Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Fort Davis, Texas??

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am putting this in Southwest and South Central since Texas is kind in between....

Anyone ever ridden in the Davis Mountains? DH and I wanted to get some altitude practice for the Enchanted Circle and this is the highest altitude in Texas, plus it just looks neat. I just don't know if riding out there is safe or feasible, there is one organized ride out there in September but that is after our trip. Anyone have feedback?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Yes, I did a ride once from Balhmorea State park http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...rks/balmorhea/
    where my daughter was doing her scuba certification to Fort Davis.

It was absolutely beautiful, but no stores and cell phones didn't work, so its best to stay together and carry lots of water.

A quaint desert like almost sureal landscape, beautiful scenary, a lot of climbing going out, and a lot of descending returning. I heard this ride characterized once as the most beautiful ride in texas. You can also do a detour to the mcdonald observatory, which adds even more challenging climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I am putting this in Southwest and South Central since Texas is kind in between....

Anyone ever ridden in the Davis Mountains? DH and I wanted to get some altitude practice for the Enchanted Circle and this is the highest altitude in Texas, plus it just looks neat. I just don't know if riding out there is safe or feasible, there is one organized ride out there in September but that is after our trip. Anyone have feedback?

Thanks for the feedback! I noticed on the city site they listed cycling prominently at the top and had a link to a local club but it is nice to hear from someone who went. It will be excellent training but I am scared out of my mind.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

My husband and I did it on our own, not an organized ride. The only safety issues were I didn't see a single car for the whole ride, so just carry your own supplies. I did feel the altitude, making it challenging but definitely doable and enjoyable. You could stay either in fort davis or Balmorehea. We stayed in one of the indoor lodgings at the Balmorehea state park we reserved through the website in the above link, mostly cuz our daughter's weekend event was centered there, and made day trips to fort davis. Lodgings were not fancy, but comfortable and adequate.