Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Making "Have Bike, Will Travel" Easier

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm trying to work out all the logistics for my TN trip and am stuck on getting my bike there.

It seemed like such a great idea, until I started contemplating getting my bike there. I already had my friend check for rentals. None available, of course.

For a couple of reasons, I can't invest in a hard travel case at this point. So I can have the bike shop pack it up very nicely and ship it; I put it back together when I get to where my bike is; ride the ride(s); disassemble and repack (or have a bike shop there do it, more likely); reship; hope it gets home soon.

Or...can I rent a hard case? Anyone know of anyplace (in northern CA) that rents them?

Is it smarter to fly the bike with me or ship it ahead of time?

Am I missing any other options?

I'm curious also. My LBS said that they've had far fewer damage issues if they back it up in a cardboard box and ship rather than using the airlines. A friend agrees but he thinks we should ship in a travel case which weighs a ton. The LBS says the airlines will open a travel case to see what's in there and then repack by the brute force method. I'm traveling in June so I'd also like to know.

By the way, Yellow, B&L here in Davis has a case for rent. Wheelworks might also.

I've only travelled with my bike once so I don't have a whole lot of experiences to draw from. I took it with me on a trip to France and it seemed like the best way to go at that time was to fly it with me. No problems with damages from anyone in our group so flying worked well for us.

The downside to flying is it's a pain to lug the big case through the airport. Luckily, most cases have wheels which makes it a little easier. Also, some airlines charge a fee to transport bikes. I've heard as much as $75 each way. We were travelling on a group rate that included the bike so I don't know how much we paid. If you decide to fly with it, find out the policy of the airline beforehand so you don't get surprised at the check-in counter.

I'm taking a trip in a couple of weeks and plan to bring my bike. This time, we're going to ship the bikes. We decided it would be cheaper/easier. The downside of this is being without your bike since you have to ship it enough ahead of time to make sure it gets there. And, it won't get back to you until several days after you get home.

I'll let you know how the shipping option worked out once I get back.

I've traveled with both a "normal" diamond-framed bike and with my Bike Friday. The Bike Friday is made to travel, and folds into a normal-sized suitcase so there aren't any oversize baggage charges. But that's not what you're asking...

I've traveled with a diamond-framed bike packed in a box, and with it packed in a soft-sided bike case.

On my first trip with it, I was just a neophyte at bike assembly. I made an appointment with a mechanic at my LBS so I could learn how to pack it. They supplied a box, and I packed it with someone giving me direction. I shipped it UPS to my destination, and I chose the lazy gals way out. I shipped it to a bike shop, and they put it back together for me. On my return, I went to another bike shop (it was a one-way trip). They gave me a box and loaned me full-sized tools and a workstand. I packed the bike myself, and I checked it as baggage on the plane. And yes, I did have to pay oversize baggage fees - which were more than the UPS fees.

Later I bought a soft-sided case (yes, I know, hard-sided is better, but I needed to be able to squish the thing up and ship it to myself for the end of my trip). I liked using the case better than the cardboard box, but it did require paying oversize baggage fees in both directions.

I haven't flown with my diamond-framed bike since I got a Bike Friday for travel - but the Bike Friday doesn't get rid of the security issues. When I flew home from Hawaii with the bike, the airport in Kona required that all bags be opened and inspected. I watched as the TSA guy opened the bike case and started removing pieces. Yikes! I was allowed to give him hints on how to put it back - but I wasn't allowed to touch anything. Still, everything worked out OK.

If you want to use a bike case, maybe your LBS has some available for rent. Or maybe a local club rents one or knows someone who is willing to loan their case out.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    Or...can I rent a hard case? Anyone know of anyplace (in northern CA) that rents them?
    Hi yellow. Bicycle Outfitter rents travel cases. They are in Los Altos (near Mountain View) and their web page is: http://www.bicycleoutfitter.com/. On the left hand side of the main page is their menu. Look for "rentals". When you click on that you'll see pricing information.

Mel

I haven't flown domestic with a bike since 911 (that's what mini vans and station wagons are for!).

I have used both a hard case and a bike-box in the past. Both went on the airline just fine; but that was before all of the new "we must search every piece of luggage" madness started. Would I want some stranger unpacking and re-packing my bike? No.

What the others said about airline fees is true too. Expect $50-80 each way.

So if you can part with your steed a few days in advance, shipping is a pretty good option. Personally? I wouldn't pay for the extra fee (weight, plus buying/renting)for a hard case. Guess how your bike got from the factory/builder to the bike shop in the first place? Yep, one of those thick corrugated cardboard boxes. Ask your shop to save some of the plastic spacers for the fork, and some foam tube-padding, as well. Remove the stem and tape the stem/bars to the frame. You'll also need to remove your pedals/front wheel. I always pack extra (lightweight) cycling clothes and accessories around the bike as "padding". You can fill in the rest with bubble-wrap and/or wadded up paper.

Shop around for shippers too. Some good bike shops will ship shop-to-shop for you (some even include dismantling/packing/reassembling the bike). If you go the DIY route, you might find that you save by going directly to UPS or FedEX. Some of those "pak-n-mail" places add extra fees.

Have a great trip!
    We are going to TN (Gatlinburg) at the end of March and I am looking forward to some good climbs!

Hi Yellow, Bicycles Plus in Folsom rents cases as well.....
    http://onlinecycling.com/
    Click on Rentals.
    Ride your ride.

Keep us informed of what you decide to do/how it all worked out.

I keep planning all these long trips that require getting my bike to a starting point (then making my way home). I'd like to keep abreast of real-life issues.

BTW, does it seem like the airlines are trying to keep us from flying, or is it just me?

Remembering the days when flying was less of a hassle - and dating myself...
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    Keep us informed of what you decide to do/how it all worked out.

Remembering the days when flying was less of a hassle - and dating myself...
    and Cheaper! *shakes head*
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Definitely think this over....

I only shipped a bike once by air. I had it packed by the bike shop, but the airline still managed to total it....

Little bit of legal advice on VeloNews regarding shipping

Since I'll be shipping my bike to Utah at the end of May, this is very timely. I was cringing as I read the 1st couple of paragraphs.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7811.0.html

Bicycling Mag also had a little article on shipping recently and noted that FedEx was about 2/3s the cost of UPS.

Definitely going to make sure my Daisy is insured full-value.