Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Off-topic, but location specific- Looking for a financial advisor

To disable ads, please log-in.

I hope no one minds me throwing an off-topic thread in here, but I wanted to ask you mid-Atlantic ladies for advice. Does anyone out there know a good, reliable, affordable financial advisor that you'd recommend?

Here's the deal:

I'm considering buying and running a restaurant in Shepherdstown, WV. Based on what I know so far, I believe that I can afford the purchase of the restaurant if I sell my condo in Gaithersburg and move to somewhere in or around Jefferson County. The current owner's estimate of annual income from the restaurant, though, would be a significant decrease from what I'm currently earning. But, living in WV would also mean a decrease in housing and commuting expenses, and the current owner said that his family's eating expenses are taken through the restaurant. At this point, I need to take a serious look at my own budget and finances, in addition to reviewing the restaurant's accounting. The one financial advisor I've ever dealt with is located all the way down in NoVa, and I didn't particularly like him to begin with. So, I need to find someone with whom I can sit down and go over all of this.

Oh, and I guess I can make this somewhat on-topic, as the restaurant's just a hop, skip and a jump across the Potomac River from the C&O Canal. Eeeeasy access for cycling
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Wow. Talk about a life change!

Sorry, I don't know any financial advisors, but I wish I did. If you find someone good, let the rest of us know.

And I think there might be some rides with lunch stops in our future!

Hmmm. let me ask around.

Do you know anything about the tax structure in WV?
    Why is the owner selling?
    Can I work there?
    What kind of restaurant?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Hmmm. let me ask around.

Do you know anything about the tax structure in WV?
    Why is the owner selling?
    Can I work there?
    What kind of restaurant?
    Zen, it'd be great if you know someone.

1) At this point, I know nothing about the tax structure in WV. That's one of many things I need to research.

2) The owner and her husband apparently have several life issues they're dealing with (illness, caring for aging parents, husband is mayor of Shep'town, etc) and decided that selling the restaurant would allow them more time to deal with these things. They are reluctant sellers and are very willing to help with things like financing and training. Here's more info.

3) Dunno. Considering the situation, I don't even know yet if I can work there

4) This kind of restaurant: Shaharazade's Exotic Tea Room

Janice, if I get this place, I definitely would intend to play it up to the cycling crowd. There is vegetarian food on the menu, but I don't think any of it is pure vegan, except maybe the oatmeal (without milk). If you come visit, I'll see what I can do for you
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

I have a very good friend in the Urbana area that has retired from the Navy and has been employed as a financial advisor the last year or so. I could get you in touch with him. I've not used his advice in this capacity so I need to state up front that I am not a client of his and am not verifying his ability at this job. I have been a friend of his for 10+ years and think very highly of him and his personal ethics/morals. If you would want a contact email or something I can pass that along to you and you can interview him to see if he is someone that you would want to work with.

I go to Shepherdstown for scrapbooking weekends every few months or so. If you buy it, let us know, I'd love to be a patron when I'm in the area! What a great little town!

There is a cycling shop on the same road I believe. Just noticed it when I was there last month for my weekend. Usually we don't leave the hotel and just scrapbook non-stop. But this last time I told my friend that next time (june) I want to go out and check out the main drag!
    Last edited by Possegal; 03-21-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Possegal, I'll pm you for your friend's contact info. Thanks!

The bike shop in Shep'town is tiny. They have a few Specialized's, focusing on hybrids and bmx. They also do outdoor adventures, one of which is a trail "ride" on Segways. Definitely take any chance you can get to check out German St when you get out there again, there are some really great shops and restaurants. Of course, I highly recommend Shaharazade's , but the Yellow Brick Bank is probably the most well-known restaurant there. And Blue River is a wonderful little clothing/gift shop that opened last year. Shep'town is a real hidden gem.

How long have they run this business?
    Have you seen any income statements yet?

Oh dear. None of the tea is organic?
    The Leaf, p.5-6
    Last edited by Zen; 03-21-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    How long have they run this business?
    Have you seen any income statements yet?

Oh dear. None of the tea is organic?
    The Leaf, p.5-6
    4) They've had the business for close to 3.5 years.

5) Not yet. I want to decide whether I can afford this at all before I get to the point of looking at their books.

I haven't yet looked into the brand of tea that they sell. Since I'm at work right now (shame on me), I don't have time to read the entire article you linked. At a glance, it seems to focus on the Puerh teas from Taiwan, and Shaharazade's assortment goes way beyond that. But I can add this to the list of questions I'm putting together for when (if...?) I sit down to interview the owners more comphrehensively.

Hummus and vegetables and pita is vegan, and I'd be satisfied with that!

Oohh, I want you to buy it so I have a reason to head up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Oohh, I want you to buy it so I have a reason to head up that way.
    Yeah, I'm really excited about the prospect of this, too

I am pragmatic enough, though, to realize that it may be nothing but a pipe dream. Right now, I'm just gathering info to be able to decide whether or not to pursue it. But I appreciate any fingers you care to cross for me (in addition whatever advice I can get)!

It's Shepardstown, there's a nice bike/ped dedicated bridge to the C&O from there, I'm right over the mountain. What more reason do you need?

Looky here -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUH8a4xFVrY

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Wow.
    Step away for a moment to go to an appointment and look at what I miss!
    How exciting, Tam!! And nerve-wracking, too!!!
    My financial advisor is in Massachusetts - not much help there - but is affiliated with Ameriprise. Since they're nation-wide, maybe they could help you out. Dunno. I've been happy with my guy, but I don't know if I could tell you I know enough to say he's good or bad. Seems to do right by me, tho. The site may help you with some questions to ask, too.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Zen, that stretch of the C&O has always been one of my favorites, and proximity to Shep'town is only one of the reasons why. That switchbacked path down to the canal is fun. Cool video

Regina, the financial advisor I dealt with years ago was with Ameriprise (then American Express). He seemed good, but talked a little over my head. I'll probably check to see whether they have someone else closer to me, since I do have an account with them. Good idea to check the site for questions to ask, I hadn't thought of that.

Have you run a restaurant before? It's really, really, REALLY hard work. BF is a line cook, and the last job he had was in a fabulous restaurant. The chef/owner had years of experience cooking at the best restaurants in RI and NYC. He had a creative menu, youth, energy, a seemingly ideal location, and a wife who helped manage the operation. He continually got fantastic reviews in our local magazines and newspapers. Yet even he, who had all the skill, talent and knowledge to run a restaurant couldn't make enough money to live on. It failed in 3 years.

Sorry if I'm a bubble burster, but my main regret in life is that I didn't discourage my mother's idea of buying a bagel shop when I knew it wasn't a good investment. It ruined her in a number of ways (financially, psychologically, physically), and she didn't recover. I honestly think the stress of that stupid shop took years off her life. I'd hate to see anyone suffer the way she did.

Now, if you know what you're doing, and it looks like a money-maker, more power to you! There are restaurants that make money. I've just seen the other side more often, and thought you should consider the consequences before you dive in.

redrhodie, that's exactly why I'm trying to be pragmatic. I've heard all sorts of nightmare stories about the restaurant biz and I'm very concerned about what my options would be if I bought the place and it flopped. But, on the other hand, there are places that do become sucessful and established (albeit with a ton of blood, sweat & tears). So I'm taking as much time as I can to explore this before I make any commitment. There's also every chance that it'll end up sold before I make a decision, in which case I'll be sure to let the new owners know what my expectations are as a regular customer