Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mtn biking in Whistler

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey,

Anyone mtn biked in Whistler?

We are pondering the thought of spending a day there towards the end of our trip. I know this is a dumb question but are there any easyish trails??

Suggestions are great!

Thanks

I haven't but I would like to, so if you do it post back here. I think most of the Canadian mountain bikers are hanging around the pinkbike forums.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm not a mountain biker..sorry Canuck. But I have cycled on "easier" trails/routes in Whistler. There is an easy route that winds around 15 kms. or more... can pile on other roads to the route also.. to extend.

There is a also a mountain bike park...that runs near right by the ski lifts at Whistler. YOu will see it as soon as you get into centre of town.

Several bks. on the market about mountain biking in Whistler. I'm sure there is a website for mountain biking..North Vancouver...and further north Squamish and Whistler..

Hopefully Grog and others might now more than me...

Still comin' during lst wk. of May? PM me.. since am unable to start from my end.

tanks

Thanks ladies!

I know a bit about the mtn bike park @ whistler but not too much. I'm concerned about coming from a flat area & then biking there...oh dear..I don't want to get too over my head!

Shtstar-venturing to Canuckland at the beginning of May We probably won't do Whistler until the end of our trip though..

c

Hey CC!

Sorry to be a bit late on the trigger, I'm traveling across the East right now, currently in Halifax, and have limited access to computers... (Not unpleasant!)

You indeed can mountain bike in Whistler, there are all sorts of trails that I know of, although I ain't no mountain biker.

Another option, especially if time is limited, is to stick to the North Shore. I believe there are interesting trails all over North Vancouver, and Deep Cove is known as the mecca of mountain biking. There are all sorts of trails there too. My theory would be that there would be a broader variety of difficult trails than easy ones there, but I could be mistaken.

I agree that you should check the other forum...

I'm a bit late on the uptake here but YES, absolutely you can mountain bike in Whistler. Are you looking for cross-country or downhill? You'll find plenty of both there.

not sure what time of year you'll be there but let's go under the assumption it's summer.

Downhill - head to the Whistler Mountain Bike Park. Not sure when it opens but you can check at www.whistlerblackcomb.com. Lots of snow on Whistler this year so the opening could be delayed.

XC - tons & tons. Go to any LBS and get some trail maps. Don't know your ability level but there's everything from easy greens, to stunts, to roots, rocks and whatever your little heart desires.

I lived there for 3 years so if you want more info, PM me.

I did a little mt. biking in Whistler a few years back while driving through en route to Alaska. We parked at the base of the mt. and rode the trails just back from the parking lot. We only rode for a couple of hours and found trails that were fairly easy- there are fire road and single track trails there. The single track is not necessarily hard but tends to be full of tree roots (typical of a boreal forest) so there was plenty of throwing weight around to get over them. It is a fun and beautiful place to ride though.

cool

Thanks for the info ladies! I hope my leg is strong enough by then to do big hills..mtns..

Ian will def love the idea of biking @ whistler

road?

Umm..how safe is it to ride on the roads around Whistler? Are there any gravel roads I can meander on?

I am looking forward to it!! As long as there's no snow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Umm..how safe is it to ride on the roads around Whistler? Are there any gravel roads I can meander on?

I am looking forward to it!! As long as there's no snow!!!
    Well, you can't ride there from Vancouver, but there's nothing BUT great mountain biking in Whistler. Assuming the snow is gone.

Check this out. It doesn't open until May 17th though. Not sure about the rest of the trails.

I know my sister takes her boys there (8-12). There are paved trails as well.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

silly

Silly KG..i'm not biking from Van to Whistler I've never even biked up a mountain before!!! Snow I've not seen snow in 8yrs..

T's got some friends wit whislter knowledge so they might be able to tell me if the dates we're there are cool to ride..

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I can't wait! My right side's still not cool with hopping out of the saddle so i'll need gravel type roads for now Ian however will be

Although I don't have any more information from the folks in Whistler, I do know there will be lots of logging roads there and I'm sure there are a bunch that are mountain biking ready. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything more.

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Silly KG..i'm not biking from Van to Whistler I've never even biked up a mountain before!!! Snow I've not seen snow in 8yrs..

LOL, I was just kidding. Although the ski to sea highway would be quite a climb.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast