Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New Saddle Design by Topeak: Talk about Soft Tissue Relief!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I stumbled upon this while browsing for the Topeak Morph Road frame pump:

It's called the Allay

http://www.allaysaddles.com/line/lineall.htm

It says it's unisex and looks like it may have ultimate soft tissue relief (check out the side view!). It looks like it has a nice "T" shape like so many saddle seekers have expressed the desire for. I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has tried it or knows someone who has tried it!
    Last edited by Ana; 03-25-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Those look pretty cool. I'd like to hear the reviews too, please.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

I saw them at the Topeak booth at Seattle's recent Bike Expo and when I touched that band of material (I do believe it's called the "AirSpan system with compress-free zone"), and gave him a questioning look (as I'm leery of seams, ridges, even edges of material in that strategic area), he said that it doesn't cause any issues...
    I didn't get to sit on it though, so I'm interested in women's reviews too.

Found some comments in another thread

Here is a comment at the end of this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-391332.html
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

The Allay has been mentioned in multiple TE saddle threads. The most specific, I think, is: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=21707 Use the search function to learn more.

The saddle has been in limited distribution until very recently.

Yeah, I read that thread right after I posted my findings I can't find a lot of info on it.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

I ordered one at the Seattle Bike Expo and rode on it the first time this last Saturday - 28 miles. The jury is actually still out for me. It definitely isn't any worse than the stock saddle my Ruby Expert came with but I still felt a bit tender after just 28 miles. Next step will likely be to take it to my LBS and make sure I've got it positioned right as I don't think I'm sitting back on my sit bones enough. For me the cut-out in the orignal saddle just seemed to create more pressure points. I'm not sure if my tissue isssues (sorry couldn't resist) are posture and fit related or just not yet finding the right saddle.

I'll keep ya'll posted on what I decide.

I just ordered one too. I'm hoping it's wide enough. Anyway I'll let you guys know what I think in a few weeks.

It's still on my trainer, which I am on about two to three times a week for about 75 minutes. I still like it. But I know I won't know for sure till I take it out on a 30 mile trail ride, which should happen within the next month. Given how important the saddle quest is for all of us, I promise I will keep you all posted.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

So, I rode the Allay again today - just 26 miles and started to feel some discomfort around mile 20. I decided to pump to bladder full of more air and I could notice it becoming noticeably firmer and much more comfortable. It looks like that may be the trick for me keeping it firm and it seems very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    It says it's unisex and looks like it may have ultimate soft tissue relief (check out the side view!).
    Check out the top view too am I twisted or what does it look like to you gals.....
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    Check out the top view too am I twisted or what does it look like to you gals.....
    You mean, not a bike saddle? Blink blink
    Beth

I am loving the Topeak Allay website!

so much good saddle info!

Looky, not only do they give the dimensions of the saddle, BUT they also give the sit-bone span that the saddle supports!

(so, like the 175mm Allay has a 120-150mm sit-bone correspondence)
    http://www.allaysaddles.com/line/sport.htm

I LOVE IT!!!!!

I wish all saddle manufacturers gave out this kind of info!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Those tricky saddle sellers

Maybe it's a ploy to get you into the bike shop in search of a saddle....perhaps they know that once you have a bike you have bike-buying weakness! :P
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Any more feedback on the Allay?

Does anyone else have anything more to report on the Allay saddle? I'm specifically interested in whether the edge of the nose section rubs the girly bits. It looks awfully narrow in that section.

I have decided I need a wider saddle after measuring my sitbones on my yoga mat and discovering that they are wider than I realized (about 130 mm c-to-c). I've been riding a skinny Selle San Marco Atola Gelaround, and although the cutout is excellent (diamond-shaped and soft) so the soft-tissue relief is amazing, I've got a persistent saddle sore on the left side in the crease between my inner thigh and labia. Finally realized, when pressing on the tissue in that area on both sides, that I am sitting mostly on the bones on farther in on my pelvis, not enough on my sitbones (which are not sore at all).

I've just started riding again this spring (mtb), so the soreness is pretty pronounced. I've had better luck with Terry Butterfly saddles over the years, though I do get chafing/rawness in back on longer rides so always thought they were too wide for me. Now I'm thinking that the width in back was right after all, and that it's the fact that they are more pear-shaped that was a problem.

So, I'm currently thinking about a more t-shaped saddle for my mountain bike. Considering the Allay (but it doesn't have a cutout, which I've always needed in the past to avoid that stinging when peeing after a ride) and the Specialized Ruby SL (which does have a cutout) in the 155 mm size so far. The Ruby appeals the most but is pricy.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
    Emily
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 05-04-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow