Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

IFJane - How do you get 28-30 on your Element???

Mine has *never* seen more than 21. I still love it (and the ability to fit the bikes in is great... but the gas mileage sucks! Mine's a 2005 5 speed.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    what about that ugly SCION? Anyone have one of those?

(I'll check out the passat, thanks)
    My son just bought a brand new Scion Xb, yesterday. They have changed the body style and now it looks more like a PT Cruiser. I find it more attractive. I'd bet it's not as roomy as it was when it was a toaster. When I get to see inside it, I'll evaluate it for bikiness.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    Starfish - How tall are you? I like the Element but I'm wondering if, at 5'10", I can fit into one for sleeping.
    A twin size Coleman air mattress will fit in the back, if you push the seats all the way up. My 5'6" son and I sleep in the back of our Element together, but not with the air mattress, because it causes lumps in the wrong places.

Speaking of air mattresses--I saw some in the outdoor store that are designed for pick-up beds. I haven't found one for the Element, yet, but if I do I'll be buying one!

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Tru...r_mattress.htm

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I'm 5'6". You might try asking over at http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/index.php .There are a lot of guys on that forum who love to sleep in their Elements, and I have to believe that some of them are at least 5'10".
    Thanks, I'll check out the link.

Electra Townie 7D

I'm reading this thread with interest, as DH & I both have big, honkin' long wheel base recumbents. Wheels on, think 6 feet or more long.

So far, the easiest way to transport the bikes is by simply riding them places, but time becomes a factor - like for out of state rides.

I'm sure a solution will come to me eventually...
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    I'm reading this thread with interest, as DH & I both have big, honkin' long wheel base recumbents. Wheels on, think 6 feet or more long.

So far, the easiest way to transport the bikes is by simply riding them places, but time becomes a factor - like for out of state rides.

I'm sure a solution will come to me eventually...
    Hmmmmmm.
    Don't think the Honda Fit will work for you!

How 'bout a long-bed pickup with a cap? Won't get 25 mpg, but you could opt for a diesel.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    I'm guessing you don't want a mini-van? I get not bad mileage and can carry all the bikes I want when the back seat is out.
    I was thinking along the same lines. I have an '06 Caravan short-wheel-base. It gets ~23-24mpg avg city, and I can stuff 3 bikes inside (without touching) and 3 on the roof. Drives like a sports car and hauls like a truck.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    IFJane - How do you get 28-30 on your Element???

Mine has *never* seen more than 21. I still love it (and the ability to fit the bikes in is great... but the gas mileage sucks! Mine's a 2005 5 speed.

CA
    CA -- I noticed we got MUCH better gas mileage in my Element down in Florida (vacationing), because it's flat. I couldn't believe it. Instead of ~300 miles on a tank of gas, we were getting like 350 to 375. So terrain can make a difference. I have the '04 automatic.

I think even here in NC I get more like 23-25 mph, tho, so I am surprised you get even lower in a manual. Most of my driving is on the highway to and from work, tho, so that helps. Not much stop-start driving. Do you have a roof rack? That will hurt you. We have one, but only install it when we need to haul kayaks. Most of the time, greenie's sleek on top.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    My not-mom van (Toyota Sienna) will roll two tandems inside, and currently has a lifetime average (it's one year old) of 24.5 mph. I typically get 27-28 on it in the summer months.

I have to say, this is the BEST bike car I have ever had!

SheFly
    Ditto! My tri-bike van (toyota sienna) will roll 3 bikes in and carry 3 people with tri gear. All inside and comfy, no wheels removed. this is with three of the van seats removed. Pretty much standard operating procedure for my van. What it lacks in style it makes up for in practical. Now if it just had 4 wheel drive. I've never tracked the mileage on it. Mr. guesses 20 to 25 mpg.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

I am eagerly awaiting the US arrival of the Subaru diesel.

That's about the only thing I'd be willing to trade in my Impreza for. I have a picture of the diesel engine hanging at my desk at work. (right next to the pics of two of my bikes)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

i hear what you guys are saying about your assorted vehicles, and then i check the ratings. The average for the Toyota Sienna, for example, is 19mpg. I live in a city.

We already have a pickup truck that can hold the bikes... and gets crummy mileage.
    You just made an excellent argument for me against recumbents!! they're too long to fit into a car.

And Emily, it's not flat HERE

We have considered the Dodge caravan, too, but i really want something LITTLER.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I traded in my Element a year ago.

I miss it.

Yes, I slept in it, and yes, it carried my bike and other junk admirably. Capacity was close to the big honkin' Ford SUV I had before.

I got a Honda Ridgeline truck. Gas milage about the same as the Element, it seems. I fit my bike crossways in the back seat without taking the front wheel off.

Everyone, esp LBS guys, marvel at its capacity and how I simply stick my bike in the back seat.

Alas, I can't sleep in it, but I can carry alot of stuff.

Difference = aerodynamics?????

I swear I fill my Ridgeline up less often than I did the Element. Once a week. Element's tank was smaller, but in those days I drove more. Probably gassed up every 4 to 5 days.

The Element = a box.

The Ridgeline - air must just flow over it.
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I have a picture of the diesel engine hanging at my desk at work. (right next to the pics of two of my bikes)
    No picture of me? Just diesel and bikes?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Those Ridgelines are so nice! Boy are they spendy!

I lusted after a Nissan Titan, too, when hubby was looking for a truck. I just can't go $40k for a vehicle--can't justify it in my mind! So we got a Ford F150. It was used and tricked out and cheap and bright red so it works for me! 'specially since I don't have to drive it very often!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
    I traded in my Element a year ago.

I miss it.

Yes, I slept in it, and yes, it carried my bike and other junk admirably. Capacity was close to the big honkin' Ford SUV I had before.

I got a Honda Ridgeline truck. Gas milage about the same as the Element, it seems. I fit my bike crossways in the back seat without taking the front wheel off.

Everyone, esp LBS guys, marvel at its capacity and how I simply stick my bike in the back seat.

Alas, I can't sleep in it, but I can carry alot of stuff.

Difference = aerodynamics?????

I swear I fill my Ridgeline up less often than I did the Element. Once a week. Element's tank was smaller, but in those days I drove more. Probably gassed up every 4 to 5 days.

The Element = a box.

The Ridgeline - air must just flow over it.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    We have considered the Dodge caravan, too, but i really want something LITTLER.
    We were down at SouthCenter the other day so we checked out the new Smart Car dealership. Though I'm dissapointed that the US versions of this car *do not* have the high efficiency Mercedez Benz engines in them, nor do they have the 60 mpg diesel option here, they still do get 30 mpg city and you can get a really sweet looking rear mounted bike rack that takes the bikes with both wheels on and is not very high off the ground (so mounting would be easy).
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N