Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Cycle Zydeco Countdown

To disable ads, please log-in.

First of all, Happy Easter to eveyrone! It's a chilly, windy 50-something degrees (yes, we're wimps, and consider 50 degrees chilly) here in North Georgia today. But, the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day. DH is cutting the grass and I'm packing and repacking for CZ, checking and rechecking my list, and getting more excited bythe minute.

We will leave at 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning. According to the local Lafayette, LA TV station, the weather should be 80 degrees Thursday and Friday, 79 on Saturday, and 78 on Sunday, with only a 20% chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday. Don't think I'll need those tights I put in the pile to pack.

Susan, don't forget your insect repellant -- the mosquitoes are really big down there!

KB
    Last edited by kaybee; 03-23-2008 at 12:26 PM.

rain

Bring rain gear
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...pnav_allergies

Isolated / scattered thunderstorms are forecast. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Have fun!
    Beth

Oh Wow! What fun we had, huh KB?! I ate lotsa crawfish & other stuff, too. That headwind on the last day was a killer, but I can hardly wait until next year. I never changed gears! There was a slight rise in the road occasionally, but not enough to shift. I will say that I certainly appreciate the roads in OR after riding on those roads in S. LA. However, it was pointed out to me by a friend who lives in New Iberia, LA, that their roads are built on swamps and ours are built on rocks.

And I did a dumb, dumb thing. I had shipped my tent and sleeping bag, etc. ahead to my sister. She didn't open it--just threw the box in her car. We opened it up and threw everything on the truck. When we got to the 1st stop in Breaux Bridge, we discovered that the tent poles were still in Oregon! Yikes! So I went to talk to the guy Padre who had a tent service. He's quite expensive, but I asked if he had anything available. He said he'd made an offer the night before at the opening announcements of a free tent to the 1st person who asked him. Well, I was the 1st person! Amazing--it was a big dome tent with 2 air mattresses. He put it up and took it down every day. So my sister is still speaking to me!

And the mosquitos weren't a problem fortunately. Somebody had a patch to fend them off. I don't know how well it works, as they weren't around very much.

I can't wait til next year. I think I'll buy a tent when I get there--cheaper than shipping all that stuff back & forth or renting from Padre.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Hey Susan! It was great to meet you. I thought our paths would cross again after the first day, but they never did. You know, I don't remember the last time I had that much fun. Did you go to the Liberty Theater and dance? We went but did not dance (neither one of us really knows how). However, we WILL dance next year, because I'm ordering a Cajun dance instruction DVD. We don't have to be good, we just have to know a few basics, and the beer will do the rest!

You are right about the roads -- I was thinking I would trade a hill or two for some smooth pavement.

Great luck with the tent! We looked at them too, but DH wasn't convinced that I would be happy sleeping in a tent, and I think he's right -- I didnt' see any place to plug in a blow dryer!

Glad you had a good time!

KB

KB, so how were the hotels/B&B's? We're thinking about that for next year. And, yep, I thought we'd see each other again, too. We didn't make it to the Liberty--went to Nick's for 1 drink and it turned into several more!!! We'll do it next year. I want to learn that Zydeco steppin', too. You cannot be still when you hear that music. Did y'all go into Fred's in Mamou? We started in, but it was soooo crowded & so loud. My sister is prone to migraines and knew that'd invite a big one for her. Let me know how your dance lessons go from the DVD. Laissez les bons temps roler!

The hotels were fine; it just took time to get to them! The night we ended in Eunice we actually had to stay in Crowley, which is about 30 minutes away. There was an accident on the highway into Crowley, so the bus drivers were told to kill time because they couldn't get through anyway. So, they were taking people to Nick's, other hotels in town, and to the campground -- with us on the bus! After about two hours we finally arrived at the hotel. Fortunately, we had a good driver who loved to talk (all of us from down there do!) and he was playing some good zydeco music, so, other than being tired, it was okay.

We skipped Nicks, but you're right about the music. We were in the balcony at the Liberty, and I literally did not sit still the whole time. As for Fred's, we tried to get in, but the place was literally packed all the way to the door, so we opted out. Like your sister, I knew the cigarette smoke and noise would not be good for me.

Maybe we can make firm plans to meet next year. I've already told my employer that I would be doing this again in 2009!

KB

I wonder how long it will be when it fills up only with people who've already done the ride? But I'll be back if at all possible.

It's getting close to time to sign up for Cycle Zydeco again. Oct 1 & 2 for previous riders; Oct 3 for 1st timers. KB, are you going? I am, and I even have a new Bike Friday coming so that I don't have to pay all that $$ for my road bike to fly. Somehow I was able to justify that purchase! But in a few years the Bike Fri. will pay for itself--I hope!

Who's going??? Don't miss it. Such fun.

Susan

Hey Susan! We're definitely going to try to get in, but I'm worried that we won't. Congratulations on the new bike. I like how you rationalized it!

KB

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    Hey Susan! We're definitely going to try to get in, but I'm worried that we won't. Congratulations on the new bike. I like how you rationalized it!

KB
    KB--we get preferential registration on Oct 1 & 2. Just be ready! And did you see that this year you can register 2 people at a time? That'll be nice. My sister isn't going this year, but I'm sure I'll find people to ride/hang out with--like you!

And----rationalization is my middle name.

Susan

You can definitely hang out with us! Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the tour gods are smiling down on us next Wednesday.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Looks like we're going to go, too. I will be bringing my Bike Friday. Having that bike has opened up so many ride possibilities that were not options before.

We just gotta be sitting at the computer with our fingers hovering over the keyboard when the registration opens. Oooh-weeeee! I'm gettin' 'cited.

I just put in a call to Simone at the Lafayette Chamber of Commerce. I've been waiting until 8 am Pacific time to register. I checked the site at 7:40 and now it says registration opens tomorrow--the 2nd! I don't know what's going on here. I hope she calls me back.

Simone just called me back. The date of Oct. 2nd was wrong on the website! Whew! Now I just have to wait about 15 minutes to see if I get in!!!