Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ironman Question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I have been reading everyone's post for awhile now, but have never posted until now. I am planning on signing up for my first Ironman for the 2009 season. I would love some input on a good course/destination for my first attempt at the distance. I am a seasoned marathoner and I love the half iron distance, but I really want to do an Ironman. What if the race I really want to do sells out, then what? How fast do these races fill up and is there anyway to quarantee an entry into an event? If I were to volunteer at an event this year, will that help my chances of getting into that event for the 2009 season?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Have you looked at the Ironman Site?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I have viewed the site a number of times, but I'm not sure what coarse other than Florida would be good for a first timer. Florida, as I understand it, fills up extremely fast, so I wanted to know if someone would recommend another coarse to me. I also know that there are other ironman distance events here in the US that are not trademark Ironman events, example Vineman, i just don't know all of them and wanted to know if anyone would recommend any of these events to me? Also, how fast do these races fill up and would they be a good back up if I can't get into a trademark Ironman event or should I have another trademark Ironman event as backup? Would I not get the same experience at a non-trademark ironman event? I am looking for a friendly coarse for a first timer. I don't mind some hills, but I don't want to go out onto an extremely challenging coarse for the first time. I don't know if I will ever do a second ironman event so I want to make sure I get the right coarse for me the first time. I want to be challenged, but I also want to have fun.

I have also viewed the volunteer page on the Ironman website, but have not been able to find out if this will help me get into the event the following year. I was curious if anyone has done this before or knew anything about it? I like the idea of volunteering at an event so that I can see first hand what it is like to do an ironman before I attempt the distance myself.

Thanks
    Last edited by ALCR; 03-08-2008 at 03:07 AM. Reason: duplicated word

I've only ever done Ironman Canada so I can't comment much on the US races. On the Ironman website, you can pull up course maps with elevation profiles for the bike and run. Do this for each race you are considering and try to find the flatter ones. Florida is very flat, that's why it's a good 1st timer. I would expect that the newer IM additions would be easier to get in to but I'm not sure. As for the volunteering question, I have no idea.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I'm pm'ing you a contact who has competed at Kona a few times. If you manage to connect with him I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Hello and welcome.

Well, I really encourage you to go read the race reports on different Ironmans at www.beginnertriathlete.com.

That is how I picked out the IM for me.

Really, picking an IM is all about personal preference. Sure, people say Florida is a great first time IM... if you like flats with wind and swimming in the ocean (with the possible threat of jelly fish- yes, people have been stung). I hate riding flats and I hate wind. So no thanks. I also did my research and it fills up QUICK. I wanted an IM where I knew I wouldn't have to travel to the race site just to get a spot.

Sit down and write down each of the possible races you might want to go to, and then start writing down pros and cons.

For me, Ironman Kentucky was perfect. No ocean swim, it's warm (I hate it when it's below 80 degrees), hills on the bike, flat run. YES! Perfect for me.

I was looking at Ironman Arizona for April 2008 (which is now going to be in November from here on out)... but I didn't want the bulk of my training to be in the dead of winter. Not to mention in 2007 they had horrible wind. No thanks.

So what's good for one person, is not for another.

All of this information can't be gathered or obtained in one thread on a message board. Read the IM reports. Think about what matters to you and pick yours.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I'm definitely not ready for an IM, but this seems like really good advice for future.

I am about the same distance from a couple Danskin sprint tri race locations, and I had initially thought I'd do the NY Metro one b/c I had lived in NYC for so long.

But after some research I weighed flat vs hilly and ocean vs lake swim too.

I'm really glad that I chose Webster for the lake swim, though being out of shape and having a crappy ancient mountain bike with no gears, the NY Metro flat bike and run courses were very tempting! The hills on the Danskin Webser are killer--they say 80% of the women get off and walk at some point. I was so proud that I made it all the way.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    On the IM site you can overlay the different elevation profiles for each race and see how the compare. It really puts the different races into perspective. How DO you IMCD and IMLP or IMWI people do it????? Hmmmm.... for me it's no mystery why I chose AZ.

KHS said it all. It's such an individual decision on what's best for you. For my first iron distance race, I did one literally in my backyard (I can see the race start from my window now). It was close to home, pancake flat (although windy as all heck), and it came with tons of people I know cheering me on. For my next race, I chose an IM that held personal meaning for me. I'm from AZ and haven't been back on desert soil in almost 15 years. It'll be a homecoming for me of sorts. Plus, I'm a hill weenie (seeing as how we have none around here to train on), so any race with hills was out. I hate salt water (unless it includes me sunbathing on the beach), so an ocean swim was out. Canal water, OK. Fairly flat bike and run. OK. Wind? I live in OK, so that's definitely OK with me. AZ was a good choice for me.

Do you like hills? Are you comfortable in possibly colder temps? Do you dare tangle with jellyfish? When choosing a race, chose a place that you'll not only enjoy and do well on the course, but that you'll enjoy racing through and getting to see. For me, racing has a LOT to do with location. I choose places to race that let me see a bit of the country that I'll enjoy (a rule in our house is: every marathon must be in a different city so we can sightsee while being fed and watered on the course by strangers who are dedicated to making our day enjoyable). Enjoying my surroundings on race day makes the event much more memorable.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decide.

Wow, I'm sorry that was so long-winded.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

JmcG is offline pb&j today and everyday
    These are all good advice. My first (and only so far) IM was IM FL in 2007. It does fill up fast esp with the new way that they do it (where it's going to be really tough to sign up online I think). But there are many other non-IM sanctioned iron distance races. I've heard great things about the Great Floridian. Up here near us is the Chesapeake Man. But yes, it all depends on the courses you like, how far you want to travel, etc. I loved the IM FL course, and am hoping to get into Lake Placid for '09. I like flat but I also like hills. I did IM FL as my first one b/c I was doing it with a friend (we wanted to train together, compare notes on training, etc) and the one that fit both our schedules was Florida. And I loved it, but I think you can't really go wrong on any course (my opinion of course!).

Good luck. Let us know which one you decide on!

Thank you to everyone for giving me such good advice. I have considered IM AZ, but I think that it will be difficult to register this year since there will be participants registering for the 2009 race after both the April/Nov events. There may not be very many slots open after returning athletes register. Right now, I am leaning toward IM Louiville since I would prefer not swimming in the ocean, I am strong on the hills on the bike, but weak on the hills for the run, so the course sounds perfect. The only drawback for me is the time of year. I have two young children, so the bulk of my training will be before school starts. My husband is supportive of my quest to become an Ironman (IronMom), so we will find a way to work this out. I am also considering the Great Floridian (thanks JmcG), I really like the coarse and the time of year the race falls. It also looks like it will be easy to get into. Right now, my plan is to try and register for Louiville, but if I can not get into that race, I will register for the Great Floridian. Again, thank you so much for all your advice. It really has helped me make my decision.

hrmm

A wayyyy out there thought for you..

Why not travel down to Western Australia for the IMWA? It's FLAT & FAST!!!

It would be a great trip!

wayyy out there thought over

I just picked up Triathlete Magazine. I'm strongly considering starting to do tris and in a few years I dream of doing an Ironman. (A lot of a few years )

Anyway, it was packaged with a magazine called "The Road to Kona and Clearwater" and has a information on Kona qualifiers. It lists the date, costs, deadlines, slots for Kona and '07 results. It also goes into some detail about what the swim and if wetsuits are permitte, bike, and run are like as well as weather, nearby bike shops, best restaurants, and best local attractions.

Actually, the Australia one sounds pretty great. CrazyCanuck, maybe I'll be down there in 5+ years.

Good Luck finding the right one for you ALCR!

DH did IM FLorida in 2007. As usual, I volunteered at the race. The night before the race at the volunteer meeting, they announced that the volunteers would have a special line to sign up for next year. They made a few changes in the sign up process at this race and this was one of the new ideas. I recommend volunteering if you are going to be there anyway-it could pay off!
    Also, the swim in the gulf was great. I swam the course on one of the practice days and swimming is my weakest link.
    Last edited by mcoleman; 03-13-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    A wayyyy out there thought for you..

Why not travel down to Western Australia for the IMWA? It's FLAT & FAST!!!

It would be a great trip!

wayyy out there thought over
    So... you got a free room?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

umm

Well, errmm..if RM, Firenze & you come at the same time.. We could set up a tent in our back yard.

If one of you came down, yes..YOu'd still have to find accommodation in Busselton but that can be arranged

You'd have your cheer team too Portable cheer team here