Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Sheesh, I'll agree about how much work it is after 45 especially. I am a firm believer though, it's all from the mind , that our physical bodies manifest their health, or lack of it.
    I'll agree too -- and I grew up with fitness being a relatively low priority in our family, so I'm not sure I've ever really been! (maybe that's better? I never lost it?)

Starfish~ yes, I want to do the least impact sports at this point ... no running! My daily hikes keeps me sore enough. Adding the road cycling is what I've struggled getting back into (because it doesn't include my dog), but it's just what I'm going to have to do to drop this weight I believe, and without impact injuries. Oy, my feet get a rest!
    Dog does make a good motivator, since he'll pester you to go. You mention being plenty sore -- I found myself overwhelmed by soreness the first couple of weeks, and feel like I was pretty fortunate to be able to just "wallow in it." I don't think I did much of ANYTHING else beyond the exercise those first days while I adjusted to what was a HUGE change in the sort of activities I was doing!

So anyhow, ENJOY the aches! It's delightful to know that you're hurting because you're doing good things for yourself. Not like a sore butt from bouncing on the hardpack snow too hard while skiing! My immediate thought was "that's going to be colorful!" and my butt wishes "butt helmets" existed.

(on the other hand, I was doing something good for myself when it happened, so that's better than hurting from sitting on it too much like used to be the case!)

Kano ~ I think you and I see eye to eye a lot because we have the perspective of fitness and fatness as we've been to the bottom (I'm still near there... just crawling out). New to this middle aged ball and chain, but I know I can drop the dead weight and make tracks away and grow old in prime fitness, I just know it, even if I live at the top of the steepest hill on the West Side of the Valley, I can do this because I lived here before and did it!
    Your posts strike a very familar chord with me too.

This middle aged crap sure sneaks up on us, doesn't it? The worst part is that it really isn't new -- we just seem to sudeenly realize it's here!

I think I was your age when I decided I really HAD to do something, especially since my family history includes long lives -- I figured it would be better if it's as healthy as possible! Maybe that's a 45-thing, kind of like the 13-thing that happensn to kids? Something about that birthday, and looking at ourselves and saying, what the HEY have I done to myself! It was over a year before I actually started doing anything beyond half-hearted dieting. Then came riding, and now this past eight months or so is when I have actually tackled the weight issue properly. I think you've got a jump on me there!

The 20ish mile loop fro+m my house is probably the most popular riding loop inthe county, it's simply crawling with cyclists, everday. I was one of them before, and now I just drive past.
    That's okay! I still do more driving past than I should, and of course have plenty of excuses for that. I had a major hissy about the price of gas at the bottom of our hill yesterday -- 12 cents in one afternoon! I just know they didn't get fresh stuff, but marked up the stuff in their tanks. Work is only about three miles away this afternoon, and I'm going to be wearing my new bike shorts and shoes to work. If I can get by without the car this year, I'm going to make more effort to do that! (and eew, I'll have to be a sidewalk rider -- that particular road is NOT bike friendly!)

and ps. I *do* have pedals and shoes, everything but a working cyclometer, which I need to purchase, as my old one has stopped working.
    I've got two bikes with the flat pedals, and I'm going to get a couple more pair -- so I can use those too. I just can't stand riding those pedals anymore! It was so funny when I started out with DH one evening, and wanted to pull up on them and my feet just left, y'know? We took off, and I just hollered AARGH! He asked what the problem was, and I said, pedals! He hadn't noticed either how much you really DO start using the upstroke until I said that!

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Just another thought...what kind of gearing does your bike have? You said it is a touring bike, so I hope nice low gears?
    With out going out and actually counting the teeth, I'll say I'm set up for low gears... on all 4 of my bikes... tripple rings and plenty of cogs! Thanks
    Saving Myself ~ One Bike Ride At A Time

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    You might want to join Bike Journal (www.bikejournal.com) to keep track of your mileage. It's a motivator for me. You can be on the Team Estrogen team and contribute to our team mileage goal!

Hi Girls ! I thought I'd check in. So far, I'm on plan, have done one ride per week up until now. Yesterday I rode 6 (coasted downhill for 3 miles, rode up for 3) Today , the next day I will do 8. I'm parking down off the steepest 2 miles from my house, just to get a more reasonable start on my training regimen. Monday is the 31st and my goal for March is to ride 10 and I'm confident I can do this. So far, as little as I'm riding, I'm on plan. THa'ts how one goes from Frozenstiff, Frumpy FortySix ... 40 lbs overweight and depressed, to a 47 yr old Lean Mean Riding Machine.

THa'ts how one goes from Frozenstiff, Frumpy FortySix ... 40 lbs overweight and depressed, to a 47 yr old Lean Mean Riding Machine.
    That's a terrific quote. Go for it!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

At the beginning, consistency is more important than distance. Get yourself out that door and on the bike on a regular basis (MORE than once a week!!). Just get out and ride for 15-30 minutes if that's all the time you have t spare. If you feel like doing more, then by all means go for it. Once a week is not going to do it though, IMO.

congratulations on making this important life change.

I RODE TWELVE MILES ! I know this is a drop in the bucket compared to what I use to do, and what I will do again, but I have passed my first month's goal by 2miles and that is progress . Sore, but very, very Happy.

Tulip ~ I just wanted to take the first two or three weeks really no-threat, so I didn't burn out right away. But I'm psyched now, to go as often as I can. YAY !

Many drops turn the mill Keep those drops a-comin'!

Hi Jayjay, I haven't read the responses but I wanted to chime in with my own experience. I did increase by more than 10% on some weeks because I felt great. Take a look at my 2006 bikejournal if you want to see how I built up from being an absolute newbie to 100km in about 3 months (and that was on my mountain bike at the time.). Then I bought a road bike in July and rode even more! Now everyone is different so our miles may vary, and I was only 20 lbs overweight at the time so that could make a difference as well. BUT I was a complete couch potato who had done very little physical activity before I started.

Bikejournal for 2006

Good luck!
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    Hi Jayjay, I haven't read the responses but I wanted to chime in with my own experience. I did increase by more than 10% on some weeks because I felt great. Take a look at my 2006 bikejournal if you want to see how I built up from being an absolute newbie to 100km in about 3 months (and that was on my mountain bike at the time.). Then I bought a road bike in July and rode even more! Now everyone is different so our miles may vary, and I was only 20 lbs overweight at the time so that could make a difference as well. BUT I was a complete couch potato who had done very little physical activity before I started.Good luck!
    Thank you Kelownagirl ! It really helps to find women out there who are at a proud place from their personal ground zero. My ground zero may just be a little more... well... challenging... but still, I strongly believe I can "become what I once may have been" !

Jayjay, your attitude is great! So many people make excuses as to why they cannot get active instead of finding ways they can get active.

When I find myself making those excuses, I turn things around in my head, and then I'm usually out the door!

Hi JayJay - well done on the 12 miles! I am 42 and have taken up cycling due to my post-baby overweight body and bad bad health. I used to smoke, never exercised, suffered post partum thyroid dysfunction, hypertension and depression.

The pounds are coming off slowly, but the biggest effect of cycling so far is the effect on my mood. With every ride I feel lighter in spirit and more in control of my life. I am feeling calmer and more confident every day. Now I strap on my bike shoes, cram into my bike shorts and whip on my glasses and I am started to look as mean as all the others.
    Bushranger

Doin' it for Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    The pounds are coming off slowly, but the biggest effect of cycling so far is the effect on my mood. With every ride I feel lighter in spirit and more in control of my life. I am feeling calmer and more confident every day.
    I agree wholeheartedly that the MOOD enhancing affect of it all is the main reason to do it. There is just so much hormonal overdose in general in mid age that the cycling just is the best ballaste. I've been a hiker for a couple years solid now, most mornings I go out with the dog, but that doesn't push me as hard as riding up the hill for a good long huff~n~puff. I would like the weight to gradually come off, but most important is keeping my head on straight.... because I can't have one without the other.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Jayjay, your attitude is great! So many people make excuses as to why they cannot get active instead of finding ways they can get active.

When I find myself making those excuses, I turn things around in my head, and then I'm usually out the door!
    Thanks Tulip, it isn't easy. It could get a lot better , and it could also get a lot worse... it's all up to me to decide which way I want it to be in a few years down the road.

Thanks Tulip, it isn't easy. It could get a lot better , and it could also get a lot worse... it's all up to me to decide which way I want it to be in a few years down the road.
    And which way you want to go TODAY! Because today is really all we have, so let's make the most of it! And with that I'm getting off this *&&^$*(($#) computer. Good night!