Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Bike Locker - pros and cons?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey there.
    A bike locker has become available - if I hurry - and I may throw a lock on it.
    But...what are the benes of a bike locker?
    I park my bike in a guarded parking garage on a rack right now. It's under cover and fairly "out of the way".
    Thanks.
    R
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I've never had a bike locker, but I'd jump at the chance. I have a large trunk on my rack, that I keep all kinds of junk in, gloves and lights and spare tube. I thread my cable lock through a plastic tab on the trunk & through the seat, which protects it from the casual thief. The contents are not secured, and while they are not valuable, it would still bite if they were stolen. My rear wheel too, is not secured, just not so easy to walk off with.

Since I live in a small midwest city I don't worry about it too much, but I am always aware that those things are not secured.

Yeah, I agree. Just being able to leave a bag, light or computer (pedals, saddle, handlebars... Portland is thick with bike thieves) on the bike is worth the locker. Will you have to pay a fee to use it or is it free?
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

I've been told that they're "first come, first served"....no reservations or fees.
    So I threw a padlock on it at lunch!
    It would be nice not to have to remove the electronics (lites, computers, etc) from my bike each time. I feel the garage is pretty safe (famous last words, eh?), but this is certainly an extra safety measure....

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Regina, is this a bike locker owned/managed by Metro at a Metrorail station? If so, I don't think you can just "throw a lock on it;" you might want to check into that lest some authority cut your lock off.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Regina, is this a bike locker owned/managed by Metro at a Metrorail station? If so, I don't think you can just "throw a lock on it;" you might want to check into that lest some authority cut your lock off.
    No...they are not at a Metro station. They are in the garage of my building in Silver Spring.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    No...they are not at a Metro station. They are in the garage of my building in Silver Spring.
    In that case, it seems like a good thing to have! Congratulations. I wish more buildings would provide bike cages and lockers (and showers).

That is awesome! I want to send flowers to your company (or the building manager - whoever)!

oohhh locker is so much safer. Glad you took it. No need to take off the computer, no need to thread cables through your front wheel and back wheel. No worry about having the seat stolen. And you can leave your pack in it.

YES TWO THUMBS UP FOR BIKE LOCKERS!!

smilingcat

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've never used a bike locker ...there are some at certain light rapid rail stations here in this city. And there's a monthly fee.

Instead during seasons when I do part of my work commute by bike, it's a communal locked bike locker in a parking garage...for employees. Still I do lock my bike against the bike post within the locker as extra precaution.

Similar set-ups in parking garages..for 2 other employers. Some were fee-based, others were not.

Still another employer site, I was allowed to park in a locked maintenance area.

At another employer site, there were concerns of bikes falling over onto employee cars (these car owners were....court judges) because it was difficult to find a place to lock up the bike within the guarded parking garage.

For 2 summers, I had to lock up my bike outside with a pile of others, at street level. A different employer.

Both Toronto and Vancouver have enough bike thieves.

I use a bike locker. I leave a pair of shoes in it so I don't have to walk in my bike shoes. It is also nice to just dump the helmet, gloves, ect and not have to worry about them being taken. I also figured it keeps people from sitting around and coventing my bike.

You'll be glad that you slapped your lock on it.