Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sportbra rash

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Okay so I'm reading this at work earlier today while my students are taking a a test. I had to quickly click away from Irulan's post. Fortunately, it's girls sitting near my computer.

V.

oh sorry! Under normal circumstances, I woudn't consider that photo questionable but in a school setting I know you have to be super careful. Sorry, V!!

penny
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

No problem. It's really not that risque - no more so than a swimsuit. Besides I really shouldn't be surfing at work. Yeah, like that'll stop me.

I know most of my students have probably already been exposed to far more explicit things. I can't believe some of the movies that they are allowed to go to.

Mostly I was amused at my reaction. "Oops I've gone somewhere I shouldn't right now."

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 02-22-2005 at 07:39 PM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

This is the first time I've ever inadvertently added an extra o to your handle Jobob.
    Well, if you then replace the j with an n you'll get one of my nicknames from jr. high.

oh, the angst....

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

You guys are so reassuring! I thought I was the only one making furtive wet, slapping noises as I removed my sports bra in the women's bathroom at work! The zipped bra is a good idea - no more contortionist moves.

Initial impressions of the Hind bra

Okay, I did my workout with evil Coach Troy this morning, and wore my new Hind bra (link to photo and info above). Putting it on can be a pain as the criss-cross straps and not unattachable. This bra also has 3 hook and eye closures in the back (like a standard bra), so you can't put this bra on backwards, hook it, turn it around and stick your arms through like you can with your regular bra because of the straps. However, I didn't find this to be a major problem because I was able to hook the bra with the closures in the back after putting the bra on. (I feel like this is getting incredibly wordy, but i don't know how else to explain it all!)

The bra does encapsulate your breasts, which is a nice change from my Champion bra. It does push them together a little in the middle, but I don't mind some cleavage. The other thing I really liked about this bra is that it comes down further on the torso instead of having a tight band right under my breasts.

The fabric is very soft and the inner fabric has great wicking qualities. I was very comfortable in this bra. I will let you guys know how it washes up.

The only other negatives about this bra are: 1. it was not super supportive... I would definitely bounce some if I were running or doing aerobics in it. I haven't tried tightening down the back yet, though. 2. The straps are not adjustable. If you get the right fit, this probably won't be a problem, but it is nice to have adjustable straps.

All in all, I'm very happy so far. I'll wear it a few more times and give an update, if needed.

Any rash? Though a brand new garment may not be as soft as a washed one.

No rash so far. I'll wash it and see what happens. I'm also curious to see how fast it will dry.

TE, this is one you might want to look at.
    Hello Ladies, Susan from TE here. Let me start by saying that I'm a 36D and have tested a ZILLION sports bras both for personal use (cycling, running and triathlon) as well as for potential inclusion on the website. Most of the bras we currently carry are A/B/light-C support.

Irulan, I received a bra to test from the Bounce Free folks and we opted not to carry it. Here's an excerpt from the review I sent her: "Itís primary failure point is the type of fabric being used, particularly in the shoulder strap and back support. This fabric is far too stretchy. Cinch the front up as far as you like , but youíll still get too much give in the straps on the back. The result is stretch and bouncing of the breasts. A suggestion would be to either back the existing fabric with something with less give, or to change the fabric entirely to something less stretchy.....Because the bottom band is not very wide, and because its not adjustable, as one cinches up the double cup, the band tends to pull up and under the breasts. A snugger bottom band, with greater width (perhaps 1 Ĺ inches) would help keep the band down and flat against the rib cage, even while the cups are cinched up."

I also have a Hind Motion Sensor Bra that I tested for TE. As has been previously mentioned it is NOT supportive enough for a 36D to run in. Waaaay too bouncy. Too much strecth in the shoulder straps and they are not adjustable.

I have another Hind Bra on the way for testing that looks like it has some serios potential. I can post my thoughts after I've had some experience with it.

The Enell Bra (I wear a size 2) is TRULY bounce free. It's also a BIG bra. You put it on like a vest, and lift and tuck your breasts into place as you hook the clasps. Ten, count 'em, TEN clasps on the size 2, even more as you work your way up in size (biggest is a size 8). But if you've tried everything else without success, give this one a try. Useless for triathlon, however, if that's your goal, since you can not swim in it.

I can HIGHLY recommend a sports bra made by Road Runner Sports (exclusive to Road Runner and it's sister company, Activa Sports) called the RRS Sportek Bra. If I could carry it on TE I would, because I refer people to Activa all the time! It's a pullover T-Back Bra. Outer fabric is Supplex, while the bra is fully lined with a mesh fabric that varies in tension depending upon placement in the bra. The difference in tensioning at the cup area reduces the uniboob effect and helps to keep the breasts separated. This bra is made in both an A/B version and C/D version which has more coverage over the front of the breasts and over the back. I have three of these and wear them all the time. As a 36D, I wear a medium.

I have been on a so-far fruitless quest for a tri bra. While there are numerous good tri bras out there for the a,b,small-C set, there isn't an equivalent for those wishing more support. Most of the problem lies with the fact the that super-fast drying fabrics don't provide enough support. The really supportive fabrics don't dry fast enough for use in triathlon. In a tri bra I want fast-drying, very supportive and no underwires, zippers or clasps to rub or chafe. Pick any TWO and you can find something. Want all three and you're out of luck. For triathlon I currently use the RRS because its supportive and is a pullover with no "hardware". It is ALWAYS still wet when I finish, but so far I've never chafed from it so this is an acceptable compromise for me. Still searching for the Holy Grail.

We continually provide feedback to all the manufacturers we buy from and we are always testing new items. If you have any suggestions you'd like to make, send 'em in and we'll take a look. My personal email address is susan@teamestrogen.com

Best,

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Sadie, how did the bra work out? I have seen that one and thought about ordering it, its kinda expensive but if it works it will be well worth it.

I like that WAG also, similar to what we were thinking about making.

It was slinkedog on the search for a solution. She gave a preliminary report up above. Sounds like so far, so good.

SadieKate

It dried pretty fast, I guess. I put it out to dry at around 2:00 yesterday afternoon and it was still a little wet when I went to bed at 11:00. It's totally dry this morning.

I'm going to ride the trainer this afternoon while the kids are napping and I'll wear it. Then I'll give another rash report.

Two more wears and no rash

I wore it on Thursday for a very sweaty trainer session and again today on a road ride, and no rash in sight! It's a great bra for me for cycling. It was rather pricey ($50.00 at REI), but I'm willing to fork out a little for comfort's sake.
    Last edited by slinkedog; 02-26-2005 at 05:47 PM.

Thumbs up

Yeah!!!

Running rogue here......

I can see everyone here is really into sport bras, but to tell the truth, I still wear standard bras. I'm a D myself (32D), and wearing sport bras, I end up with me all bunched up, overheated and, dare I say it, sweaty. Best fits I get are the Wacoal and lately tried Linaire, which worked out pretty good. I have a fair space between my two breasts and these brands give me the separation I need to stay comfortable. Wacoal makes a style that is a plain knit underwire that is pretty good for the summer. I think it comes with underwire or not, although being a D, I ALWAYS get an underwire. The witchy part is that Wacoal is not inexpensive - they run $30-50, depending. Hold up really well, though, and last ages, no matter what. I spent YEARS never seeming to fit into a bra decently until I found Wacoal...I'm a big believer in getting the right clothes for the right sport, but when it comes to bras, it's GOTTA FIT RIGHT!

Wow I thought I was the only one who had big boobs! You know how it is you always notice on other people the things you wish you had.....and I've always been very envious of smaller busted women. Everything seems to fit them better and lets face it most of the sport clothing lines seem to be made for smaller women who have no boobs or so it seems to me.

halfbit said:

Best fits I get are the Wacoal and lately tried Linaire, which worked out pretty good. I have a fair space between my two breasts and these brands give me the separation I need to stay comfortable. Wacoal makes a style that is a plain knit underwire that is pretty good for the summer. I think it comes with underwire or not, although being a D, I ALWAYS get an underwire. The witchy part is that Wacoal is not inexpensive - they run $30-50, depending. Hold up really well, though, and last ages, no matter what. I spent YEARS never seeming to fit into a bra decently until I found Wacoal...I'm a big believer in getting the right clothes for the right sport, but when it comes to bras, it's GOTTA FIT RIGHT!
    Do you have a link to these makers? I would really be interested in finding where I could get them in my area they sound comfy.

One thing I have always heard and didn't see it mentioned in this thread (unless I missed it) is to never add fabric softener to your Lycra or sports bras in the wash and to always hang them to dry. It keeps them from wicking properly.

On the rash thing; being big breasted I occasionally get a rash which is a form of *gasp* jock itch and it gets real nasty real fast. I notice it starts with those itchy red bumps and usually after a long ride or work out at the gym. I always make sure I wear clean sport bras and am freshly showered before and after my workout/ride. Anyway for me the only thing that clears it up is to us a topical cream like Tenactin and it's recommended to use it for several days even after the rash has cleared up. It's such a pain! Anyone else have this problem?

Susan thanks for the information it's good to know TE is cutting edge of products and I'll be looking into some of those you mentioned.
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." ó Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895