Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chilly Hilly Potty Parity ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Today was the cascade bike club's Chilly Hilly ride; the official start to bicycling season here in the Seattle Area.
    Chilly hilly starts on a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. Your entry fee includes the ferry fare, which is nice...
    It is incredible to see how many people show up for this ride!
    There were thousands of bikes. They had 3 lines, Fast, Medium and Slow. Raleighdon pushed us into the fast lane. We stood there for about 5 minutes surrounded by giants on race bikes bragging about how fast they were and I guess dear old D realized how uncomfortable I was. So we went into the medium lanes; (we're still just waiting for the ferry) there were 4 portapottys there, so I naturally got into the line and used one.

We got onto the ferry; it was, again, a sea of bikes. Bikes on the walls, bikes on the floors, new bikes, old bikes, red bikes, blue bikes, Raleighs, Tommasini's, Davidsons, you name it. plenty of MTB's were there too.

I had to go to the bathroom again, but there was a holdup. There was a huge line it wrapped around 1 side of the ferry; and it clogged the aisle. Then it hit me!! the line was MEN!

I hurried past the men and got to the lady's room. NO LINE!
    There was NO line at the lady's room and a killer line for the men's.
    All the ladies inside were giggling and smiling with this unusual turn of events.

This is really a challenging ride for a lot of reasons. There are a lot of bikes, a lot of beginners, and a lot of hills, both UP and DOWN. So you're going up the hill and people are going all sorts of speeds and all sorts of directions. People are stopping and falling because they don't know how to unclip, or they have their chains crossed and can't shift right. Then you get to the top and the new danger are the big boys who are blasting through at high speed, passing on the right and left.
    We passed the first potty stop because I wanted to get out of the thick of it. After that it was a little less crowded.
    We went up several challenging hills, two which averaged 9-10% grade, long and grueling. Many people walked up those hills. Finally a potty stop, complete with food and vendors selling their new products. The bathrooms were up the hill on the other side of the park, and we headed there first, because there was QUITE a line. As I got closer, I thought, that's weird is the lady's room closed? NOT CLOSED, there was just NO LINE!!
    I got in there and had it to myself. Another jubilant lady followed me. Gosh, it was amazing I got in and out long before DH got in. HAHA.
    Back on the bikes, finally warmish, at about mile 20. We then went up a hill that was more like a wall. 16% grade at its worse, mostly 14% oh, my legs were starting to hurt.
    but I got up the silly thing. And the next, and the next.
    The hills never stopped, and there's always a hill right before a ferry terminal.
    On the ferry coming back I was really getting into the fact that 80 or 90% of the riders were men. We sat down in a booth with 6 buff looking young men complaining about their leg cramps and general out of shaped-ness. They shared popcorn with me.
    We rode the last half mile to our car once off the ferry and piled in and went home

35 miles, 2440 feet of climb
    Last edited by mimitabby; 02-24-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

alas there are no photos, as RD forgot the memory card for the digital camera.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Wow Mimi T you're a true studette!!!

I've heard stories about all the early season problems on that ride. At least it was dry today. Isn't this ride usually rained on as well?

Now I have a REAL reason to check this ride out: NO BATHROOM LINES.

I'm still trying to visualize how you maneuvered around the "domino riders".
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

I had to deal with domino riders on the Danskin. I solved the problem by just getting off my bike entirely and *running* past them. (it was in that nasty narrow sidewalk-y bit up to I-90)

I can't imagine dealing with the same thing with a gazillion riders on the Chilly Hilly!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Yeah, I can't either, but glad to get the tip, Knot.

Congrats, Mimi.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Dh and I were at the Chilly Hilly too. Where were you that you found a woman's rest room with no line? I spent at least 20 minutes in line for a porta potty at that first rest stop with the bake sale going on. The line for the chili at the end was so long (and not moving) that DH and I rode back to the car (we drove over from Kingston) and ate at Mcdonalds.

I'm impressed that your dh felt you could handle the fast group. We missed that whole "seeding" thing by driving, but I would have probably put myself in with the slow group (because of the hills). We did average almost 11 mph, but that was only because Dh threatened me with the shortcut if I couldn't manage 10 mph...

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    There were thousands of bikes...

We got onto the ferry; it was, again, a sea of bikes. Bikes on the walls, bikes on the floors, new bikes, old bikes, red bikes, blue bikes, Raleighs, Tommasini's, Davidsons, you name it.
    Any Huffy's?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

not sure if there were any Huffy's. DH saw a Magna (a walmart special)

Laurel were you on the first boat? perhaps we were far enough ahead... we PASSED the first potty stop
    because we knew it would be overcrowded and slow. the second stop was in a park with real bathrooms.

RD did not think i could "handle" the fast group, he just wanted to get onto the ferry first!!!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Mimi- We came over last night and started about 9:00am. Probably after you were well already underway.

Zen-I didn't see any huffys or even a magna, but there were a lot of high dollar bikes there. Sexy little Italian ones. I played "leapfrog" most of the way with a couple of speedy under-10-year-olds on Treks and Specializeds. The whole ride was a peek into how the "other half" lives...

oh, and i saw the most amazing colnago. IT had a mural on it, and he had a blue and yellow? saddle.

and I got passed by an ORANGE MONDONICO!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Thanks for the ride report. I had to giggle when I read your post as I was thinking the exact same thing as we rode over on the ferry this morning and the men's restroom line was endless...hee hee

DH haven't done this ride in about 4 years and I had forgotten what a nice ride it is. We did it this year with a friend new to cycling who is training to do STP with us this year in one day. He did GREAT!!!!

Do you think the Dan Henry's would show the way well enough for someone to do this ride solo in the next couple weeks...without having a route sheet?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Loved your recap and the tale of the potties Mimi. Glad you had a good chilly hilly too!

Oh yes Starfish the Dan Henrys will be there for quite sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Do you think the Dan Henry's would show the way well enough for someone to do this ride solo in the next couple weeks...without having a route sheet?
    Undoubtedly the Dan Henrys will last for a while, but you can get the cue sheet and map too if you would like it, free of charge as a PDF from Cascade's web site, just go to this page
    http://www.cascade.org/EandR/chilly/CH_details.cfm
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Eden, Susan, thanks. This is one of those rides I have always wanted to do, but have not wanted to brave the crowds. Sounds like a route that will help with Climbing Club numbers!

Did the roads strike you as pretty sandy, still, or not bad?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury