Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

"Plus Size" NW Gal Needs Warm Tights!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi gals,

Help me! Please? I'm at my wit's end and ready to give up on winter riding. This is what I need:

Tights that are:

Windproof
    Water-Resistant
    Size 2X

You'd think that I could find this. Somewhere.

I see that Terry makes some, but I don't like their chamois. PI Amfibs would be awesome since I like PI chamois, but no plus sizes. Uggh.

So, any suggestions? Or alternatives to NW winter tights?

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by stpbound View Post
    PI Amfibs would be awesome since I like PI chamois, but no plus sizes.
    My PI Amfibs don't have a chamois. I wear shorts with a chamois under my tights.

Could you do the same...if you could find some tights for other winter sports that came in the size you need? (Just guessing here...wondering if there are special Xcountry ski pants or something that you could use over cycling shorts?)

Good luck!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Have you tried the Amfibs on?? I find that they are *very* generous on sizing...just a thought

Otherwise, I'll try to think. I'm pretty sure Performance has some that come in plus sizes (probably without the chamois). I think the Novara ones at REI do, but they aren't in stock at the moment. Not an optimal suggestion, but have you tried a men's in the amfib too? They may be larger, and they aren't that much longer. Just an idea. Shebeest shorts are awesome for me, but I don't care for the fit of their tights....

Good luck!

Edit to add:

How about this: http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1833 It comes in XXL (which is usually close in size), and it isn't padded - just wear shorts with your chamois of choice

These also come in XXL: http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=27410 and these http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=21437 (LG, Padded).
    Last edited by Blueberry; 02-11-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

If you would like to try an XL in several brands there are quite a few on the sale rack at REI Flagship store right now (I was there looking at tights this evening - I put mine on this morning and they had a hole ) I don't recall if they had any larger sizes or not, but it is a possibility.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Thumbs up

My husband got me a pair of shorts for Christmas that were too big from Joe's so I took them back. I really wanted tights so went to Performance and tried on a couple of pair. They had the Portland tights on sale for 24.99 or something like that. I got a pair of mens xl, as the 2x were way too big! I bike to lose weight and was ecstatic about that!

Where I have trouble is that I'm in a size 22 pant (for now) and wear an 18-20 (1x) top. Most of the ladies bike wear is smaller than that. I think it depends on how things run. The mens stuff from Performance will work for me until I get down a bit more on the weight. I've lost 74 pounds in the last year or so. I'm pleased about that, but would love to see more large sized clothing for those of us who are truly trying to get out there and get fit and thinner!

Hope you found the tights, and if you find any nice short sleeved ladies jerseys in my size, let me know!!

Team Estrogen has a lot of the things you're looking for, and you can even search the website by specific size (rather than what I did, which was just to go to the plus sizes in general) http://www.teamestrogen.com/categories.asp?catID=53

I really like being able to search by "speciality shop" in TE when I'm looking for tall clothes. And if you can't find what you're looking for on the website you can always call them. The TE folks are incredibly helpful!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 03-06-2008 at 04:47 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson