Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I have lived in Austin 21 years of my life and don't even like being in a car on some of those hills. I realized coming down Beauford road, it was one of the only roads ever to make me car sick.

It took fours year of riding to finally just try Jester. I have heard some people say they believe it looks worse from 2222 than it is. I think they are crazy, it is as bad as it looks. We already plan on going again next weekend. I have a sickness now that will only be cured by getting to the top.
    Do you ride 2222? I'm afraid to ride 2222 because of "The Hill" and there doesn't seem to be much of a shoulder to ride on. Also, I have seen too many accidents, some fatal, on that stretch of road that I'm nervous just driving it. I was driving 2222 on my way to an early morning run on Town Lake when I saw a guy climbing the 2222 hill, in the dark, without any lights on his bike. There were a lot of cars on the road for that time of morning and I couldn't believe that he was taking such a big risk.

I believe that Jester is as bad as it looks from 2222. I have driven up the hill and know that it is long and steep. I was just on a 50 mile ride in Blanco this past weekend and one of the guys I was riding with was talking about climbing Jester. He said that he thought that the curve in the road is what makes the hill so tough. Would you agree? To me, I would think the curve would add to the toughness of the climb, but the length of time climbing would be the toughest part. I have no intentions of climbing it anytime soon, but I wish you luck this weekend. I believe that you will get to the top of Jester. When you do, let us know.

ALCR- We ride down Tumbleweed Hill (what I call it from days of old when there was the Texas Tumbleweed restuarant up there). It is a little hairy but the lane is really wide and cars are very considerate. I will not ride it after about 11:00 am though. Weekend morning traffic on 2222 is not nearly as bad as other times. Being a native Austinite, I know the dangers of 2222 and how many fatalities the road has had but I feel pretty comfortable on that small stretch. I would never ride up it though! My little 4 cyclinder car doesn't make it up it well, no way I could.

I didn't make it far around the curve, but I think what is so tough is the hill starts steep at 2222. There is no easing into Jester. The part I did make it around the curve wasn't so bad, I was going so slow I didn't notice turning. My husband said that was bad and then it is steepest at the top. Your legs are already screaming and it turns to the 20%+ grade. I walked most of that part, so not sure.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Nice going Ama! Jester is a beast. I've tried it twice, made it once. I can die satisfied.
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

I still haven't made it but I have only tried twice. It is on the route tomorrow, I haven't been riding much this summer but maybe third times a charm? I have made it up Lakewood without collapsing.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan