Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    What is "M.I."?
    Master Instructor (or "Master Presenter" also). Some are great, some aren't so great. I'm curious to see who your presenter will be.
    The Journey is the Reward.

I'll throw in my $.02, but it's obviously a bit biased here (I'm an MI for Mad Dogg Athletics, although I am an independent contractor, not a paid employee). I've seen a lot of crazy stuff over the past 11 years of certifying instructors and presenting at conferences. I've also written some of the workshops when I realized there wasn't enough cycling related workshops (the roadie in me). My biggest pet peeve is when instructors don't Keep it Real, even if they don't ride a bike outside (that is, the aerobics on a bike stuff and the super-high crazy cadences that don't make sense).

That being said, you can have an instructor leave an orientation, believe in the program, promise herself (or himself) that she/he will stick to the program and then start teaching at a club where no one uses HR monitors, no one likes to sit in the saddle for endurance rides, the most popular instructors are drill sergeants and do tons of contraindicated moves (i.e. unsafe moves), everything is beat driven at high cadences.... So this poor instructor will start teaching the "other way" in order to be more popular and may even make up a few new moves. Sigh... I guess once they've gotten certified, you can't force everyone to follow the program.

As several have already pointed out, there are some good MIs, and some so-so ones. That's the case in any program. But I think we have some pretty good ones, and if you're in the southwest, the ones I know on this side of the country are pretty good, if not great.

As far as the program itself, it originated from road cycling and is based on sound physiological and training principles. We have always taught heart rate training, which is so very important. There have been some changes over the years, as new things were learned, as well as an effort to make it even more applicable to real outdoor riding. There was a mind-body connection in Spinning long before it became hip to do so (Johnny was deep into martial arts and brought that aspect into Spinning). You can't disconnect the mind from the body, so those who pooh-pooh it (even some of the other certifying agencies) are missing one of the greatest things you can do to improve your performance: utilize the mind-body connection.

My personal opinion, if I can take off my MI hat, is that Spinning was the original, it's the best, and you will not go wrong. But as in everything in life, it's not the end of your education. You must support the certification with CED, with conferences (there is truly no experience quite like WSSC, the World Spinning and Sports Conference, in Miami late May/early June), with reading HR training books, coaching books and articles, etc. Some Spinning CED is excellent, some of the workshops are a little stale as someone said. (PM me if you are thinking of attending one and want my honest opinion on the good ones). The fact remains, MDA and Spinning is an education company, and no one has the type of CED that they provide.

True, it was a bummer when Johnny G left, and I do miss his inspiration, but the program thrives without him and in some ways is even better.

I'm not representing Mad Dogg in this post, I am just telling you what I know from my own perspective! Hope it adds to what you already know...
    Jennifer Sage, CSCS
    Master Instructor, Team Spinning International
    Owner Viva Travels
    Custom guided and self-guided European bike tours
    www.vivatravels.com
    http://cyclingeurope.wordpress.com
    http://reachyourpeak.wordpress.com

What you do, what you say, what you are may help others in ways you never know. Your influence, like your shadow, extends to where you may never be.
    Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Funhog View Post

True, it was a bummer when Johnny G left, and I do miss his inspiration, but the program thrives without him and in some ways is even better.
    I beg to differ. Pardon the temporary hijack of the thread. There is absolutely no way on this earth that the spinning program is better without Johnny. Please.

She did say "in some ways" and is obviously expressing an opinion, something we are all entitled to whether you agree or disagree.
    Thank you
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I'm just glad to hear that this is a good certification. Now, I'm hoping there are enough people enrolled so that they'll hold the class. Do you think they'll tell me? ACSM doesn't look like it will go because there aren't enough people (two) for the workshop...
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    I'm just glad to hear that this is a good certification. Now, I'm hoping there are enough people enrolled so that they'll hold the class. Do you think they'll tell me? ACSM doesn't look like it will go because there aren't enough people (two) for the workshop...
    Dogmama MDA will definitely be able to tell you if there are enough participants enrolled for the certification. Matter of fact, I would highly recommend calling them a few weeks in advance to make sure it's still on. Good luck--I think you will enjoy the day.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    She did say "in some ways" and is obviously expressing an opinion, something we are all entitled to whether you agree or disagree.
    Thank you
    Yep you are right. I was out of line. Apologies, Funhog. My comment was a bit harsh. Please forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
    Yep you are right. I was out of line. Apologies, Funhog. My comment was a bit harsh. Please forgive.
    Absolutely, Zeek, no worries. I know how passionate some people are about Johnny, and don't get me wrong, I dig the guy and knew him and trained with him for many years. I thank him weekly for bringing Spinning to the world, because he was the brainchild behind this whole program that we all love. It's brought health and fitness and joy and high performance to millions. But the program wasn't only Johnny, and that's what I mean is it can survive and thrive without him. It has to, and that's the goal of the Master Instructors. None of us can be like Johnny - no one can ever be quite like Johnny!! But we can share our love for what we do and inspire others to share that with their students.

He was a pretty sick puppy when he left with some pretty serious heart issues. Thank God he's doing much much better (ANd he's got another great program on the horizon...).

I am working on my workshops for the Spinning conference in Miami in 2 months, and putting together my playlists (I even have a playlist on my iPod called "Potential WSSC 2008 songs" and was playing it tonight at dinner). Even this far ahead, in fact beginning months ago, I've been planning my music and cueing. It's kicka$$ at that conference, and so much fun and a whole lotta learning going on. If anyone here is an instructor, there is simply no better way to put your teaching into hyperdrive than going to WSSC!
    Jennifer Sage, CSCS
    Owner Viva Travels
    www.vivatravels.com

What you do, what you say, what you are may help others in ways you never know. Your influence, like your shadow, extends to where you may never be.
    Unknown

Hi Dogmama,

I'm a MDA Star 2 Trainer and have been teaching Spin classes at a local studio since 2004. I've also taken HeartZones instructor certification and a certification through NW Training (either reebok or Schwinn....can't remember). I think the MDA training was the best and basically teach the MDA format. Warning - you can spend a lot of hours developing Spin profiles!

Funhog - I would love to attend the Miami conference someday. I hope it is okay if I reach out to you occasionally.
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

I don't know which certification is better, it all depends on the the person which instructs the class. In my gym there are five instructors and only one knows what it's all about (she is an athlete and biker), the rest don't have a clue. I see so many spinning students on bikes doing everything wrong, but no instructor corrects them... my opinion... there is a lack of good edu for fitness instructor in every directions...it's to easy to get the certification.

Resi

Quote Originally Posted by Resi View Post
    In my gym there are five instructors and only one knows what it's all about (she is an athlete and biker), the rest don't have a clue. I see so many spinning students on bikes doing everything wrong, but no instructor corrects them... my opinion... there is a lack of good edu for fitness instructor in every directions...it's to easy to get the certification.

Resi
    This is unfortunately so true...too many instructors have no clue about good form or how to correct riders, or even anything about physiology. This is what I am personally on a crusade to change, through my own orientations and sessions at WSSC; and I know many other Master Instructors feel the same way, but I can't speak for each and every one of them in all the different programs.

But alas...there will always be those instructors who don't give a sh*@ and just teach what they want and not worry about safety and effectiveness of their classes.

I would add that there is not a lack of good education for fitness instructors... there is a LOT of great education out there. Lots of great conferences, continuing ed, workshops, home studies, etc. For Spinning, and indoor cycling, there are great Continuing Ed workshops and WSSC is an amazing way to learn and grow as an instructor and to be better at coaching, correcting students, creating profiles, understanding physiology and training principles, etc.

The problem Resi, is that far too many instructors think they don't NEED to learn more. They think they know it all. Or they think they can't afford it (I say they can't afford not to do it). Or they don't take the time to learn more. personally, I believe that if you take the step to get certified, and are teaching students to push themselves (maybe even to intensities that they shouldn't be doing) then you have an OBLIGATION to keep up to date, and to learn as much as possible.

I can't figure it out, because if I didn't constantly update my profiles, my cueing, and my own motivation through CED, or keep up to date with the latest training principles, I would go crazy. And I have been teaching this stuff to others for 11 years! I still need more for me. CANI - Constant and Never-ending Improvement. We all need it, no matter what you're teaching or what you're doing. EVERYONE needs to learn more, to improve.

If I had my druthers, I'd make it a requirement for IDC instructors to already have some sort of certification in fitness prior to getting certified. There are some who don't even know how to tell you what "aerobic" and "anaerobic" mean...

sigh...I'll get off my soapbox now!

Dogmama, do you know who your MI will be? What town is the orientation in?
    Jennifer Sage, CSCS
    Owner Viva Travels
    www.vivatravels.com

Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Hi Dogmama,

I'm a MDA Star 2 Trainer and have been teaching Spin classes at a local studio since 2004. I've also taken HeartZones instructor certification and a certification through NW Training (either reebok or Schwinn....can't remember). I think the MDA training was the best and basically teach the MDA format. Warning - you can spend a lot of hours developing Spin profiles!

Funhog - I would love to attend the Miami conference someday. I hope it is okay if I reach out to you occasionally.
    Anytime! What's your name? Don't know if I'd feel right calling you "Dog"! [BTW, I love your signature quote by Danny Kaye! What a great description of life!!]

I'm creating a Facebook profile where I plan to post a lot of my Spinning profiles and discussions on coaching, cueing and training. I'll let you know when I get that done... For now there is some basics up at: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=684623038 It has some photos of WSSC from the past few years as well.
    Jennifer Sage, CSCS
    Owner Viva Travels
    www.vivatravels.com

Unknown

This is unfortunately so true...too many instructors have no clue about good form or how to correct riders, or even anything about physiology. This is what I am personally on a crusade to change, through my own orientations and sessions at WSSC; and I know many other Master Instructors feel the same way, but I can't speak for each and every one of them in all the different programs.

But alas...there will always be those instructors who don't give a sh*@ and just teach what they want and not worry about safety and effectiveness of their classes.

I would add that there is not a lack of good education for fitness instructors... there is a LOT of great education out there. Lots of great conferences, continuing ed, workshops, home studies, etc. For Spinning, and indoor cycling, there are great Continuing Ed workshops and WSSC is an amazing way to learn and grow as an instructor and to be better at coaching, correcting students, creating profiles, understanding physiology and training principles, etc.

The problem Resi, is that far too many instructors think they don't NEED to learn more. They think they know it all. Or they think they can't afford it (I say they can't afford not to do it). Or they don't take the time to learn more. personally, I believe that if you take the step to get certified, and are teaching students to push themselves (maybe even to intensities that they shouldn't be doing) then you have an OBLIGATION to keep up to date, and to learn as much as possible.

I can't figure it out, because if I didn't constantly update my profiles, my cueing, and my own motivation through CED, or keep up to date with the latest training principles, I would go crazy. And I have been teaching this stuff to others for 11 years! I still need more for me. CANI - Constant and Never-ending Improvement. We all need it, no matter what you're teaching or what you're doing. EVERYONE needs to learn more, to improve.

If I had my druthers, I'd make it a requirement for IDC instructors to already have some sort of certification in fitness prior to getting certified. There are some who don't even know how to tell you what "aerobic" and "anaerobic" mean...

sigh...I'll get off my soapbox now!

You speack out of my heart, I am on a crusade too. Last week I had a big dispute with my friends which are instructors about this topic and now they don't talk to me anymore. Well I guess to bad... Exactly what you say, they think they know it all, well they don't. Anyway to make a difference, I decided to get me educated in personal trainer, spinning and Pilate's/reformer and what ever interests me... I come from a professional ballet career (now retired), I know how hard you have to work and to keep you updated. You said it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry my English is maybe not the best, hope you all understand.

Oh by the way, you organize biketrips in Europe? I am from Europe...

Thanks for the moral support.

You take care

Resi

P.S.: I will be in Colorado riding the tour de Colorado, maybe you are there too?

I don't know who my MI is. The workshop is May 3 in Tucson. I am just hoping that it isn't cancelled for lack of interest. My ACSM workshop was just cancelled for that reason...
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Resi View Post
    You speack out of my heart, I am on a crusade too. Last week I had a big dispute with my friends which are instructors about this topic and now they don't talk to me anymore. Well I guess to bad... Exactly what you say, they think they know it all, well they don't. Anyway to make a difference, I decided to get me educated in personal trainer, spinning and Pilate's/reformer and what ever interests me... I come from a professional ballet career (now retired), I know how hard you have to work and to keep you updated. You said it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry my English is maybe not the best, hope you all understand.

Oh by the way, you organize biketrips in Europe? I am from Europe...

Thanks for the moral support.

You take care

Resi

P.S.: I will be in Colorado riding the tour de Colorado, maybe you are there too?
    Your English is just fine!

Where in Europe are you from? I currently do tours in France and Italy, but have also done Switzerland and Denmark. I have lots of plans for adding more regions - Spain, Croatia, Prague, Austria, Ireland, etc.

Is it the Bicycle Tour of Colorado that you're doing? Or the Ride the Rockies? I can't usually take a whole week off for that, but i would love to. I might be in Europe for 3 weeks this summer doing R&D for tours. I love riding around here - it's pretty challenging. Hope you're doing lots of climbing!!

cheers!

Jennifer
    Jennifer Sage, CSCS
    Owner Viva Travels
    www.vivatravels.com

Unknown