Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Metatarsal Button and Insoles

To disable ads, please log-in.

HI

I have searched the forum and found a lot of useful information (thank you!). Now I of course, want more!

I have ridiculously high arches, and I have custom made orthotics, that I use in my running shoes and sneakers. They are so big, however that they don't fit in any cycling shoe I have ever tried (nothing has that deep of a heel pocket w/o being too wide). I have tried a few "generic" ones, like Superfeet etc, and had no luck until I got some form Sole that you can heat up and mold. They made a big difference, but I still get some numbness.

I read about metatarsal buttons in this forum, and started looking on the internet for what they actually are. Now my question is: Do I have to find another insole with the button built in, or could I buy the separate ones and use with my current insoles?

If there's another thread that covers this question, I apologize. Just send me over to that one!

Thanks again for such a great forum!

They are sold separately, lots of different brands. The ones I use are from Germany and cost me $11/pair... but I don't remember the brand name. They are self-stick and you place them on top of your insole, behind your metatarsal heads. The shoe store where I buy them helped me find the right spot. (Shoes 'n' Feet, it's a chain, but a good one http://shoesnfeet.com/other.htm )

Metatarsal buttons made a huge improvement in my cycling shoes, and I'm really glad I got them.

Edit: by the way, metatarsal buttons are very different from metatarsal cushions. What you're looking for is the button which goes behind the metatarsal heads; the cushion or pad goes under them. Watch out for that at shoe stores, they might not make the distinction. Oh, and if you google "metatarsal button" you get a whole bunch of cycling sites!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 03-16-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I don't know if they're enough arch for you, but Specialized makes an insole for high arches, and it includes a metatarsal button. I replaced my shimano R300 heat-moldable insoles with the "flat foot" version of the specialized insoles, and they were much more comfortable.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

Superfeet berry and orange have thin met buttons built in, might be worth just trying a pair on at REI to see how they feel.

(but they cost more than a pair of buttons, and if you've already got insoles you like you might want to start by slapping a pair of buttons on and seeing if they work for you. You can always take them off the insoles if you hate them.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Don't know about the already made insoles really, but just wanted to tell you that orthotics made for running/walking are different from orthotics made specifically for cycling. So, if you are having issues with your feet when cycling and have really strange feet, i.e. high, high arches, you might want to get orthotics made for cycling.

I have feet problems but not ever from cycling, only when I run/play tennis, etc. So I really don't need a special orthotic or fancy insert for my cycling shoes.

Thanks for all your input!

Turns out the town I live in doesn't have a single drug or sports/shoe store that carries the buttons. Only the cushions. So I just ordered some online. Hopefully that will work. If not, I'll try the Superfeet Berry or Specialized BG foot beds.

If you have trouble figuring out where to place them, please PM me.