Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

5.16 miles of fartlek for me today. Even though it's not been an ideal week for me training-wise, I added one more repeat, for a total of 6.

Does anyone know how temperature affects HR? I know I've read somewhere that your HR will go up on hot days to increase cooling. Mine didn't seem super-high today, though, even in the 83 degree heat (a good 10-15 degrees warmer than what it's been).

Today's theme on the beach: hot and windy. We've been under a tornado watch all day and I could see a little bit of lightning to the south, but actually the storm has mostly missed us. North of us a bit is getting rocked. There were still a surprising number of people out on the beach enjoying the warmth before the rain hit.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I ran into a trainer at the Y last night (he heads the tri group) and he said that running on a treadmill with the incline set at 2% better mimics running outside. I'm going to try that and see how it feels.
    I read to use a 1% incline for the same reason. I think 2% would be too hard -- like always running uphill! 1% is imperceptible to me.

Did 4.3 miles today on the treadmill.

Have a good weekend, all!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily & Grog...actually I was told about "running" at 3mph from my hairdresser who has been running for years, but she alway said she was a slow runner. I don't think it was a good suggestion for me to take and actually use. I will be on the treadmill tomorrow and go for a faster pace. I will just keep pushing it up until whatever feels good and comfortable.

To be honest I thought that was odd because I walk at 3.8-3.9 mph. I thought maybe slower would help not to go out of breath, I will admit, it sure felt weird.

Enjoy the weekend!!! It will not be a very good cycling outside weekend here on LI, so I am will enjoy my treadmill run/walk routine.

~ JoAnn
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Howdy Girls,
    Well after my run on Thursday, I spiked a fever and was pretty sick Thursday night. Fever broke yesterday morning. I stayed on the couch all day. No other symptoms, a stomach ache and a fever. Weird.

So last night I mentioned that I wanted to go to the pool today. DH said NO! He has been sitting on me since I have been injured. He is smart, I need sitting on !

So he left for practice this morning and I decided to go out for a walk. He never said I could not go for a walk, right?

It is ok to walk after you have been sick, right? Heck they let people walk post surgery, right? And if I happened to spontaneously break out into a light jog while on this recovery walk, I could not be held responsible, right?

So out I went between the hellacious rain we are having. Did a very light walk run, came home, did all my weights, icing and having tea now.

Feeling good.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    So he left for practice this morning and I decided to go out for a walk. He never said I could not go for a walk, right?

It is ok to walk after you have been sick, right? Heck they let people walk post surgery, right? And if I happened to spontaneously break out into a light jog while on this recovery walk, I could not be held responsible, right?

So out I went between the hellacious rain we are having. Did a very light walk run, came home, did all my weights, icing and having tea now.

Feeling good.
    Ooooooo boy!! You're a handful. I'm glad it worked out OK though. Get lots of good recovery sleep today.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I am a handful. When I go to the doc they have to give me a specific list of exactly what I can and cannot do.
    But being a handful keeps him on his toes, he can always tell when I am plotting to escape. He has to be quick to counter my justifications.

But alas after my huge burst of energy this morning, I am sleepy, so nap I must

YES! I just did a 2.5 hour trainer ride and then ran. It was my first brick of the season.

OMG... I ran a 9:30 MINUTE MILE! WOAH! I haven't run that fast... EVER!!!!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-n-NY View Post
    To be honest I thought that was odd because I walk at 3.8-3.9 mph. I thought maybe slower would help not to go out of breath, I will admit, it sure felt weird.

Enjoy the weekend!!! It will not be a very good cycling outside weekend here on LI, so I am will enjoy my treadmill run/walk routine.

~ JoAnn
    If you walk at 3.8-3.9, you can RUN at 4.5 probably. But do what feels best.

I know I walk at 4.6-5.0 on the treadmill. But the 5.0 is when I'm really working my speed walking form. Otherwise, I typically do 4.6-4.7 walking.

Running, I do 6.0-6.6. BUT I have been running for awhile.

Do what works for you! Don't underestimate your abilities though.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Wow KSH, looks like that brick was good for you!!!! Keep going!

Had a 6 km run with the Beginners' Group this morning, in the fog, on the trails. Quite pretty. And they're all doing really well!! It's nice to see people go further than they thought they could. (We did 5 min jog / 1 walk.)

My upper left foot has been gently hurting (like 2 or 3 out of 10 pain). I think I have aggravated my tendon a bit with a lot more speedwork than usual, including up hills, then kept going thinking it was my shoe that was causing me trouble. So I'll slack off the speed work and reduce running for the next few days. I want to be able to race next weekend.

well my legs were a bit tired on my MASSIVE 20 minutes longjog this morning.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Thank KSH. My you are a very fast walker - whew!!!!

Today my day for the treadmill. After the 5 minute warm up I ran 1 minute at 5mph. I had trouble finding a rhythm and was practiclly out of breath. I then walked 5 minutes, and my next run was better and went for 2 minutes. I did this 2 run; 5 walk until I hit 5 minutes. My last run I went for 3 minutes and I felt so much smoother. I think the 3 minute run might work well for my next workout with the 5 minute walks in between.

~ JoAnn
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Quote Originally Posted by KSH View Post
    OMG... I ran a 9:30 MINUTE MILE! WOAH! I haven't run that fast... EVER!!!!
    Congrats!!!! I would love to break under a 10:00 minute mile. I can run that, but no faster, so far. And I can't sustain 10:00 for an entire 3-5 mile run, though I have done as much as two miles at a time at that pace.

Good for you -- and after a long trainer ride, too! You IM you!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

12 miles yesterday Might I say ouch?! As slow as I think I'm going, it turns out I'm consistent when I average mph from my other long runs. I don't know why this one made me so sore though except for I did have a stress test the day before on a 16% incline I'm a wuss with the hills.

It's amazing how painful it is to go a "bit" faster than your comfort speed. I can run 10 minute miles for runs averaging 3 miles or so but when I try to do short bits of 9 minute miles, OUCH!!! It's fun but still, it makes me drool on myself

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-n-NY View Post
    Thank KSH. My you are a very fast walker - whew!!!!

Today my day for the treadmill. After the 5 minute warm up I ran 1 minute at 5mph. I had trouble finding a rhythm and was practiclly out of breath. I then walked 5 minutes, and my next run was better and went for 2 minutes. I did this 2 run; 5 walk until I hit 5 minutes. My last run I went for 3 minutes and I felt so much smoother. I think the 3 minute run might work well for my next workout with the 5 minute walks in between.

~ JoAnn
    GOOD JOB!!!!

Very soon you will be telling us, "I ran my first mile today"!

Yea, for my longer runs... over 5-6 miles... I do a 5 minute walk and 2 minute run combo. I will typically average around a 11:30 minute mile doing this. It really makes my long runs tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Congrats!!!! I would love to break under a 10:00 minute mile. I can run that, but no faster, so far. And I can't sustain 10:00 for an entire 3-5 mile run, though I have done as much as two miles at a time at that pace.

Good for you -- and after a long trainer ride, too! You IM you!

Emily
    HA! Well, I have only see that kind of pace on a treadmill before... and I did only run a mile. I just made my jello legs move as fast I could make them.

For any run over a minute, outside... I'm around a 11-11:30 minute mile. I'm such a turtle.

I'm sure you will see improvement on your pace with distance very soon.