Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

back to the cars thread

To disable ads, please log-in.

are there really no vehicles out there that carry bikes nicely AND get better than 25 mpg???? (that's pathetic!)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    There was a review of the Honda Fit in Car & Driver recently. Photogs were in or around a velodrome (!) I think, and one of the pix showed a road bike, front wheel removed, tucked neatly in the back of that tiny little car. For a little car, reviews have indicated it has a surprising amount of storage. I sat in one at the D.C. Car Show last month. It's a very cool little car, and gets great gas mileage.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I love my Mini Cooper S - two bike racks on top (fork mount) and the minimum MPG we get with short distance city driving & bikes on top is 25. They recently released the Clubman which is a touch longer - and if it weren't for the mullet paint job I'd be all over that!

yeah, that clubman is cute, but $25,000 for a LITTLE car???
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

I have a hyundai accent that fits one bike with the car's back seats folded down. I also have a rack for it that holds two bikes.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokomis View Post
    I love my Mini Cooper S - two bike racks on top (fork mount) and the minimum MPG we get with short distance city driving & bikes on top is 25. They recently released the Clubman which is a touch longer - and if it weren't for the mullet paint job I'd be all over that!
    We also spent a fair bit of time with the Minis at the DC Car show.
    DH joneses for a Cooper S in the worst way.
    The Clubman looks really cool.
    What makes its paint job a "mullet"??
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I don't know, i thought the paint was nice. on that Clubman

I probably will NOT buy a new car. The Honda Fit seems nice, but it's rather new.

I just remember how thrilling it was to ROLL our bikes into the Honda ELement we test drove last fall, but the gas mileage is TERRIBLE.

Confession: Raleighdon has a custom bike which is really obnoxious to take the front wheel off of.
    Bike racks seriously change gas mileage.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

My Honda Civic Coupe gets 30-35mpg and can take a bike in the trunk and as many as will fit on whatever rack's installed. And it was cheap
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

My wrecked car is a 1991 honda civic. I love honda civics. But you can't roll a bike into a honda Civic.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    We also spent a fair bit of time with the Minis at the DC Car show.
    DH joneses for a Cooper S in the worst way.
    The Clubman looks really cool.
    What makes its paint job a "mullet"??
    I don't know how the paint was in the car show - but when you order, you have to get a contrasting roof - and the contrast color extends down the back pillars. The online description even details this as 'Business in the front, party in the back' which I believe is the definition of Mullet

I'm sure there are other options out there - but I love my Mini & can't imagine driving anything else.

I've seen that paint job before and mullet is an apt description.
    Who thinks this stuff up? The same guy who designed the Pontiac Aztec
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

The Honda website shows the Fit with a bike in the back seat with the wheel on (a mountain bike). But that had to be a KID'S bike. My bike would not fit across there, I am certain. I sat in one again last week while I was waiting for my oil change in the E. It's a tiny car and my husband would not fit in the passenger seat.

A roadie friend of mine rolls his bike into the back seat of his Accord, without taking the wheel off. I wouldn't want grease on my seats, though. (I didn't notice any on his, btw.) Accords don't get GREAT gas mileage, though, just so-so.

I am having pump shock every time I fill up my Element, since my diesel Beetle got 40 mpg easy. But I couldn't get a bike in it, in any way.

I'm buying back my son's '96 Civic 4-door 5-speed for my 14 yo to drive eventually. You can bet I'll be driving that 38 mpg puppy around when I don't have any big loads to haul! Maybe a bike will roll in the back seat like the Accord?

Karen

I'm guessing you don't want a mini-van? I get not bad mileage and can carry all the bikes I want when the back seat is out.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

OH! Now it's showing the Fit with a full size bike and the wheel off! Somebody caught them!

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/interior-photos.aspx

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    My wrecked car is a 1991 honda civic. I love honda civics. But you can't roll a bike into a honda Civic.
    My not-mom van (Toyota Sienna) will roll two tandems inside, and currently has a lifetime average (it's one year old) of 24.5 mph. I typically get 27-28 on it in the summer months.

I have to say, this is the BEST bike car I have ever had!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com