Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Base Miles

Base Miles

To disable ads, please log-in.

I’d like to start training for a century that is at the end of June, but due to my work schedule I won’t be able to really start training until about 10 weeks before the ride. I am ashamed to say that when the fall and winter hit, my bike stayed indoors, I just started riding regularly again about a week ago.

So, I’m starting from scratch here with no real base miles to speak of. My question is, how much do base miles factor in to a training program? Almost every training program that I’ve looked at stresses base miles as a prerequisite to a training program. I know there is probably no magic number, but I don’t want to start doing more intense training rides if there is a higher chance that I will end up injured.

Thanks for your help!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Is there any way you could ride your bike to work, even part way? Commuting is the absolute best way to incorporate riding into your everyday routine. Even if you commute is short, time in the saddle is what counts.

There are some century training threads somewhere in here, take a look at the New Riders section (?). Being consistent is more important than piling on the miles closer to the century. Get riding regularly now, and increase distance on weekends (gradually) ought to get you there. Of course, I don't know what condition you are in now...I'm sure others will have good (better!) advice than I can give.

I am no expert, and I know others will chime in here. But, here are a few questions that pop to mind.

How many years have you been riding? Have you done centuries before?

How hard is this century? Lots of intensity built into the terrain (hills, area known for headwinds, temps that will be difficult for you), or pretty gentle?

If you didn't bike all winter...did you keep working out aerobically doing something else, like in the gym? Were you a regular cross country skier who put in 3 hours of aerobic work on weekends, etc?

Just some thoughts!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Wow…I really did leave out a lot of information in my post

This is my second year of riding. Last year I did 2 centuries, but didn’t even think about training until I had at least 2 months of consistent riding behind me, probably around 400 miles. The June century is relatively easy as far as terrain goes, but my endurance really needs some work.

Was I aerobically active during the fall and winter? If sitting at the bar drinking beer and watching football is aerobic, then yes!

Since I haven't been keeping up with my fitness during the winter, I’m afraid of jumping back into intense cycling. I guess I'm a little aprehensive about taking on this "10 weeks from 0 to 100" challenge.

I am super competitive with myself, so there is also the mental aspect of not living up to my own expectations…I need to learn how to turn that down a notch or two.

Tulip - I would love to commute by bike, but Atlanta is just too scary, I only feel safe riding on the street with groups.

I'm impressed that you are doing a century this year! If you start out gradually, you won't be going from 0-100. You'll be going from 0-5, and 5-10, and 10-20, and 20-30...

I won't try to convince you about commuting. I'll just say that there are ways to make it work. I lived in and around Washington, DC for many years and found a way to do it. But if you live in the out suburbs, it's harder to find alternative routes that have fewer cars, but partway commutes are certainly worthwhile.

Get on your bike, starting now, and just ride a little bit every day, or every other day. Use your bike for errands where and when you can. Start taking spinning classes if that's more your style. Increase to longer rides on the weekends. Next winter, stay on your bike (or in the pool, or just move) and it will be easier. It's always easier to maintain fitness than to restart it every year.

Don't wait! Biking is fun!

There are several 8 week training programs on line. That is what I used last year and it was plenty of time.

Here is the thread I was thinking of:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ntury+training