Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Sensitive private parts

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have tried several Terry saddles over the past 4 years including the Butterfly, Damselfly, and one other (had dark pokadots on it but can't remember the style name), and I've had to go back to my ancient Liberator with the extra large cutout. I keep getting perineal blisters (ouch) on rides more than 25 miles (and I generally ride 35-50 on each weekend day plus at least one other time during the week. That style Liberator is now extinct. Any ideas on another saddle that might work? I'm relatively small (5'4" normal to narrow hipbone width, and also need a somewhat narrow horn to prevent thigh chaffing. My over 10 year old Liberator is falling apart. I've thought about the Terry Falcon but haven't heard anything about it. Any/all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,
    have you ever tried a saddle without a cutout? If you're getting **blisters** (ouch!!!), it sounds like something is causing excess friction. Personally I can't ride saddles with cutouts (I get something more like bruising than blisters, but bad enough), and I can be quite comfortable with a non-cutout saddle (currently riding a Fizik Arione with no saddle discomfort).

Just a thought...

I had good luck with a Fizik, and great luck with a Brooks. Neither has padding, neither has a cut out. Before that I rode Terry and Serfas Niva (cut outs).
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Terry and Serfas have never worked well for me (although I have not tried the Falcon X).

I have had pretty decent luck with a couple of Specialized saddles...the Jett, and a less expensive, softer mountain bike version. Both have pretty good perenium(sp?) relief areas...at least for me.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Were all of those saddles causing you pain and blisters?????

If so, I know this is not the question, but:

what about a professional bike fit?

if there is a massage therapist or PT that knows anything about structural alignment in your area, why not check if your pelvis is aligned properly?

Maybe you're not weight bearing evenly on the saddle (you would not necessarily notice) or you're not optimally fitted...

Have you measured your sitbones?

Even if a saddle is not GREAT, or even somewhat painful, I find blisters to be a bit much... I would look at other factors, not just the saddle...

Good luck. What an annoying problem to have!!

Lubes are a contentious subject around here, but I'm one of the ones that can't ride without lube, not even a few miles, or I'll have "road rash" where I really, really shouldn't. Are you using any chamois cream?

you need to get a bike fit. I agree with what everyone else is saying. There's no reason why your crotch should be getting so much friction that you are getting blisters! (how horrible!)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Yes, +1 for a thorough fitting, etc.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Peddlin' Girl View Post
    I have tried several Terry saddles over the past 4 years including the Butterfly, Damselfly, and one other (had dark pokadots on it but can't remember the style name), and I've had to go back to my ancient Liberator with the extra large cutout. I keep getting perineal blisters (ouch) on rides more than 25 miles (and I generally ride 35-50 on each weekend day plus at least one other time during the week. That style Liberator is now extinct. Any ideas on another saddle that might work? I'm relatively small (5'4" normal to narrow hipbone width, and also need a somewhat narrow horn to prevent thigh chaffing. My over 10 year old Liberator is falling apart. I've thought about the Terry Falcon but haven't heard anything about it. Any/all ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for all your responses. To answer them all, yes, I had a very good bike fit last year and we did make major adjustments. I'm riding a custom Seven frame also. I haven't tried a non-cutout saddle in years because of soreness in bony areas but I will try that. Also, I plan to call my bike fit person to see if we can do a little tweaking but I wanted to replace the saddle first so I could make sure the alignment was correct for that saddle. The Fizik sounds interesting, although the Brooks has always been a bit scarry to me. My husband had one years ago and it certainly didn't look comfortable but I never sat on it.

Have you looked at the Specialized Dolce saddle? Or their Lithia Gel? I was reading about both of them on some other thread here, and I took a look, both at the site, and in the store.

Not racy looking, by any means, but I have to admit, they both look pretty comfy. I can't remember the thread here, but one woman said she had been using the Dolce for years, and it was great for centuries.

Just a thought. There are so many saddles out there.

Hi Starfish,
    I haven't looked at the saddles you mentioned but I'm game for anything at this point. Are they women's specific or unisex?

thanks

There was a fairly recent thread about a Selle Anatomica that I thught I had bookmarked

This one isn't it but worth a look anyway
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=18801

[edit] HERE IT IS!
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...mour+Arrowhead
    Last edited by Zen; 03-02-2008 at 10:32 AM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Peddlin' Girl View Post
    Hi Starfish,
    I haven't looked at the saddles you mentioned but I'm game for anything at this point. Are they women's specific or unisex? thanks
    The two i mentioned are women's...check out the Specialized site. This link is for all their saddles (men & women)...just scroll down slowly, and you will see quite a variety of options, including the Dolce and Lithia.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...p?ssid=Saddles

I used to ride this one...including a couple centuries...and it wasn't bad...not perfect for me, but not bad. And, certainly affordable:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=34359

And, the one below is the one I have now...also ridden it a lot, including centuries...also not bad, but not perfect for me. Great in the pereneal area, but still a smidge too wide in the midsection. I need something just a bit more T-shaped, I think, but not sure. Also toying with going just one size narrower...maybe ordering the Lithia in the 143 this time, to see.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=36918
    Last edited by Starfish; 03-02-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Dear Zen Century,

thanks for the links. I had not heard of those saddles...I guess I've been afraid to move away from Terry...not that I've been successful with them.

Peddlin' Girl

Hey, Pedlin' Girl...I just got a Terry Falcon X, and I think I am going to like it. We'll see. So far, an hour on the trainer went well with it. The test will be some longer outdoor rides.

Compared to the Specialized Jett I had before, it is MUCH smoother all over, and easier to slide around on a bit for different positions. It is quite firm all around. So far, I like the cut out better on this one...seems like the edges of the cut out area are not so pronounced or ridge-like.

I still wish it was a little more T-shaped, but so far I think it might be a good saddle for me. Time will tell.

I got it for $50 at the Terry site. It was priced lower due to "possible irregularities." I suspect it might be one that someone else had returned. It does not have the new falcon graphic on it, so maybe last year's model. Seems fine to me.