in Denver but visit often. And I take my bike. I generally stay in LoDo next to Coors Field. When I step out on the balcony, no matter what time of day or evening, I can ALWAYS spot cyclists. Riding right out of the building is no problem - it is a several block ride to the Cherry Creek trail and the traffic has never been a problem - take a lane and follow the traffic.

I have ridden all the trails Kathi mentions (and more) & the only issue I have had are goatheads I come from near sea level & the altitude & low humidity in Denver have not been an issue....I have even ridden completely through the city out to Golden, up Lookout Mountain and back with no problem (no bike trails on that route). IMO it is a great city for cycling. I'd live there if I could!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

haha I could look at moving to Denver as my Olympic training. plus I hate humidity.

moving to Denver means going for a triple

gGreat trails in city -- and other options in easy getaway

Denver area trails just keep connecting and connecting, through the city and state parks, and a central spot is the REI near Confluence Park right on the bike trails (the confluence of the Platte River and Cherry Creek) http://www.rei.com/stores/18, they should be able to point you to a good bike rental shop in the downtown area.

If you want to completely get out of Denver at all and your conference is downtown, just walk or take the mall shuttle to Market Street Station and catch the B to Boulder (try for rush hour so you can take the BX express), get off at the Boulder Transit Center, walk a block north to the Pearl Street Mall. There try University Bicycles at 9th and Pearl http://ubikes.com/ for rentals -- not only are you in a very pro-bicycling town, but you're also just a couple blocks north of the Boulder Creek Path, and from there you can ride up into the hills, hook up with trails, and the shop can point you in multiple directions -- road or mountain.

Welcome to Colorado!

Yes, Denver is "biker-friendly" with miles and miles and miles of trails! The Denver Bicycle Touring Club (link in above post) is a great resource for residents and visitors alike!

Also, the city has a great Bicycle Map (alas--it's for sale--not free) - you can pick up or order from the City of Denver. Lots of detail on the 9 miles of lanes and sharrows in Downtown.
    "Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    ---George Patton

I Denver