Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So How Is Everyone's PT Going...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well Walking Wounded and fellow PT enthusiasts... How is it going?

I am having mixed feelings about my PT. Nice people, but I am not sure they are doing anything for me that I could not do at home.

I just finished my second week. I have seen three different therapists in two weeks. This is one aspect of this clinic that I do not like. I would like to be assigned to one therapist to work with. But they are all nice.

My sessions start with me doing my stretches that I do at home. Exercises, that I could do at home and then maybe 10 mins of them stretching me.

I did not expect to feel any big changes this quickly, but my knee is actually more sore than before I started. I asked yesterday if that was normal, and the reply was that is should stop as I enter in to the third week. Huh?

I have learned a lot about stretching. So that is good. I think what I am missing is the link of how to transition back to exercise. I do not have a coach, so I am at a total loss of how I know when I can ride outside. How will I know when I can try to run?

The doc said right from the start to just give it a try, but that makes me very nervous.

So I am going to keep my appointments for next week, and then reassess whether it is worth the expense to continue. I will still be at a loss of how to procede, but at least it will be free!

I do now realize that whatever becomes of my training in the future that heavy stretching and leg exercises will have to be a part of it.

shoulder checking in

There may be light at the end of the tunnel - and it isn't the train about to run me over.

Wednesday when Tony stretched my shoulder there's only one position that is still tight and very painful. I was SO happy when the second one didn't hurt - I could feel the tight, but not painful. (the other stretches he does no longer hurts, there were just two I dreaded) We'll see what the prognosis is when he measures my range of motion. I get heat/stim, ultrasound, PT stretching, my exercises, and ice at the end at every session, currently 3 times per week.

My PT is with the same therapist (I believe he owns the clinic) and there are 2 aides, so there's consistency with therapy.

Rocknroll - it seems to me you should be having some one on one time with your therapist at every session - pretty much they're stretching you out, contorting your body in a way that it should but doesn't want to go. Either that or you need something specific like heat/stim just to get you able to move first. It seems my PT spends one on one time with every patient. I can feel greater range of motion with my exercises AFTER I'm stretched out (medieval torturer that he is), than before. Recovery is slow, so don't be discouraged. I think the stretching with supervision is important - I've been caught using bad posture when I start on multiple occasions, usually it's the other shoulder patient that rags on me.
    Beth

I was lucky in that I pretty much saw the same therapist while going to PT. There was an aide that I did work with a few times but the line of communication was very open so I never felt like I was starting over.

I hear you on the whole, "I could do this at home" thing. I think a lot of people think that about PT. It's true that once you know what you should be doing you can start doing it at home. For me, I was more apt to do it if I was actually at their office rather than at home. I hope that as time progresses they introduce more stretches and different exercises for you like they did for me. It helped keep me on my toes.

God willing, I won't have to go back to PT for a really long time since I'm now armed with the knowledge that I learned while at PT.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

RNRG - I think you should potentially look for a different PT. Like the others, I got to PT twice per week. My session is always with the same PT and starts with ultrasound, followed by stretching (done by the PT), followed by my exercises (she says it is good to do these while my shoulder has been stretched out, and she often will add or remove stretches based on how I am progressing), followed by stim/ice.

I have the same routine each time, and really like my PT (who also happens to be a friend and a biker).

As I mentioned in my update, my PT is going great, but I need to be a little gentler on the shoulder over the weekend .

Good luck!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

RnR - I would be starting to ask if some massage would help, especially trigger point and deep tissue work in your glutes, tensor fascia lata (TFL) and vastus lateralis (the lateral part of the quad). You should also ask them if there is a way to tape your knee that might help, especially before exercise. Bracing is good but does not provide as strong a directional correction for the patella. So taping can be helpful and it's a really easy tape job to do that they should be able to teach you.

As for when to get back to sport, they are probably waiting to see how the first 3 weeks of treatment goes. If you're still sore from the PT exercises, it's likely too early to talk about returning to riding etc.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I will ask about the massage and taping. I am going to check in with my tri buddy later today. I think he returns to work next week. He is recovering from his own surgery.

Glad to hear the shoulder crowd is doing well.

RnR, are your knees being taped? The first few times I had this done most of my body hurt (knees, legs, back, etc) and I found it somewhat hard to even walk. It gets better.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

My first PT went well, but I find doing the neck exercises to be a pain. I can do them when I'm home, but not at work. And she wants me to do like 2-4 sets 2-3 times a day.
    My neck is stiff and my whole shoulder and back on the left side doesn't feel too great either. However, the massage she did totally took away my headaches.
    SheFly, you might know my PT. Her name is Heather Stark and she used to race for Boston Road Club. I'm not sure when she stopped racing, though.

Hello all, I'm new here but since I just started with P.T. for knee bursitis I thought I'd share. About taping- on my second visit Fri. my knee was taped with "Kinesio Tex" and it's helped with support and from my knee cap going from side to side. (injury mostly result of our 90lb dog crashing into my right knee)

This is my second time for PT (last year for lower back) and it's helped me to become stronger, more knowledgeable about my body and proper form so that I was able to complete my first sprint triathlon (former couch potato). My P.T. did a little active release therapy on Wed. and Fri. went over a couple of exercises and then ultrasound treatment. On Fri. bridging, clamshells, two legged squats but I couldn't do the one legged squats on the reformer (lightest resistance) w/o significant pain. Next week they are putting me on either a zero gravity or water treadmill. I feel as if I'm doing "something" (can't run, can't ride, can't walk for long, going crazy) by going to P.T. and like I have a support team. I work with the same P.T. and aide/trainer. Next week I'll take a list of the events I want to do for some feedback. Happy healing everyone.

Beth - glad yours is going well.

Sorry RnR - sounds like maybe some different options might be in order - like massage - great suggestion Wahine!!!

I am still 2 weeks away from PT. I had an opportunity come up for a potential new case that I just had to take which required me to move my next orthopedist appt (the one where I hope to get referred to PT and be given some concrete info as to when I am back on the bike) back a WEEK! I hated to do it, but simply could not miss this potential opportunity. Sigh.

Just did an hour and 20 minutes of Tough Love on the trainer. It is SO hard to stand, even if I balance myself (with no weight) with the bad arm. I really don't want to overdo and feel certain that I am compensating for the parts I can't use by overusing other parts. I am NOT going to hurt anything else, so I am going to go relatively easy on the bike (not doing all the standing, for example, and stopping when the shoulder/back start hurting too much).

The team did 40 miles with some good but not too bad climbing (Ink Grade). I sure hope I can keep up when I get back on the bike.

Good to hear some good PT feedback - nice to have some new folks commenting and sharing their thoughts as well. Welcome to the gimpy crowd.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Lame ankle and foot girl here. Got my final PT billing statement today Does that qualify me to post here?

I'm happy to read about some good PT experiences. Mine was not so good, and I believe that my slow recovery from tendonitis (close to 3 months now) is actually because of my PT's over zealous use of electrical stimulus and iontopheresis. But the good news is, my ankle is doing quite well and my foot is trying really hard to be better. It's still doing bizarre tingly nerve things and it swells up out of the blue every now and then. I bought myself an ankle brace and it seems to be helping. I can tolerate long walks and downhill skiing and spinning on the trainer, AND here's the exciting news...tomorrow I'm going to try a short ride!!! Yahoo!!!!

Good luck to all the walking wounded out there. Hopefully by the time Spring arrives, everyone will be all better!

I am glad to hear updates. Feels good to have a support group. I think part of my problem is that there is no "normal" in these situations and I want to know what is normal.

Is is normal for me to be achy after treatments?

I asked about continuing to spin and they told me as long as I am not having any sharp pain while doing an activity and no pain for 2 hours after I am ok.

Do they really mean that? So it is ok to be achy the next day?

ARGGGHHHH. I guess I just want more solid assurances. It is part my paranoia and part my doubting nature.....

I'm going to post my guidelines here on the achy factor. I hope it doesn't just confuse people more.

General rule of thumb (there are always exceptions, especially if part of the treatment includes breaking up scar tissue):

Sharp pain is bad and activities that cause sharp pain during the activity should be avoided until discussed further with the PT

Muscle aching is OK and even good. I think most of you understand this.

A little aching in an injured joint, tendon, ligament is OK as long as it subsides within 2 hours of the activity and does not cause a change in function eg limping. If it lasts longer that 2 hours or causes a change in function, it may still be a good activity but requires some tweaking (time, intensity, positioning...)

Intense aching that last longer than a day is an indicator of an activity that you're not ready for and needs to be adjusted.

No aching in the injured tissue at all during an activity followed by aching later that day or the next day, typically means that the achig is coming from increased stress on the area from muscle imblances that are working against you either during the activity or as they tighten up afterward. That means closer attention to stretching, self myofascial release, yoga.

Phew. Hope that helps and doesn't confuse.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Yoda, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I have not had any pain in the joint while doing any exercise or spinning. Just achy afterwards. Usually a few hours later. Always gone the next day.

I was really achy yesterday afternoon, but I did a good stretch this morning and felt good all day today. So that probably falls into the third category. I am going to print your reponse and put it on the fridge!

I am going to call my PCP tomorrow and see about a test for Lyme's. My husband and I think it is very strange that I am aching in so many places at once.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    I am going to call my PCP tomorrow and see about a test for Lyme's. My husband and I think it is very strange that I am aching in so many places at once.

Thanks for the input!
    You're welcome and the Lyme test is a very good idea.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS