Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, we are now getting very excited about this (I even love the cobalt blue color, and I'd kind of given up on loving the color of a bike that would fit me) and the big discussion now is whether to build it up with Campy Veloce/Centaur (stealing the triple from either my road bike or my husband's, since they don't make them anymore, and maybe putting a compact double on one of the old bikes) or doing a more standard touring setup with bar end shifters and a Deore rear. (I guess that decision means I'm deciding whether this will replace my road bike, or be in addition to it.)

I'm excited. These are good choices to have. And building a bike from scratch is so much more fun than buying a whole one. This will be the third bike we've built for me, but the other two were single speeds so this is much more complicated. And fun.

Hooray!
    Yay, Dex, for finding the Smoothie ES!

That colbalt blue is just gorgeous.... oh, my! http://www.somafab.com/extrasmoothiepix.html
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

She is ordered.

I went with the steel fork, I'm not sure if I will regret that or not. The bike shop can still get me a Campy triple so I am a happy, happy girl. It should be here in a week and then we'll start putting it together.

I'm going to have the shop build it for me instead of my husband ... he has done a great job for me on both of the builds he's done, but he will be starting a new job soon and we both feel a little guilty about all the free advice and parts the shop has given us, when we've only bought one bike from them. So I'm going to pay them to build this one and he can keep working on his own Bianchi build.

Hoooray! How exciting! (we want pics as soon as possible, of course!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Well, my frame that was supposed to arrive in about a week is still not here, and now I've found out that Soma is coming out with a mixte frame. So I am now having buyer's remorse because that is what I want: a real modern mixte designed to be a road bike, not a cruiser, built up with Campy and reasonably wide tires. That is my dream bike!

My husband suggested we go ahead and build up the Smoothie ES and then we can do a component swap once the Soma mixte is out, assuming it comes in my size, and I can sell the Smoothie frame. (I've already paid for the Smoothie.)

Quote Originally Posted by xeney View Post
    ... and now I've found out that Soma is coming out with a mixte frame. So I am now having buyer's remorse because that is what I want: a real modern mixte designed to be a road bike...
    I heard about the Soma mixte yesterday and was trying to find out more info. I am looking for a steel commuter bike and at 4'10", the mixte really sounds appealing. I just wish I knew how long before it comes out and what it will cost...

BIAK said something about the Soma mixte, I think he said it was about 2 years out.

Here's a link to the blog on Soma about the mixte:
    http://somafab.blogspot.com/2008/04/...xte-frame.html
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

I waaaaaant one!

When they say "first production" do they mean first ones they'll be selling, or first prototype?

3 or 4 months is muuuuch sooner than 2 years! Cool! (where did I get 2 years stuck in my head?)

Ooooh, I want one....

I'm going to write to them and ask.

Unless this frame is dramatically more expensive than any other Soma frame (and maybe even then), or unless the sizing turns out to be really odd, I will buy this frame as soon as I can get my hands on one. If it's going to be available in a few months I'll probably skip the Smoothie ES build. If I'm looking at a year or longer, I'll build up the Smoothie ES and plan on a component swap later.

Now I am really excited!

Oh...no Aurora...
    But hey...who'd argue with a Soma!!!?? It's a great looking bike!!!

I think Waterford makes a mixte too....I'll go look
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

Waterford Diva:

http://www.waterfordbikes.com/site/d...iva_photos.php

Nice bike, but not a mixte. (doesn't have 3 stays)

Phooey.

yeah I'm not sure if hte soma smoothie es would fit me or not. it looks pretty promising as a frame though. I wonder how they measure standover. I wonder how I grow more...

My frame came in on Friday but the bike shop was too busy yesterday so we'll go back this week. I have huge buyer's remorse but I'm going to give it a try.

Xeney, did you hear back from Soma? Did they say when the mixte would be out?

Please don't have remorse, that Smoothie frame is beautiful! It will be a gorgeous bike!