Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

good hip stretches, posture advice

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I've had PT flexibility assessments twice recently, different docs (once for a running injury and one quick one for my bike fit), and both noted significant hip flexor tightness as well as hip rotator tightness and ITB tightness. I don't know exactly when this started, but it has not always been the case -- I was very flexible through my teens because I danced somewhat seriously (I'm 28 now). I would attribute it to two years of increasing amounts of cycling, and two marathon training cycles and generally increased running mileage even when not training for anything.

Lately I've noticed (and this is relatively new, over the past year I'd say), when I am in a relaxed standing position, my hips tilt VERY far forward, and if I'm not thinking about my posture, there's a pronounced curve/compression in my lower back. It's actually a little hard for me to achieve significant posterior tilt when I work at it. I can just about get to neutral but not farther. I'm sure this is NOT a good thing. During all of the bike fits, everyone says my back looks great -- I get approved for very aggressive positions because I can achieve them with no curve in my back -- partly due to flexible hamstrings, but probably partly also due to this forward tilting pelvis I've acquired?

I'm worried that my muscles are becoming pretty imbalanced, with tight hips and quads that are throwing everything else off and a body that's starting to adapt "too much" to the cycling position. Is this a reasonable concern, and if so, does anyone have stretches/strengthening exercises to recommend?

thanks !
    Last edited by VeloVT; 03-23-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Yes, i think it's a reasonable concern! I have seen more than one woman who has biked for a long time who looked a lot like the cyclists in "triplets of Belleville" which is a cartoon.
    There are others on here who can make suggestions; but it sounds like you already know some of the things that you can do to stretch and strengthen!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Pilates (with a good instructor) is all about becoming conscious of, and controlling, your spinal curves. In my very limited experience, Stott Pilates places the most focus on that particular issue, but any Pilates routine will work on strengthening and spinal mobility.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

First off, congratulations on thinking about this and wanting to make a change before it becomes a significant problem. I don't encounter too many patients who do that.

Yes, this is a matter of concern. Even if it's not bothering you much now, it will sometime especially if you participate in activities that require repetitive motions like cycling. Here are some links to stretches that are helpful:

http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness...xorstretch.htm

http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness/h_TFL_StrSt.htm

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipExt...alRotator.html

http://www.drbackman.com/piriformis-muscle-stretch.htm

I usually have patients stretch each muscle group for 20 sec, 4 reps on each side at least once a day, preferrably twice if they are fighting an injury.

I also often recommend Pilates to clients.

Hope that helps.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I've always enjoyed Pigeon pose in yoga. I think it does the same thing as the piriformis muscle stretch Wahine linked to, but I'm not sure. My yoga instructor always had the class lean forward and put our foreheads on the ground to make it more intense/deeper (if we felt comfortable doing it).

Edit: FWIW I was told by a personal trainer at school that my posture could use a bit of work. He told me that I needed to keep my abs engaged throughout the whole day. Basically to pull them in a bit and pull myself up a bit. Being conscious of pulling your abs in may help with not tilting your pelvis while standing. That's just an anecdote, though. I hope you find something that works for you.
    Last edited by firenze11; 03-23-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Fitness walking really eliminates hip joint aching for me. When i bike too much and stop walking regularly, my hips get achy and stiff. I go back to brisk walking about 3-5 miles, 2 to 3 times a week, and that cures it after a couple of weeks. I know I must continue my walking in order to keep my hip joints happy.
    The reason is that when you walk brisky (not just schlepping around the house or in an office) your leg extends BACK with each long step and straightens the hip joint all the way back. In biking, your hip joint stays bent even when your leg is straight....because you are still sitting, remember. In biking, your hip joint never flexes all the way straight and back.
    The fitness walking really works for my hips. I make sure to let each leg go as far back as possible while I walk, taking long brisk strides.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wahine - thanks for the links, I'm another person who's hips have been bugging me. Funny that the seated stretch is one I do naturally when it bothers me, it just seemed the *right* way to stretch it out.
    Beth

Given what you've described, I would recommend a regular yoga or pilates practice with an instructor(s) who really understands anatomy. Stretching will presumably help with some of your flexibility issues, but I don't think it will help you strengthen your core and/or deal with your muscular imbalances in the way that a regular (and by regular, I mean 2-3 classes a week) practice will. I started yoga at about the same time I started riding and it's worked wonders for my back, abs, hamstrings and hips (although they remain my bugaboo). It's a very good counterbalance to cycling.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I have tight hips, IT bands, and spinal muscles, mostly on the right side. Because of that imbalance, I've had a lot of pain from my ankles all the way up to my neck. I have knee pain sometimes while riding because my IT bands get so tight that they pull the knee cap to the side. I've used chiropractic care and different types of massage. I'm using those methods less now that I have a good stretching routine.

Here is a list of my favorites that have done a lot for me in the order I find most beneficial:

* Wide-legged forward bend - I usually rest my hands on the floor in front of me and allow my muscles to relax, then I'll place my hands on a two-foot high table in front of me and stretch out my back, kind of like doing a dog pose.
    * Standing half forward bend or the Standing forward bend. I usually slowly move into the latter as my muscles relax.
    * I can't find links for the following, but these are probably the two most important poses for me: lying twists. To start out, I lie on my back, bend my knees, and bring them up. I lower my knees to my side and rest them on the ground and rest for a while. Instead of working my abs and bringing them up with core strength, I use my hands to help lift them. My goal here is to stretch and relax, not contract. Then, I stretch to the other side. For the second round, I bring my legs up and keep them straight. I rock my hips to the right a little - scootch your butt to the right - then lower the legs to the left. I rest again. When the muscles relax more, I may flex my feet to feel a deeper stretch through the IT band and knee. Then, I scootch to the left and repeat to the other side.
    * Triangle pose
    * Half lord of the fishes pose

These poses have done wonders for my back, and they feel incredibly good while I'm doing them. They help bring balance and allow my spine to fall closer into place.

I like Hero pose for after rides. Depending on my flexibility that day, I may or may not use a block. Sometimes I remove the block as my flexibility increases.

I use yoga poses because I am quite flexible. The problem is the imbalance between the right and left sides. So, I usually hold the pose longer for my tighter side. When it feels relaxed, then I am finished. I never stretch to the point of pain.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Di bear; 03-24-2008 at 08:00 AM.

I was taught to put my heel by my ovary when doing Pigeon Pose. (I have no idea how that instructor tells men to do it!)

I can get pretty deep into the pure piriformis stretch, but the other inner and outer thigh muscles that are targeted in Pigeon Pose are very tight on me. I can't even begin to get my pelvis on the mat. Maybe if I did it more often
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've become aware of the same problems.

Thank you for everyone that posted links.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    What Oakleaf says: Pilates. Just make sure you go to a real pilates place, not some hybrid pseudo pilates class that some gyms offer. You need to make sure that you learn to do it right, otherwise, you could hurt yourself. I can't say enough about how much pilates has helped my IT/hip/lower back problems. Chiropractor helped too. My chiropractor actually suggested pilates in the first place.

I also recommend pilates for many of my clients. I would just give a little word of advice about maintaining other forms of strength training that involve your glute max outside of pilates. In pilates the glute max is often de-emphasized so that the practitioner has to use their trunk muscles more to produce movements/stabilization. This is generally a good thing. But I am seeing more and more people as of late with problems with pelvic stability because they've completely forgotten how to use their glutes related to years of pilates only for strengthening!! This group includes very accomplished and respected pilates instructors that I treat.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Wahine, I hadn't thought about the glute side effect of pilates, but I can see how that would be. And now I know why my pilates instructor has no butt! Yes, strengthen the glutes (I can think of some pretty good ways to do that )

I'm forever teasing my Pilates vetrans about not having any junk in the trunk.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS