Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Yikes! Who are you, and what have you done to Mel?!?!

Not to worry, Grasshopper. There's plenty of evidence that nothing has been done to Good Ol' Mel:

* I still don't like cold
    * I still don't like to get up early
    * I'm strongly considering not doing the rides with 18% grades: you of all people know my track record with steep ascents and Fig Newtons
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Yikes! Who are you, and what have you done to Mel?!?!

My thinking exactly!

Mel - you are going to kick some butt on ALC!

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    My thinking exactly!

Mel - you are going to kick some butt on ALC!
    Boy I sure hope so! Actually, I just want to finish the ride (or week of riding) without feeling totally miserable.

Hey ladies....hope to see some of you out there. Maybe we can all ride together. I'm meeting with a bunch of the folks from the Northern California Bike Forums group (www.bikeforums.net) near registration at 7:30 -- most will have on the Northern Cali kit.......Look for us.........ride with us........swear and curse with us some are doing the metric century, most the century and maybe a few double metric takerss.........I'm doing the century unless someone slips me some ride enhancement drugs..........

Asia

oh yeah is anyone doing Sea Otter the next day??

Quote Originally Posted by NYGIRL777 View Post
    Hey ladies....hope to see some of you out there. Maybe we can all ride together. I'm meeting with a bunch of the folks from the Northern California Bike Forums group (www.bikeforums.net) near registration at 7:30 -- most will have on the Northern Cali kit.......Look for us.........ride with us........swear and curse with us some are doing the metric century, most the century and maybe a few double metric takerss.........I'm doing the century unless someone slips me some ride enhancement drugs..........

Asia

oh yeah is anyone doing Sea Otter the next day??
    Asia,

I'm leaning toward doing the century, but since I seem to change my mind on which route I'm going to attempt at least 3 times a day ...

I'll keep an eye out for your group -- always good to have someone to swear & curse with.

-- Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    Asia,

I'm leaning toward doing the century, but since I seem to change my mind on which route I'm going to attempt at least 3 times a day ...

I'll keep an eye out for your group -- always good to have someone to swear & curse with.

-- Melissa
    yeahhhhhhhhh the more the merrier............. I know what you mean - I keep thinking 65 is really enough ......then I switch to the century..........then I start thinking well if I do the century I may as well do the metric double .......then reality sets in and I switch back to the metric

If you all come upon yellow jackets with a grey swoosh please say hello. That's my bike club guys- Benicia Bicycle Club. They might be wearting argyle socks too.

They are doing the "hard" century- the one that goes out to Henry Coe State Park.

Have fun- hope you don't get too much wind down there. Stay warm, should be nice and coooool.

Looking foward to ride reports!
    Nancy

My Ride Report on the TB Century:

I opted to do the 100 mile route. I didn't see MYGIRL777 or her group, nor did I see Nancy's Benicia cycling group. But, as I was about to go into the check-in building, I ran into one of my co-workers, who tried to cajole me into doing the 200km with him. Right. He wanted to ride with me, but I think by the first rest stop it became apparent that our paces differed considerably. I encouraged him to go on ahead, and was relieved when he left so I could ride at the pace I needed to ride. Nice guy, just a lot faster than I am, and I kept feeling like I was holding him up.

The route sheet was spectacular; one of the best I've ever seen. It said things like "Go straight to jump to mile 59.4 if after 11:30 am." Or "Turn right to jump to mile 89.7 after 2:30 pm." In fact, the ACTC Cycling Club did a sensational job of putting on the event. Rest stops were well stocked -- they even had the PB&J sandwiches made for you! Volunteers were super nice and helpful. Another friend of mine from work was doing communication at the top of Henry Coe. The route was well marked with the requisite arrows.

The route was beautiful; it started off with rolling hills, which are my favorite. At about 35 miles, the fun began. We turned onto Thomas Grade, and the road went upward. About a mile later, we turned onto E. Dunne Ave., and the road got really serious about turning upward. Yikes. It pretty much stayed that way for the next 9 miles, and as Nancy (Bike Goddess) had warned some of the grades were really steep. In fact, my Garmin said 21% at times, but I decided that it overestimates. I also quit looking at the Garmin and just kept pedaling. If you want to look at something, look at the pretty views or scenery. Or look at how the cyclists up the road look kind of like Easter eggs in their brightly colored attire. Think of something, just not how hard or steep the hill is. Some folks were already jetting down the hill -- how did they get up there so fast?

Henry Coe rest stop was at the top of the hill. Unfortunately, it was windy as all get out up there, so I had a hard time staying warm. I ate some more PBJ and a potato and I forget what else, and decided to try my luck down the hill. It was an exciting downhill -- moderate traffic, narrow road, cyclists coming up (OK, struggling up the hill), steep enough grades that you really should modulate your brakes, some pot holes (especially at the top portion), cyclists passing you as they barrel down the hill. Yup, it got pretty crowded out there.

With Henry Coe out of the way, we rode for a bit in the greater metropolitan Gilroy area. Then it was time for a stint in the Gilroy Hot Springs. OK, after Henry Coe, the Hot Springs hills weren't that bad. But still, they could be challlenging. I found myself in my little chain ring for quite a bit of the time. Of course I made the excuse that I was pacing myself to last the 100 miles. Uh huh.

Got to the last rest stop, where a very nice guy was taking pictures to put on the ACTC website. He made sure that he took everyone's picture at the rest stop, and made sure the lighting was optimal for the pics. They should be up in a few days -- it'll be fun to take a look. At that point, we had 25 miles left in the ride, and I started doing mental calculations to figure out what time I'd get back to Gavilan College.

After that, there were a few more rollers (but I was tired) then a nice downhill section that I thought of as free miles. Then we were back in the flats and oh-my-god, who turned up the wind?!? Then we turned right, and it got even worse. I was working hard to do 10mph. We'd turn left and get a slight break, then turn right again and be right back into the headwind. At that point, I was so wishing that I had one of those Star Trek transporter things. Criminy. I suck on flats in headwinds -- EVERYONE was passing me. And we just kept riding into the wind. Sometimes I'd be riding into the wind cursing it, when it would intensify for a few precious moments. GAH. At 10mph, I had about 2 more hours of this joy ahead of me. This was not how you want to feel about 85 miles into the ride. My mental gymnastics work pretty well to ignore hills, but I just can't seem to make it work for wind.

Thankfully, we made a left and only had to deal with a crosswind that tossed me around like a toy boat in the bay. Got to the end of the street, and I just KNEW we were going to have to turn right into the stupid wind. But no -- it was a left turn, and I got to enjoy a tailwind for the last 10 miles. Nice -- I was doing 23mph fairly effortlessly. Whew, at this rate, I'd be able to finish before they closed the course!

Got to Gavilan College -- the parking lot was a lot emptier than when I'd started the ride in the morning. But you know, I was just glad to be there!

How'd everyone else's ride go?

-- Melissa

Thumbs up

Congrats Mel!!

I was thinking about you today as I watched the trees in my backard bend over in the wind.

I remember that flat stretch heading back to Gavilan College, which heads due west into the prevailing winds. It was a whupfest for me when I did the metric a few years back and the wind then was nothing like it was today. So great job !!

You're turning into a aminal, kiddo.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Thanks, Jobob! Yep, that stretch into the headwind was indeed a whupfest.

I just realized that this was my first 100 mile ride since I rode the Primavera Century with my brother back in 1994.

Woo-hoo! Pass the fig newtons! (or was it oreos?)

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Woo-hoo! Pass the fig newtons! (or was it oreos?)

It was Fig Newtons.

Fig newtons and LemonDrops all around....eww. Maybe just the 'newtons tonight.

Yay Mel!

Hey Snap,

I was wondering if you were working the Tierra Bella. I kept my eye out for you, but obviously didn't see you.

Your club did a fantastic job on the event!

-- Mel

Thanks Melissm for the report. I too felt sorry for any cyclist out today in these nasty winds, which are, BTW still blowing strong up my way.

Congrats to you on a well done ride! If you can get through that ride, the ALC ride will seem like lemon drops!
    Nancy