Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 29'ers

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Nope, not at all. Though this tends to be a seasonal swap out. You wouldn't want to do it very often as it's time consuming.
    Question: If I were to swap forks on the same bike would I have to make sure that I had the same type of crown race so it would fit with the headset cups? Or would a generic crown race suffice.

I just completed my first bike build and I was thinking of chaining my fork out (and not buying a new headset just to use the crown race, I just wanted the part I needed for the fork)....but then I thought doing this sounded like too much work. I have a WTB headset and can't find just a crown race from the same company.
    Last edited by madisongrrl; 03-07-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Just keep pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    How difficult is it to change out forks? Would it require strong man hands?
    It's not difficult. But if you bought a new fork, you would have to have the steer tube cut and have the crown race/headset pressed. Once that is done you can change out the fork easily with simple allen tools.
    Last edited by madisongrrl; 03-07-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Just keep pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by madisongrrl View Post
    Question: If I were to swap forks on the same bike would I have to make sure that I had the same type of crown race so it would fit with the headset cups? Or would a generic crown race suffice.

I just completed my first bike build and I was thinking of chaining my fork out (and not buying a new headset, just trying to find the crown race)....but then I thought doing this sounded like too much work. I have a WTB headset and can't find just a crown race from the same company.
    I would say, yes you do need to get the same crown race but these days these are sometimes kind of generic.

Have you called WTB or tried their website? Cane Creeks website has all kinds of spare parts available for order though I think they're a bit unusual in that respect. If all else fails, your LBS should be able to get the part.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I would say, yes you do need to get the same crown race but these days these are sometimes kind of generic.

Have you called WTB or tried their website? Cane Creeks website has all kinds of spare parts available for order though I think they're a bit unusual in that respect. If all else fails, your LBS should be able to get the part.
    We have a pro deal with WTB, so I've already scoured their 2007 catalog. I have yet to place my order with them this year, so I'll have to check out their 2008 mechandise. I did see the Cane Creek parts and thought about giving that a try.

We definitely have some good bike shops around here, but I've been burned so many times that I tend not to rely on them for much. (I do let one shop change my internal brake cables on my Cervelo Soloist team as it looks like it takes special tools and a whole lot of time and patience to get the job done).

I will say that spent more money than I thought I would building this bike (even with pro deals), so I might just might put the fork situation on hold for now. The parts and tools added up, but it certainly was an education and I'll probably do another one later this year.
    Just keep pedaling.