Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorty-shorts?

Shorty-shorts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Spring is springing and the daily rides and lovely weekend jaunts are beginning. And, already, the tan lines are becoming obnoxious.

I am looking for a nice pair of real shorty-shorts that are comfy for long rides .... something with a 3- or 5-inch inseam. I have a pair of Terrys that I can't stand for more than 20 miles or so, and a pair of Fox shorts that are good up to around 50 miles. My good long distance shorts are all longer inseams and thus, the mid-thigh tan line that doesn't look as nice in a bikini (and hey, I work hard for those legs, I wanna show 'em off!). Anybody have a shorty pair that they like for long distances, 100-150 miles or so?

Check out the SSS shorts from Shebeest. They're a bit shorter though maybe not short enough. I sure like the new Shebeest chamois. Shebeest may make an even shorter version.

Call the ladies at TE, they (especially Susan) have given me really, really good advice.

I mentioned these in another thread, but I like the Performance Ultras. They're short and have a elastic, molded chamois like much more expensive shorts but are very reasonably priced. You can pick up two pairs for less than the price of one pair of some shorts, and I find them to be the most comfy I've worn. Check out my review on www.girlbike.com and you can see how short they are on me (I'm 5'2"). I would wear them for a century and plan to come May!

Good luck,
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have been contemplating the SSS shorts for some time ... I may give them a try.

As for the Performance Ultras ... they might do the trick as well. Emily writes a compelling review. And on my 5'11'' body, the length might be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Ive always loved my performance classics. 5 inch inseam, not very heavy but not see-through
    Ride it, break it, fixit, ride it...

i wear the performance ultras... and find them very comfortable... i'm another shorty... so i won't buy shorts with long inseams! (even so.. i push the shorts up in the summer!)

If you look on Team Estrogen's store site (link at the bottom of this page) they carry some shorty-shorts. The Descente Bliss short and the Shebeest RPM have shorter inseams (I think they're 5"). Also, PI's Sugar Short has a 4.5 or 5" inseam, as well.
    Last edited by slinkedog; 03-02-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Here's a real deal on some Hind shorty shorts:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1220

Strangely, I couldn't find the Ultra shorts at all - wonder if they're discontinued? If so, I am glad I bought three pairs last year!

Emily in NC
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

do these shorty shorts ride up while riding say 25 miles or so? i've not worn biking shorts before and am ready to order some. still trying to decide WHAT to order and do not know. i live on the coast and it gets very hot here in the summer. just concerned about the heat and short "ride up".

Wow - I'm amazed at how many people like short biking shorts. I tried a pair of short (inseam) shorts and absolutely hated the feel of them. I'm sticking with my Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts - with a 7" inseam.

And no, I'm really not tall, only 5'5". I use a serious amount of sunscreen, but I still end up with a shorts line - which I'm quite happy to just ignore.

I guess that just goes to show how much a personal preference this is!
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

i've never worn any of the biking shorts so that's why i was asking! i'm actually 5'8" so they may tend to ease up my leg while i'm riding. my question is - do the shorter shorts have a tendency to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by photosRphun
    ...so they may tend to ease up my leg while i'm riding.
    I've never had that problem with the Pearl Izumi's. I suspect that has to do more with the construction of the short than with the length - so you may see differences in the different brands.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

that makes sense! so much to learn in so little time!

I've never had a problem with bike shorts riding up. Now baggies - whole nother story. Once again there wasn't an option when I first started riding bikes, I bought mens shorts. I'm interested in trying the shorty shorts but I usually just roll my shorts up a few turns and achieve the same thing. Since I don't swim, tan lines aren't really something I think about anyway.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I don't like the shorties because they have a tendency to crawl up around the little soft part on my inner thigh ( sounds so much nicer than "flab")

As for tan lines, I relish them. Flaunt them. Wear them proudly: after all you are out on the bike!! What is the point of biker legs if not to show you are a biker?

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM