Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keen sandals

Keen Sandals

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I said that my REI dividend was burning a hole in MY pocket, too, especially with that 20% coupon as well, so I bought a pair. I ended up needing a 9.5 as the 9 was too small. I think they do run a little small. Sorry that it took me a month to post but I had to get the new sandals after trying out the size nine, then wait for the 9.5 to come and try them out before I felt like I was "qualified" to really talk about them.

After my Southern Tier problems last year with BAD foot burn, these have absolutely cured my problem. I have ridden with them on long and short rides and had no problem at all. I was a bit concerned that they would not be as good when "pulling up" while climbing hills but that turned out not to be the case. They feel plenty stiff enough for all the workouts I can dish them! I use Shimano A520 pedals (SPD cleats) so that I can use them for road and MTB. I really feel that these are going to be the answer for my foot burn. The first three or four times I used them (two times spinning) I had pain in one of my arches but that has not been an issue since those first few rides. They are comfortable from the first pedal stroke now. I really do highly recommend them and they will probably be the ONLY bike footwear that I take with me on my Underground Railroad ride, which starts in two weeks. I still have time to make the decision but feel sure they will work great for long distances. I have a century the second day! http://www.grahamcam.com/annesbicyclejournal

Several people had bad sunburn on their feet wearing sandals last year with Shimano sandals so I intend to wear socks with them all the time (prevents blisters, too, or just chafe) These sandals are comfortable to walk in, have recessed cleats so that you do not slip when walking, or hear a click from them. All in all, I highly recommend these "commuter sandals". I don't know why they designated them for commuting! Give 'em a try and post what you think here!

Thumbs up

I got a pair for my birthday this month and have had a chance to try them out on a 20 mile ride this week. They were very comfortable and caused no problems at all. I also wore socks with them to reduce the possibility of the straps rubbing the first ride out. They were felt so good that I think that the socks would not have been needed except to prevent sunburn.
    "It's not how old you are, it's how you are old."
    SandyLS TeamTE BIANCHISTA

There's a thread on the Randon (randonneuring) list discussing Keen cycling sandals

http://groups.google.com/group/rando...4f8d149?hl=en#

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Speaking of Keene sandals....if anyone has an old beat up pair of the kind with the elastic lace, no matter what size, that they don't want anymore, I'd pay shipping to get them. I really need only the elastic and the little clasp that holds it for my left shoe. My dog Lucy really likes that one little clasp for some reason, and has chewed it twice! I've managed to put it back together but the elastic is really short and makes the shoe kind of uncomfortable, and I don't know how long the clasp is going to last.

I tried calling Keene and they don't send out parts. :P

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    Speaking of Keene sandals....if anyone has an old beat up pair of the kind with the elastic lace, no matter what size, that they don't want anymore, I'd pay shipping to get them. I really need only the elastic and the little clasp that holds it for my left shoe. My dog Lucy really likes that one little clasp for some reason, and has chewed it twice! I've managed to put it back together but the elastic is really short and makes the shoe kind of uncomfortable, and I don't know how long the clasp is going to last.

I tried calling Keene and they don't send out parts. :P

Karen
    Have you checked to see if you can find generic elastic laces? Or buy some elastic and make your own??

ETA: http://www.locklaces.com/ordering.html

Tuckervill-

If these are the bungee style, Keen will send you replacements.

Go to: http://www.keenfootwear.com/faqs.aspx

Look for "does keen sell replacement laces" and then click on the link to request replacement bungee style laces.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Wow, how'd you get that to work???

I looked all over their site for that and the "click here" never worked...but it worked this time!

It's been so long since I did it that I didn't remember it until you posted. THANKS to you--my laces are on their way!

Karen

I just ordered a new pair of Keens in a really nice blue. Since I have to wear the guys sizes it's nice to find an almost pretty color for a change!

Thumbs up Keen Commuter Sandals

I am now into my third week on the Underground Railroad Route and if anyone thinks that these sandals cannot be used for long distance, I can now say that these are the best things I have ever put on my feet! I have worn them on two consecutive 90 mile days, on steep hills, in heat, in torrential rain, and worn them every day. They are wonderful. Yes, the are not as stiff as road shoes but for long distance comfort, ability to walk around if there are tourist sites on the route, and just all around great cycling sandals, these are the ones! About 8 people on our trip of 29 women have them and all are delighted with them. I can highly recommend them to anyone who is interested in sandals with cleats. I have SPD's, by the way. Don't know if they work with other types.

Awesome!

Glad you're having a good time and the Keens are a hit.

BTW, I assume the Keens will work with any cleat that's compatible with an SPD-type sole mounting. I use Eggbeaters with mine.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

A gal in our office (Sandy) rode 357 miles in 24 hours wearing her Keen sandals at the 24 hours of Davis last month. She loved them.

A very good friend of mine wore hers on a 400km fleche a few weeks ago and was similarly enamoured.

Sandy jokes that all bets are off after 358 miles, though.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Oh no. I have been really wanting a pair of these even though I don't really need them. But I'm trying to be thrifty and practical since I'm saving for the long list of renovations that my condo needs. Now after reading this thread it's going to be that much harder not to buy these sandals.

I'm going to take a long look at my hideous not-renovated-since-the-'70s bathroom now in the hopes it will give me strength not to rush out to REI and buy a pair.

Thumbs up Keen Commuter

I bought a pair of these today from Traci (Bike4Ever formerly Bikemom) at Alpine Shop in Kirkwood. Everyone there is always so great and helpful! I had tried on the women's previously and they were too narrow for me, but the men's fit like a glove. I usually wear 8.5 - 9, and the 7.5 mens were perfect. I rode about 10 miles on them today and they were mah-ve-lous! Very comfortable! Perfect summer cycling shoe.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I am in the process of breaking in my new Keen Commuter Sandals.

Perhaps "breaking in" is the wrong term, because they are really so comfortable, no break-in period is required.

It did take me a couple of rides to dial in the cleat position. I use candy's on my road bike. After a couple rides where I either could not unclip (very scary) or spending 50+ miles with my feet precariously unclipped on top of my pedals, my DH put a shim in, and they are perfect ever since.

These sandals are lined with a very soft, comfortable fabric so there is absolutely no rubbing of any kind. There is no need to wear socks. I feel one of the best aspects of sandals is the ability to go without socks. One less item to launder.

Having my feet open to the air is such a refreshing feeling. They are easy to walk in and I think they look pretty nice too. Pedicure optional

As far as sizing, I normally wear 8 1/2, so I sized up to a 9(only full sizes on TE). An 8 1/2 would have been perfect, the 9's feel just hair too big. Occasionally when I twist my foot to unclip, the foot moves, but the sandal doesn't, because they don't fit really tight. I can correct this by pushing down while unclipping and get all the traction I need. And I can add a thick sock when the weather gets colder, so that's a bonus.

I'm going to take only these sandals on an upcoming week long bike tour. I can wear them off the bike and even in the public showers, (they are waterproof) so they versatility is outstanding.

I was somewhat skeptical about spending this much on bike sandals, but now that I have them, I am very happy with them.

Colleen

Thanks for the comments about the sandals being a bit narrow. I currently have....heck, can't remember what they're called, and I'm at work.... While I love wearing sandals with clips in the summer, I have wide feet compounded by bunions. My middle toes on the left foot go numb every time I ride with my sandals, which is a drag.

I'm planning to ask for the Keens for my birthday--I think I'll just ask for a gift certificate, and try the mens', as well as the womens'.

TE comes through again!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock