Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Flat Pedals for Camp

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm about to register for a 2-day mountain bike skills camp. I'm supposed to bring flat pedals to use during part of the camp. I don't plan to use them other than at camp. (I love my SPDs and have no problems clipping in and out.)

Any ideas on where I can buy some inexpensive flat pedals? Or recommendations on what kind to look for on eBay?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'm about to register for a 2-day mountain bike skills camp. I'm supposed to bring flat pedals to use during part of the camp. I don't plan to use them other than at camp. (I love my SPDs and have no problems clipping in and out.)

Any ideas on where I can buy some inexpensive flat pedals? Or recommendations on what kind to look for on eBay?

Alex
    don't you have a bike shop near you that sells second hand and cast offs?
    You might call your LBS and ask if they have a box of old bike pedals.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Are you doing the Sugoi Dirt Series? I did that last year and just borrowed pedals from the camp. They had CranK Bros. 50/50 pedals, I think, but I was surprised how much I liked using flat pedals when learning new skills. Some girls did insist on using their own clipless pedals so if you insist they will let you. Have fun at camp, I had a blast and learned tons.
    Jones

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    don't you have a bike shop near you that sells second hand and cast offs?
    You might call your LBS and ask if they have a box of old bike pedals.
    That's how I got my second hand set of BMX platform pedals. Maybe give it a whirl?

I think I got my flat pedals from Nashbar one year for winter. They were hanging out in my truck last summer when I forgot my bike shoes when driving to a 3-hour ride, Fisher Creek in Sun Valley, Idaho. A friend had a wrench, and of course I had tennies in my truck, too. Good timing! I probably missed some efficiency on the upstroke, but it was pretty back-to-8-years-old on the singletrack.

I think they were just $20 or $30.

Have fun!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Life's an adventure! http://www.lovenewsjh.blogspot.com

I have Crank Bro 50/50 on my Surly Cross Check. Got them on sale at REI for about $50, and am very happy with them. If the camp provides them, I think you'd be fine. (l like BMX pedals. My Waterford has Speedplay Frogs, but the other bikes have BMX pedals.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks, everyone, for all the great suggestions!

Yes, Jones, it's the Dirt Series. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your camp!

Alex