Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Average Speed?

Question Average Speed?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was wondering if I am riding fast enough. I usually ride 20 miles a day and my average speed is about 17 miles an hour. Is this about right or should I be able to go faster? I was just curious.

My husband and I rode 62 miles today and I feel great.We are getting ready to ride in the Texas Coastal Cruise in 2 weeks. Maybe it will be our first century ride.

Vicki

Don't think there is a "right" speed...

How fast you can go depends on many factors:
    How long you've been riding, how fit you are, what kind of bike you have, how flat (or hilly!) your usual routes are, how much you ate before you went out riding, wether you were riding alone or drafting....
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

Average speed

You're ahead of me, I've been back at it since Feb, and no matter what, I'm, stuck between 13 & 14 mph! So, you're doing great in my book!!!!
    Sandy
    Livin' for summer...

Vicki - How did your big ride go? What did you end up with for an average speed? I'm like Wawaski and go as hard as I can and only end up with 13 - 14 mph. But we do have hills where I live which holds me back. I don't know what I could do if I lived somewhere flat. I am going to Florida to ride next weekend and I will find out. But I bet it won't be much more than 15. I find if I take frequent rest stops, I can sustain my speed better.

You're right ayermail2, lately there has been a strong head wind and I have to really ride hard to keep my average speed at what it used to be. There are a lot of variables to it.

Thanks wawaski, I like your book.

Diane, we did the Texas Coastal Cruise and it was fun. Completed our first century. What an accomplishment. I can't remember what my average was. This Saturday we are going for our second century (Pineywoods Purgatory). My rides have always been on flat land, this one has hills. We'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to it.

Vicki

Pineywoods Purgatory!?!!!

Pineywoods Purgatory!?!!!

Sounds like you could be in for an interesting time!!
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)