Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question 9-Speed Older 105 vs. 10-Speed Newer 105

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK...I tried a search, and the function would not search for 105 (too short?). Apologies if this has been discussed to death. Feel free to weigh in here, or send me to another thread, if you know it exists!

Still doing some research on a possible new bike. Trying to weigh options and costs.

I had assumed I would like to move up to Ultegra or DA (or equivalents in other gruppos). But, in weighing costs, now I am wondering about staying with 105 (albeit the new 10-speed vs. my old 9-speed 105)?

Would like to hear from folks who have ridden both older 9-speed 105 and newer 10-speed 105. Differences? Would also like to hear from folks who have ridden both 10-speed 105 and compare it to current Ultegra, etc.

My current bike has the older 9-speed 105 (triple). I have not had the troubles some have reported (I don't get chain drop, don't need lots of adjusting, don't have missed shifts). Also, I don't race, but do want the new bike to be ready for what might come in a couple years...TTs? Tri's?

Thanks for your opinions (or directions to previous threads). Thanks!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Can't offer advice on the components, but a trick for searching a site when its seach won't play with your words (e.g., 105 or Seven here on TE), is to go to Google and search using the site extension For example, your query could be "105 Ultegra site:forums.teamestrogen.com". The other big search engines also support using "site:"

That is a wonderful tip, and one I would not have come up with on my own. Thank you! I will try it!

Opinions on the components still welcome!

ETA: OK, I did try the Google, and found some information from other sites (and one TE thread on 9-speed vs 10-speed in general), but didn't really find the info I was after, and would be curious to know how folks feel about my original question. Thanks, everyone.
    Last edited by Starfish; 03-01-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Starfish,
    I have the following:
    1) 27sp (triple/9sp) 105 on my cx bike
    2) 27sp Ultegra on my current (soon to be sold) road bike
    3) 20 sp (double/10sp) Ultegra ( & Ultegra SL cranks) on my new, as yet unfitted/road-tested roadie

I think you will notice the difference between 105 and Ultegra more in weight than in shifting quality. I find the rear shifting between my 9sp Ultegra and 9sp 105 to be pretty comparable. It's funny, given that everyone says that rear der. is more important than front, but I have noticed much more difference in shifting quality between my 105 triple and my Ultegra triple IN THE FRONT than in the rear. The Ultegra seems to be easier to tune properly and holds a tune indefinitely, whereas I've had much more difficulty with bad shifting on my 105 triple. This is not a shifting technique issue; it's not **just** dropping the chain shifting into the granny (I actually never use the 28t granny on my cx bike and am seriously considering switching to a compact crank for that reason), it's just harder to get into tune -- they'll adjust it, and it still hesitates and takes to forever to shift from big ring to middle ring, for instance, and once they've finally got it it seems to go out of tune faster. I don't have an equivalent problem with my Ultegra triple (which, adjusted properly, doesn't drop the chain shifting into the granny either).

However, I don't know if you can make a fair comparison between my two bikes. First off, both have Shimano front derailleurs, but neither has Shimano cranks (Sugino on the cx, FSA on the old roadbike), and my shop guys tell me the tolerances between non-proprietary cranks and Shimano der's are not perfectly calibrated, and probably differ between manufacturers. Furthermore, not sure what impact this could have, but I have an 11-23 rear cluster on the Ultegra bike and an 11/32 on the Bianchi (105 cx bike). This makes a significant difference in chain length/chain angle, which must affect shifting somehow...

I think you should think about this in terms of whether, if you buy 105, you will eventually want to upgrade. If you think you will be happy with 105 for as long as you have the bike, by all means get it and save some $$$. If you view it as a temporary compromise, and think that you'll eventually be upgrading piece by piece, you should seriously consider buying Ultegra or DA when you purchase the bike, because it will be cheaper.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 03-01-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    ...The Ultegra seems to be easier to tune properly and holds a tune indefinitely, whereas I've had much more difficulty with bad shifting on my 105 triple. This is not a shifting technique issue; it's not **just** dropping the chain shifting into the granny....it's just harder to get into tune -- they'll adjust it, and it still hesitates and takes to forever to shift from big ring to middle ring, for instance, and once they've finally got it it seems to go out of tune faster. I don't have an equivalent problem with my Ultegra triple (which, adjusted properly, doesn't drop the chain shifting into the granny either).
    Just one more person's experience on this- I have 105 triple 9speed and have not had any problems at all with it either holding a tuneup or dropping a chain or hesitating in shifting rings, etc. It's been good to me. That said, I am getting Ultegra on my new bike... just because I can.
    But....I'm still getting it 9 speed. I don't need no stinkin' 10 speed. ;-D
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 03-02-2008 at 09:14 AM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    My old Seven had a 9-spd 105 on the back and an Ultegra triple and front d. I switched out the 105 to an Ultegra - mainly to keep the components the same (and like Lisa, because I could). I can't honestly say I noted a difference in rear shifting quality. It tended to skip/hesitate in mid cluster if I were in an extreme (granny or outter) chain-ring...which my mechanic, after a throrough examination, attributed to "user error". A technique thing.
    I then re-built the bike with a 10-speed, going to DuraAce with an FSA SLK compact crankset. That crank had a tendency to throw the chain off the outter ring. I put an anti-chain suck thing on the downtube to keep the chain from dropping inside. My new Seven has the same set up, but I put an Ultegra SL compact crankset on it. Full DuraAce (I think the cassette and chain are not, however). That think shifts awesome. I love that new crankset. And I love the black ice finish on it.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Thanks for comments...and keep them coming! I am particularly curious about the 105 9-spd to 105 10-spd quality (as opposed to a 105 vs. Ultegra discussion), because I have heard some people say that the new 10-spd 105 is a lot improved over the old 105, and that it is less of a jump from the new 105 to Ultegra than it was before. Maybe I should stay with 105...but the new 105.

I could afford a new bike sooner. And, OK, yes I'm an idiot, but one of the bikes I really want to test is the very prettiest color in the version with 105. I've been riding an ugly color for a long time, and I want a pretty bike, dangit! Also, it is a lot less expensive, and I really started to wonder if I should consider it (where I had been assuming a higher price range for my next bike).

I know I need to go ride, ride, ride bikes. But, I am 3 hours away from a town that has lots of bike shops, and the sizes I think I need to test are not regularly stocked in many shops. So, I am calling all over, trying to see what they have on the floor that I could actually test (test for frame, but also try out various gruppos, etc.).

Finally, I am trying to stick to one or two brands, so that my LBS can order one for me. They can't afford to stock a lot of bikes, because of where we are, but they are awesome to me with service, and I want to support them if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    I think you should think about this in terms of whether, if you buy 105, you will eventually want to upgrade. If you think you will be happy with 105 for as long as you have the bike, by all means get it and save some $$$. If you view it as a temporary compromise, and think that you'll eventually be upgrading piece by piece, you should seriously consider buying Ultegra or DA when you purchase the bike, because it will be cheaper.
    Yes, I agree. And, this is what I am trying to determine. Having only experience with a several years old 9-spd set up, I am curious how folks feel about the new 10-spd 105, after they have had it for awhile?

Thanks for all the great info, ladies. Keep it coming if you have comments!

105s

Just speaking from experience. I ride with a 105 set-up, and have had the same one for 10 years. 105 Double and a 12/23 on the rear. Honestly I had the chain jump once off of the front der. just recently.

I am moving to a triple sometime in the near future, and I am considering sticking with the 105 group.

I haven't ridden anything with DuraAce or Ultegra, so I don't know the difference. I'm just happy with what I have experienced.

They are all very good groups. 105 is a great value for performance, but that said Ultegra is only around $200 more then 105 and the real sweet spot considering Dura-Ace is about $550 more then Ultegra.

With the higher end groups they are lighter and will shift a tad faster, and maybe smoother. I would say that a new 105 group would be on par with a 9 speed Ultegra maybe even DA group, as far as function. The new stuff is really nice.

Doubles are going to shift better then triples, simply by nature. You might look at a compact crank 50/34 with a 12/27 will give you a nice low end, without moving to a triple.

Also I would go 10 speed, while 9-speed components are still available, everything is now 10 speed, so it will be easier to get parts and upgrade in the future. I've got both 9 and 10 speed and wish everything was 10. Add in both Campy and Shimano and I have very few parts that I can swap between our 5 road bikes.

I have a 10 speed (campy) I honestly think all these extra gears are overkill.

I'd like to see a nice lightweight gear set with 3 gears in front and 5 in back.
    then they could make the chain bigger again.

but what do I know?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    My new custom bike is a 9 speed. 9 speed parts are not going to disappear any time soon....to many people like them! New parts for them can be found all over the place with the click of a button.
    Don't count out 9 speeds just yet!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^