Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow - another great shot. You look like you're ready to be done with photos, though!. The bridge just looks amazing in the dark. I liked how this ride started you at 6 - I love starting in the dark.

I'm really impressed with your pace and with how far you got. It must have just killed you not to go on being so close, but I am sure with your knee it was absolutely the right decision.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I'm actually not that bothered that I didn't finish. It was a huge jump in mileage and time in the saddle, so I'm happy with what I accomplished. And thrilled with my average speed up to Valley Ford. I think I've gotten stronger in spite of my shorter rides, or maybe because of them.

I'm no longer sure about starting DMD though. I'm going to see how the 200 K on Saturday goes. Davis has their 300K at the end of March and I'm going to give that a go. If my knee holds up okay on that, maybe DMD. But I've kind of resigned myself that this may not be my year. My mom and my older sister have knee issues that keep them from doing things. I don't want that to be my fate.

I learned that my Exte Ondo knickers don't wick as well as I would like for a long ride. Other than that I had no saddle issues, which surprised me. I think the longest I've been in the saddle since September was 5 hours or so.

Did my Yoga for Athletes this morning. That felt good! I've got conferences until 6 today and tomorrow - kind of ensures that I have a few recovery days.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

As usual, you have the most determination of anyone I know. Good job.

I don't understand. Why don't you go to a professional bike fitter? Someone who really specializes in it? The average family doc won't know anything and just assume it is overuse. Well, in this case, the bump in mileage didn't help, but you get these problems with low mileage too so. . . . . There are so many intricacies to cleat placement, pedal types, fit, etc. that I'd be off to one of them in a red-hot minute is I couldn't get the pain solved. What if it is just changing pedals?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    As usual, you have the most determination of anyone I know. Good job.

I don't understand. Why don't you go to a professional bike fitter?
    Thanks mom! I do love you Sarah! Actually that's what Thom said I should do and not even bother mentioning it to the doc. I've just been putting it off until our finances got a little more stable.

I'll see if I can an appointment during spring break.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Yeah, you know the nagging is only because I love you, too, and I'm a fellow knee-whiner.

Any prospects for Mr. Thom?

I must have jinxed your weather by even thinking it would be nice on Saturday . I have to learn to stop doing this since those weather gods are paying close attention.

Good job! And yes, do something about the knee - it's been almost six months already.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Any prospects for Mr. Thom?
    He's with the government and here to help. Sort of. IT consultant at the Federal Reserve. He started back in January. He likes it. The commute stinks, but otherwise it's good.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 03-03-2008 at 12:27 PM.

TandemHearts.com

Oh, that's right. I forgot about the guvmint job. Lot of stuff didn't sink in while I had my head buried in boxes.

Listen to Auntie Kim.

BTW, who're you going to use for the fitting?

One of our coaches describes our friend Rand who works at PK Racing as "even better" than Chris. Hard to believe. I thought Chris was amazing. If you want me to hook you up with Rand, I can do that as well. My suggestion is start with Chris.

Endurance PTC also does a great fit. They use lasers.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

OK...have been trying to avoid saying this, because I don't want to sound like a big doomsday wet blanket...

But, if you get an immediate fitting, and then it doesn't go away pretty doggone fast...maybe see a sports doc...one who is used to cyclists?

I only say it because about 20 years ago...I ran and I ran and I ran...and my knee hurt and hurt and hurt. I didn't go to the doc because I didn't want him to tell me to stop running.

Finally, I had to stop running, because I could no longer walk. My knee has never been the same, and I wonder what might have happened if I had quit immediately, and gotten some other help (orthotics? or rest before the injury got bad? or...I'll never know).

Maybe look into a doc that is experienced with cycling athletes?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Great job V! Too bad you couldn't finish the 300, but good job knowing your limits and good news that it doesn't seem to have hurt you. Thanks for the report!

I'm going to go to PK Racing for the fitting.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Cool. Maybe you'll see Robin Williams.

Thanks for the great report V. As usual your spirit and determination amaze me.

I agree with everyone else- bike fit first, sports doc 2nd especially since it seems to be a family thing.

You are definitely a shining star around here!
    Nancy