Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arizona Desert Classic

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone know anything about the 2008 Desert Classic?

http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=151066

There's a century, a metric, and a 30-miler. I'm wondering about the route, the amount of vehicular traffic, if it's a small or large event, and anything else anyone can tell me.

Thanks!

Alex

My hubby and I were considering doing this ride, here is what the guy sent us in an email.
    "The ride heads west and then north up to New River and then back down Cave Creek. Some general climbing but not strong like the McDowell Century in the Fall."

I wish he was a little more specific as I would like to know exactly which roads they will use. Some of the roads down there can be yucky. I would think they would use New River road which is pretty good. Maybe you can email them and get a better response. The guys name was Dennis. The one thing that concerns me is if it will be too hot or not. We are considering the "ride around the White Tanks." Have you heard of this one? We have only done 1 organized ride ever so all this is new to me.

Brenda

i just registered DH and I for the "desert classic," we did a little club ride a couple years ago that started at oggi's and it was disappointing - no sag, no intersection support, nobody was there when we finished. this must be different? anyway, we're doing it no matter.

i also did "around the tanks" last year and it was harder than i expected, the wind and the couple small climbs. i was alone as hubby was still recoup-ing from shoulder surgery, but it was actually a good ride, if only i'd had a riding partner!

i didnt see it scheduled for this year, when is it? if there's no conflicts we'll definitely do it, lemme know and we can maybe hook up?
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

oh, i just found it on GABA's site, March 30, i'm filling out the registration as we speak!
    laurie

So you're gonna do the tanks? What is the ride like? I wanna do the 70 miles but have no idea what to expect. I am not from here, so I only know the area I live in. Don't know if we will solo or tandem, any ideas? I will wait till the last possible day to register as I don't know if they would refund for injuries or work related scheduling problems. But we are putting it on the calender.

Brenda

Brenda,

I'll let you know what I hear back from the club. I sent an email a couple of days ago, so I should be hearing something soon.

If anyone wanted to meet for a TE ride instead, I'd be up for that! Mountain or road...

Alex

Around the tanks might work for me as an IM training ride. I'm going to look into it since it's so close.

Pink bike- seeing your post made me remember I need to pm you!

I'll let ya'll know if I decide to sign up.

Alex, are you gonna do the tanks ride? Sounds like there might be a few of us.

Brenda

More Info

I received an email from the man in charge. It will be a mix of urban roads/heavy traffic/some bike lanes and rural roads in the desert. There will be 3 aid stations on the metric. They will have Gatorade. They expect about 200 riders.

As for the around the tanks ride, tanks, but no tanks!

Alex

We are still considering the desert classic ride. We will know when it gets closer. Are you gonna do it Alex? Why don't you want to do the tanks ride? We are gonna do it, my hubby got the time off. Anyone else sign up for the tanks? I would love to meet some girl riders.

Brenda

oh yes, DH and I have already registered for Around the Tanks (and the desert classic)
    laurie

Moto,

I signed up for the metric Desert Classic. I don't have anything against the tanks ride, it's just that I won't be in town for that one.

Alex

You kinda had me scared a little there about the tanks ride. Like maybe you knew something I didn't. We just sent in our reg for the tanks and are still heavily considering the classic. I think we would do the metric also. Might be a little hot to do our first full century.

Pink bike, do you wanna try and hook up? You are coming with hubby this time, right? I will be with mine and we decided to ride our singles. We are gonna camp out off hwy 74 so we will be about 35 min from the staging area. We would like to get there early so we can beat the heat. Lemme know.

Brenda

yeh, lets hook up, and try to get running mommy to join us. denise, whatup?
    laurie

Looking forward to meeting a female rider, not many up here that I know of.
    Hope Denise can come, the more the merrier.
    Have you seen the forcast? Looks like it's suppose to cool down a little. YAY!

Brenda