Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: PNW Tri Novices

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    BMission 3--drawing up a training schedule.

Yeeha! What the heck. Why not?
    Sweet!! I didn't realize how close it was... it's June already, so only 11 weeks, good time to get thinking about stuff.

I haven't wore my wetsuit in the Danskin or really any sprint distance (the local one I have done is too warm anyway), but I suppose if I think I can get out of it fast enough, I might. I'm with you -- good thing they don't time you putting it ON!! Pulling it up over the hips... getting rid of excess stuff behind the knees... pulling it up and over the shoulders... WHEW. Exhausting.

Ooh, that adrenalin stuff

OK then.

Yesterday morning I got up at 5:15 am to do the Uphill Grind before I went to work. I am NOT a morning person. But I never want to do it after work. And I'm always pretty wound up after I do it, so seemed like a good way to start a day. And I never get enough sleep anyway (a fibromyalgia thing), so I figured, why not? This may be second nature to some of you, but I assure you, it is a definite first for me. Worked great, except I need to leave about another 15 minutes of margin/shower time/cat medicating time before I leave for work.

Today Quillfred and I went to the St. Edwards Park pool! BOY, that pool is beautiful. We may have stopped after every lap or two to breathe, but we did do the requisite 12 laps that constitute 1/3 mile. First time I've been lap swimming for probably five years or so, and first time I tried to do only crawl. So now I know what I need to work on, at least in part (pacing, breathing). And I do a very funny little curly/scoopy thing with my left hand; good thing I don't have to watch it on videotape.

I came out of the pool all excited and still can't quite get rid of the adrenalin, and it's been about three hours...whew! Very pumped.

Teigyr---I know you have a pool at LA Fitness. But boy, you should come try this one with us. It is just lovely. Not crowded either.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I'm willing to go to any pool

I'm the same way re swimming and I really think it's a breathing thing. I don't tired but I get out of breath, if that makes sense. If I "regroup", I can go a long time but unfortunately, there's no regrouping in OW swimming.

Must work on that. The breathing, not installing handrails in lakes.

Hey everyone! I live (technically) in Hood River and we have a lovely 9.4 acres of pear orchard and horse pasture and lots and lots of nice green grassy yard. IF summer is here by the time this gathering is occurring, then anyone who would like is more than welcome to come stay at our place too. We don't have lots of room in the house but there's tons of room to park cars, pitch tents, etc. We even have a few tents of our own we'd pitch for ya (just ask Wahie, we've got a tent that could hold all of us!!).
    I also have a pretty nice little shop/bike work area with lots of tools and such for anyone's use.
    Just wanted to throw that out there. I'll probably be participating in some of the "reindeer games". Though for the bike ride I will be doing the local "summit to surf" where we ride from Welches (small town on Hwy 26 in the foothills of Mt Hood) to Hood River (via Timberline=lots of climbing).
    Anyway, just wanted to throw the offer out there.

Thank you! That is very generous of you!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Is this now the 26th/27th? Cause if so, I may be able to come! The weekend before is the Seafair Tri.

Yes it has been changed to the 26th and 27th.

And I will vouch for SM. Her tent really could accomodate all of us. It is a tent of luxury. And, if you so chose to camp at her place you would be able to see their new baby.... it's a horse, not a human.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I have a special request.... at one point people had talked about a gift for me for hosting this little weekend. It would mean a lot to me if rather than a gift... you considered donating to Athletes for a Cure. The link is in my sig line. Thanks for considering it.

C.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Wahine, it would be a pleasure.

Although I may still bring you a tiara to wear on your next Ironman, or some other Pansy Palmetto-type thing.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Jeez, you guys, it just took me, like, three years to put on my new wetsuit. Oog. Please tell me that part gets a little easier with practice, or I'll have to sleep in it the night before....whew.

It definitely gets easier with practice. And there are a few tricks, like putting plastic bags on your feet to help them slide in and spraying yourself with Pam. I hear that works, I've never actually done it of course.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Whoof. Glad to hear it, Wahine---thank you! Sheesh. If only we could suck in our butts the way we can suck in our guts...

I also went back to my new favorite book, Slow Fat Triathlete, and was glad to see she got pretty sweaty (not a good thing) and took about a half hour. Thank you, Jayne.

For those of you who can use some cheap entertainment tonight, I put on my sunglasses and one of Chris' hats, and made him take a picture:

Attachment 6247
    Last edited by salsabike; 08-18-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Cool!! Thanks for the photo Salsa. You look like you're ready to roll. A little word of advice tho, save the sunglasses for T1 and the hat for T2, got that?

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Just a mild word of caution.....while I know that I've heard of people using Pam to get their wetsuits on, I have also heard that it can potentially break down the material in the neoprene so it's best to use bodyglide or something along those lines.....
    Just a thought, maybe I'm way off base....as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Whoof. Glad to hear it, Wahine---thank you! Sheesh. If only we could suck in our butts the way we can suck in our guts...

I also went back to my new favorite book, Slow Fat Triathlete, and was glad to see she got pretty sweaty (not a good thing) and took about a half hour. Thank you, Jayne.

For those of you who can use some cheap entertainment tonight, I put on my sunglasses and one of Chris' hats, and made him take a picture:

Attachment 6247

wowie-zowie...SalsaHotMama!