Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Can you have buyers remorse if it's not in your hands yet...or are you anticipating???
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

I haven't heard anything from Soma. The buyer's remorse is because I'm skeptical that it is going to fit me.

Well, I've seen my frame. Wow, is it gorgeous. The pictures do not do the paint justice. I also got to see the same one built up, only that one had the matching fork, and I had to go with a black fork. Pretty, pretty.

Unfortunately, after a week of trying to pin the bike shop guys down on building it up, I am concluding that they have no interest in building this bike for me. (It took three visits before anyone could actually find the frame after they called to tell me it was in.) I think I'm just going to bring home the frame and fork and have my husband build it up for me. The only drawback to that is that it is so much easier to tweak the fit in a bike shop where they can easily swap stems and seatposts, etc., but I can't get anyone to talk to me about components or anything, and I've been in there four times now. So if they don't want my money, we'll just build it at home and I will take advantage of all of my husband's extra Campy parts from his latest build. Free stuff is my favorite, anyway.

Hi Xeney,
    have you tried the Bianchi Axis?

ooops, I just realized that you already bought a bike... I guess I am still sleepy and only read the first page of the thread!

Good luck, hope you are having fun with your new purchase!
    Last edited by TxDoc; 05-04-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Xeney, how frustrating. If I were in your place, I would grab somebody with authority -- the owner or manager, and let them know that I was not pleased with the service I was getting. I do think it's possible to do this without being a jerk and without "burning your bridges." You dropped a chunk of change at their establishment with the understanding that you would have a bike in a reasonable amount of time, and they need to follow through.

Well, it's the shop owner I've been dealing with. I'm not sure what to do but I think I'm just going to bring the frame and fork home. My husband can do almost everything to build it up ... he'd rather not cut the steerer and he doesn't have the tools to install a headset, but he can do everything else. I'm bummed about the experience because I was hoping to get somebody to work with me on the fit, but I'm now 0 for 2 on local bike shops and I am starting to think that the LBS as font of all bike knowledge is a big myth.

I have already paid about a 25 percent premium over what I would have paid to just buy it directly from Soma. I think I'm done paying the bike shop premium when I'm getting nothing back in return.

An update: we went in to pick up the frame, and it's dented pretty badly. There are no paint chips and it really looks like the frame was dented before it was painted, which is really a bummer because otherwise it's gorgeous. The shop is going to try to get me a new one, and they are also trying to locate the components I want. Not sure if they will build it up or my husband will, but at least we've made some progress. At this point, though, I may just be getting my deposit back because they aren't sure their Soma source has another frame in my size.

xeney-

that sucks I hope everything works out - sounds like you weren't 100% sure on the bike, so maybe it's the the best. Maybe the mixte will fit you after all

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

They are only making 60 of those mixtes so I am not counting on being able to get one.

Still waiting to hear about the frame. The shop called the supplier and as of Wednesday had not gotten a response. I put down a $200 deposit but I am ready to just walk away, I am so sick of this.

geez, what an absolute drag!!!

If you're only into this 200 dollars, why don't you just deal with Soma yourself? You might actually end up with a bike that way, you know?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I will definitely do that if I decide to try to get one of the mixtes. I was trying to give the LBS some business but it has been nothing but a pain in the butt ... I always feel guilty when we circumvent the LBS to buy direct, buy from eBay, etc., but I think I am officially over that guilt.

I would imagine that SOma would not be happy about this either....I'd contact them.

But first!!! Ask for your deposit back....you have every right to, given the way this is unfolding. You've shown good faith...what's their end???
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

Given the way the dent was painted over, I think the original quality control problem lies with Soma, unfortunately. In any event, I went by the bike shop yesterday and a replacement frame is on its way.

I really hope it fits ... I am having doubts once again, because this weekend we measured the effective top tube on my Puch mixte (which fits me beautifully) and it's about a centimeter longer than the ETT on my Bianchi (which is too reachy). I have a 10cm stem on the Puch, and a 5cm stem on the Bianchi! So the overall geometry of the bike matters a lot, and this is just a crap shoot at the moment. I don't think the seat tube angle is any different on the Soma than it is on the Bianchi, though, as I recall, so the smaller size may be fine. We'll see. If not, eBay here I come. (Unless someone here is on the fence about a 50 cm Smoothie ES! I will give you guys first crack if it does not fit.)

I got email from Soma, there is no waiting list on the Buena Vista mixtes.

Buy from their website or order through your LBS, first come/first served.

(maybe that will keep me from ordering one and building bike number FIVE, when really I should just be riding the bikes I have and leaving my wallet locked in a safe somewhere! )
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

i'd like to build one for my wife if you unload the frame but she might need a 48cm.