Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mt. Diablo?

Mt. Diablo?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I've ridden up and down the Northgate, and with my Spring Break coming up, I'd like to ride up the Northgate and down the Southgate for a little variety

Can someone post me directions from the bottom of the Southgate back to the Northgate area? And a good place to stop for lunch? I'll probably be parking my truck at that park off Oak Grove (I've forgotten the name!)

Thank you!!

~Diana

Here's the route I usually take -

You have to go through Diablo Country Club. Not because of safety concerns, but just to see the gorgeous homes. To take this detour, you need to find the hole in the wall while descending South Gate. It's a little hard to find - it will be on your right after reaching the area with homes; you make a sharp and steep right hand turn, then after about 100 yards of very rough pavement there will be a break in the white wall on your right. If you miss it, just continue on past the Athenian School and make a right on Diablo Road.

I normally take Diablo Road, right on Green Valley, left on Stone Valley, right on Danville Blvd. But, if you're looking for somewhere to eat you might just want to follow Diablo Road all the way into Danville.

From Danville Blvd head north several miles (there are plenty of strip malls here to find a snack). I hop on the bike path at the Rudgear intersection and take it all the way through Walnut Creek and over Ygnacio. If you're looking for food there's a Whole Foods right on the bike path, and you're only a block from downtown WC.

Staying on the bike path over Ygnacio, continue north a few miles until the path intersects the Contra Costa Canal Trail and turn right. You have a few options here. You can take the canal trail all the way back to Oak Grove, and then it's a mile or two from there back to Arbolado. Or you can turn into Heather Farm and take the Ygnacio Canal trail all the way back to Arbolado. Or you can do what I do, which is to ride through Heather Farm, cross Ygnacio at San Carlos Dr, and then follow the bike route signs back to Arbolado.

If I had any patience at all I would map this out on Bikely. Sorry. Here's a link to a map with the bike paths I mentioned - it does get a little tricky around Heather Farm.

Fyi in case you don't already know - if you park at the second lot at Arbolado, there's a bathroom and drinking fountain.

Have a great ride! I really enjoy riding both the north and south roads. The terrain and scenery are really quite different.

deedolce, I'm not in any kind of shape to do Diablo, and can't lead when I'm on the back anyway of any ride. But maybe some TE'ers will want to join you?

There's a New Mexico style place in Danville we go to after with great posole (sp?) and fry bread and ....
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

What day are you planning on riding it?

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Thank you Kim! I'm a little familiar with some of the roads, having grown up in Concord, and your dirctions make sense to me.

Veronica, yep, I posted in BikerForums too! (as Overthere) The guys are still working on the day, but Friday looks more likely at this point. If he can change his work schedule!

Trek420: Fry bread...yum!

Keep us posted on the date - I'll see if I can take the day off.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Jobob, that would be awesome! We can toodle along in the back together...

I'm doing Diablo tomorrow with my bike club group. We generally go up once a week. Not sure which way we are going up- I like doing the South Side first and the North Side back. The South side is an easier climb (once you get there!)

We park at Heather Farms (lots of parking and lots of restrooms) and when we come back (almost always the North Side down) we stop at Sweet Affair- a bakery just before you get to Ignacio Valley Rd (on the right side of N San Carlos) There are a number of restaurants in that mall PLUS Sports Basement has just opened shop at the far end. If you buy something at the Sweet Affair(GREAT sandwiches and soups-generous portions) you will get 10% off at the Sports Basement. I like going there because they have a lot of stuff-for outdoors enthusiasts.

AKA-Kim is right- go through the hole in the wall. They have a concrete wall that ends right at the opening but it is pretty obscure if you don't know to look. However, if you pass it no worry. When you get to the bottom take a right on Diablo Rd and then the 1st right (says private road, etc) which will also get you into the country club and the neat houses. You are basically going parallel to Diablo Road. At the end of the golf course you have to get back on Diablo Road. As you are going down, you will see a signal light. Bear to the LEFT and that will get you into downtown Danville. Diablo Rd ends at Hartz Ave. Lots of little restaurants in Danville. Just know that you will want to go North at some point to get onto Danville Blvd as that will get you back to the trail- just after Rudgear Road to the right (you will be going under the freeway overpass).

I might be interested in a ride on Friday- twice in a week. That otta be real interesting!

Keep us posted.
    Nancy

That sounds great too, Nancy. I'll bug the guys again tomorrow. Doug said it might take a bit of shuffling on his end to get off work.
    Once a week! Gawd, you guys are climbers! I wish it were in my backyard....

~Diana

Just to clarify - which I did on the other forum but not here... the Friday during my Spring Break would be March 28th, not *this* week.

I hope the timing works out! Sounds like lots of fun!

Diana

erg. I ALMOST did Mt Diablo. but we chickened out due to tired legs for Raleighdon and chicken legs for me

But I did get to meet the wonderful Bike Goddess!!!

she's great to ride with and a great cyclist too.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    But I did get to meet the wonderful Bike Goddess!!!
    And you got to meet the wonderful jobob, and the really-not-so-wonderful aka_kim too.

AKA_KIM? I am SO confused. Are you the one who was with Jobob? Yes, and I got to meet MR Jobob too.
    I got to meet so many people and I'm still not sure who they all are!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Not to worry Ms Mimi- They are all GREAT! When I took you to the hotel to get changed after our little jaunt up the river, Jobob, Leebob and Kim were the three folks standing by the elevator. When you came back down, we were waiting for you! Hope that helps!

Friday- March 28th eh? I'll see if my little group would be interested. Sarah usually has that day off and I know she would love to come. We kind of play it by the weather reports as we don't like to go up there in the rain.

Are you planning a ride to the summit or just to the ranger station?????????
    Nancy

Good heavens, for ME, that would be the Ranger station. I plan to goad the guys to go to the summit, while I snail my way to the Ranger station.

~Diana