Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

Tarwheel Century

To disable ads, please log-in.

April 26, Elizabeth City, NC. Anyone going?

April 26 looks to be the start of the season. Locally,there's the Tour de Carroll and the Greenbrier Challenge .
    but I might could be talked into it
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I thought you were going to ask about the Tarwheels BikeFest in Hillsborough. Drat
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    I thought you were going to ask about the Tarwheels BikeFest in Hillsborough. Drat
    When's that?

August - I believe it's the 9th this year. We usually volunteer - we may sweep one of the routes again It's pretty well organized - usually there's a 30, 60 and 100 mile option.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    August - I believe it's the 9th this year. We usually volunteer - we may sweep one of the routes again It's pretty well organized - usually there's a 30, 60 and 100 mile option.

CA
    I'll look it up and put it in my calendar. I have no organized rides scheduled for August, yet.

We did the Tarwheel BikeFest Century the last two years. It's a nice ride and the food at the rest stops is usually AWESOME.

Won't be riding it this year though...too far to drive. We live in the wrong Hillsboro now!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    April 26, Elizabeth City, NC. Anyone going?
    Not this year, but I've done that ride (not to be confused by the Carolina Tarwheels' Bikefest in August) twice (2003 and 2004), and it might just be the best event I've ever done. The rest stops are awesome! Some of the delicacies you might enjoy are sweet potato biscuits with country ham, fresh fruit sorbet, gorp, and deviled eggs. Unique food and the friendliest volunteers around, plus the FLAT, scenic route make this early-season event an excellent one. It can be windy, though, being near the coast as it is.

Enjoy -- and please post a report afterwards. I'd love to hear how it is this year!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Not this year, but I've done that ride (not to be confused by the Carolina Tarwheels' Bikefest in August) twice (2003 and 2004), and it might just be the best event I've ever done. The rest stops are awesome! Some of the delicacies you might enjoy are sweet potato biscuits with country ham, fresh fruit sorbet, gorp, and deviled eggs. Unique food and the friendliest volunteers around, plus the FLAT, scenic route make this early-season event an excellent one. It can be windy, though, being near the coast as it is.

Enjoy -- and please post a report afterwards. I'd love to hear how it is this year!

Emily
    I will report, with pictures. I haven't yet decided whether to ride my Luna or my Bike Friday. Still a few weeks to decide (I've been riding the BF more lately)

(I've been riding the BF more lately)
    Tulip!!! Please.....TMI!!!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

It's really a well run event and a good early-season tune-up. Bikeboy and I rode it for 3 years in a row. The country ham and sweet potato biscuits at the Edenton waterfront rest stop are just divine and almost make up for the unrelenting wind - enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by KayTee; 04-05-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    "It is easier to go down a hill than up a hill, but the view is better from the top of the hill." [Fortune cookie from post-ride buffet at the Peking Palace. The food was good, too.]

Quote Originally Posted by IFjane View Post
    Tulip!!! Please.....TMI!!!
    BIKE FRIDAY!!! Argh, I'm so embarrassed!

BIKE FRIDAY!!! Argh, I'm so embarrassed!
    I knew that!

**ROTFL** Forgive me, Tulip - I couldn't resist!

KayTee, Jeannierides and I had a great time on Saturday - KayTee and I even did a little Retail Therapy after brunch. Wish you could have been there - next time, ok?

RE: Tarwheel Century - wish we could, but that is my wedding day...maybe next year?
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Yes, the Virginia Ladies will all get together for a ride soon, perhaps the end of May when I get back from my trip. I'm glad you had a good ride!

Ride Report

I had a blast! I did the metric century plus a little, ending up at 66 miles, averaging a little over 14.5 mph. It was windy, but not as windy as previous years, according to my riding partner. The weather was beautiful, the traffic was very light, and the scenery was nice--LOTS OF COOL BIRDS, IFJANE!

The SAG stops were the best I've experienced; one even had smoothies!

I felt like I could keep going, but for this early and for my (lack of) riding to this point, I felt that 66 miles was just right.

My Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro performed flawlessly. I am very pleased with it--it is a fast little bike!

I highly recommend the Tarwheel Century. It's always in April, it's flat and pretty, and is very well-organized.