Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: 3 State Century

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

3 State Century

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm thinking of going to visit a friend in TN to visit and to do this 3 state 3 mountain challenge (I'm not sure what its official title is...the website doesn't seem to have that on there).

http://www.chattbike.com/events/3_state/3-stinfo.htm

Any of you southerners done this one? What is the weather like in May? Will it whip my wimpy little west coast butt?

y

I live in Charlotte NC. That looks like a very cool ride. Now let's see if I can convince my hubby to let me go. The weather here in may is usually quite warm and lovely. Could be rainy though. Cold is unlikely.

PS my doggie says hi to your doggie

I think the official title actually is 'Three State, Three Mountain Challenge'. I've never done it but I've heard good things about it. I had it in my list of possibilities for this year but I just found out that a good friend's wedding is that day so I guess I'll have to aim for next year instead.

As far as weather goes, unless it rains, it will be pretty warm. I'm guessing a daytime high for that time of the year will be in the 80's. But, when you start in the morning, it will probably still be a little cool. Also, it's cooler in the mountains and the decents can be kind of chilly. I would recommend dressing in layers so you can add/subtract as needed throughout the day.

Have fun with this! It's a great ride and you will love the scenery!

I was actually a little more worried about the humidity. I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills and do a whole lotta stuff in the cold so I'm not too worried about that.

skibum-where do you ski? My friend that lives in TN is an old skibud of mine though since she's been there she's been concentrating more on whitewater boating. I think she said she went somewheres around there but that she was lamenting the lack of info about where to go!

doc-is your baby a pointing griffon? Sure looks like it. They are such great dogs!

y

There shouldn't be too much humidity in May, especially up in the mountains so you should be okay with that.

As far as skiing goes, I haven't done any local skiing since moving to Atlanta from Virginia several years ago. All of the places within a reasonable driving distance are a little small/crowded for my tastes. These days, I tend to hop on a plane and head out west somewhere to get some skiing in.

I stumbled on a link that has some info on the resorts in the southeast if you want to pass it on to your friend.

Nope. She's a Bouvier Des Flandres. She has a relatively short haircut because we are in the south and she is a snow girl. Plus, they have hair not fur so you've gotta cut it anyway. The breed she looks nearly identical to is the black russian if you're more familiar with those.

By the way, what is a pointed griffon? It's not listed in the AKC

Apparently the official name is the "American Wirehaired Pointing Griffon". A couple of Pika's best friends are griffons. Her friends are brown, but I guess they come in a number of colors. I swear she learned to point from them. It's really cool to watch them "work".

http://www.awpga.com/fr_wirehaired_p...g_griffons.htm

Oh, dogs dogs dogs! Can't imagine life without them!

y

skibum,

Thanks for the link. I sent if off to her (after I checked it out...couldn't resist!). I know she's been to Gatlinburg but I think that's about it.

If'n you ever come Tahoe way we'll have to hook up. I went up skiing today and of course any ski day is better than working. We had about 4-5" of fresh though it was classic Sierra Cement at the lower elevations. I've been teaching a friend to telemark ski and she did so well today...I am so proud of her!

I'm whupped though. And to think that I have pretty much committed to riding 70 miles tomorrow IF it doesn't rain. I'm thinking I should pray for rain.

y

Where are you going to ride?
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Yellow-
    Very interesting about the American wirehaired pointing griffon. They were developed in the netherlands and bouviers come from belgium. I bet they are closely related; hence their similar appearance. I always appreciate learning about another dog. I'm trying to convince the hubby to agree to a second bouvier. But at 80+ pounds apiece he is less than enthusiastic. Ah well. I'll just buy more riding stuff instead!

Thumbs up

I did this one last year. I did the 100k version rather than the 100 mile. They have a cut off time and I missed it by about 15 minutes so I had to do the 100k. It was warm (low 80s), light rain at times, and it was one of the best supported rides I've done. Be sure to check out the profile map to have an idea of the elevation. One of the things that impressed me most was the Chattanooga Police. They stopped traffic at every intersection within the city limits for the cyclists as we left out and as we returned. I would definitely recommend this ride.